Newbie- Help Quick!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnmd

Reaction score
Going to look at a 2005 Husky 359 today to be used to cut firewood each year. I'm a homeowner that will use it to cut 6-7 cords a year. The ad for the saw reads,

359 husky for sale new carb and muffler works great needs new switch wire
i bought the saw in 2005.yes it will start .it just needs a switch wire.i used it this year then i bought 3 stihls

My question is what I should look for on this saw. Is there any known issues I should watch for? It sounds like it may be well used as he owns quite a few saws and might do it for a living. Also depending on condition, how much would you offer? in Canadian?

Re price...do a Completed Auctions search on eBay Canada to get an idea of what prices used 359s bring, keeping in mind the condition of the saw. I wouldn't go as high as the eBay prices simply because eBay prices tend to be inflated IMO.

How the hell does Husqvarna assign model names. I would have thought the 359 was better than the 357XP.

+1

I didn't know you could do that. Nice!

Regards

EBay may've changed their policy, but it used to be you had to be registered in order to access Completed Auctions. It's a very useful tool. If I'm considering a used saw (none of my saws were bought new) that is relatively common in my area, I take the average eBay price of the same make & model saw in similar condition, then reduce it by 20-30%.

The down side is a lot of the pawn shops use eBay prices to help determine the pawn shop prices! Many music stores here do the same thing with used gear.

Shawn, a search for Husky 359 or Husqvarna 359 here on Arboristsite will provide you with plenty of information. The comments here indicate that the 359 isn't the lightest or fastest in its class, but it's a solid saw, a good value if you get it for the right price. I can only speak for my Husqvarna 51, which I happen to like.

Going to look at a 2005 Husky 359 today to be used to cut firewood each year. I'm a homeowner that will use it to cut 6-7 cords a year. The ad for the saw reads,

359 husky for sale new carb and muffler works great needs new switch wire
i bought the saw in 2005.yes it will start .it just needs a switch wire.i used it this year then i bought 3 stihls

My question is what I should look for on this saw. Is there any known issues I should watch for? It sounds like it may be well used as he owns quite a few saws and might do it for a living. Also depending on condition, how much would you offer? in Canadian?

Sounds like it has had a rough life, I would look for a less abused XP model.

I would look for a less abused XP model.

357 xp and 359 are built on the same frame and have about 97% the same parts. No quality difference in the parts. 357 cylinder casting is a beter design and comes with a less restrictive muffler.

difference 357xp vs 359

Jug
Piston
Muffler
Crank stuffers on 357
Color of gas caps
Stickers
$$$

I would take the 359 over the 357 any day if I was buying, open up the muffler and it will cut with a stock 357 and leave you with $ in the pocket. Clean up the port work just a bit, easily done with a dremil and torx security bit and it will eat a 357. Port that 359 up right and it will destroy a stock 372 and put the run on a stock 395.

How the hell does Husqvarna assign model names. I would have thought the 359 was better than the 357XP.

The letters "XP" tells the tale about what is supposed to be first-rate regarding power to weigh.

Both the 357xp and the 359 weights quite a bit more than stated. All brands lie a bit about the weight now and then, but this is one of the worst cases out there (Dolmar holds the record though, with the 115 etc in the past).

I am wondering that about Stihl. How do you know how many cc's it is without looking it up. Cant go by the model number unless you already know.

I am wondering that about Stihl. How do you know how many cc's it is without looking it up. Cant go by the model number unless you already know.

I was thinking that the Stihl numbers represented cubic inches. The theory works for the 036 (3.6 ci) and the 044 (4.4 ci), but then it falls apart after that.:(

Back