Newbie intro and questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdaffy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
Great site! I've been reading through these forums and really appreciate the wealth of information available!

I am a recent new homeowner and am in the market for a chainsaw. I have very limited experience with saws (have used my friend's stihl woodboss on 10 occasions), but have grand aspirations. My house has approx. 2 acres of woods, and I bought a woodstove and intend to use it as a primary heating source for my main floor (approx. 1200 sq. ft.) - hence the need for a saw.
A little about me - I am 6', 180lbs, and in good shape . This spring I have a decent amount of clean up to do in the yard - as a result of sandy and other storms, there are about 15 trees down at the perimeter of my yard with diameters from 12-24" (guesstimate). After this, I will want to get a decent wood pile (5-10 cords) so I have plenty of fuel for my stove.

Based on what I've read on this site, it seems like basic homeowner saws are not really the way to go, and I can appreciate why - pro saws offer better construction, lighter weight, and likely more longevity - do I have this right? Is this the case even for a novice?

Also based on what I read, I recently visited my local dealers. Nearby there is a stihl dealer (the local ACE hardware store) and a stihl/husqvarna dealer. Im thinking of a budget around $500-600 and after handling the saws i sort of ended liking the stihl ms261 (liked how much lighter it was vs my friend's wood boss) and the husqvarna 550xp (which was a bit lighter than the ms261). Home Depot has Echo's as their top of the line, but they felt of cheaper construction than the stihl or husqvarna (although the echo has a nice warranty). Unfortunately I could not try any of the saws.

So here I am hoping for some advice...I dont want this to be a 500xp vs ms261 thread, but rather hoping on your opinions on the following:
  • If you like one saw over the other, and have experience with them, what makes said saw your favorite?
  • Do I need a pro saw?
  • Are there any dealers that you can recommend outside Boston/southern NH that would let me try out the saws?
  • I am looking for a one saw stable - is a 50cc saw the best bet for me?
  • What size bar?
  • Any chain recommended?

I want to thank you for your advice and input in advance.

I think you would be happy with the Stihl 261 with an 18 or a 20" bar;this because of your height will save your back from bending over as far.
You may want to price out a 361/362 in your area to have an extra 9ccs?? i believe

It may be classed as a homeowner saw

but the Pouland Pro 5020 would be a good choice for the amount of work you anticipate. At $168 it was the only new saw I have ever bought in 60 years, and the most expensive.

My only complaint was the chisel low kickback chain. I got a round corner full comp "pro" chain for it and have been working the crap out of it for several months with no problems. I run it stock except for removing the screen from the muffler. And I fatted up the carb.

Unfortunatley, MOST people believe " you get what you pay for" means the more you pay for something the better it is. Because of this errant belief they buy more expensive tools than they need, the claim better quality as justification for over spending. That MAY be the Scot in me talking!

Anyway, welcome to the forum. May your mind always be more open than your pocketbook.:msp_smile:

Last edited:
Just another thought

At the risk of starting a war....When you evaluate the advice you will receive, give the stuff from guy that cuts firewood for a living a little more weight than that from an arborist or a lumberjack.

The arborist feels he needs the most expensive saw that is well known so he can impress potential clients.

The lumberjack will almost always recommend the biggest saw you can handle.

The firewood cutter is doing similar stuff to that you will be doing. He also likely puts in more time actually cutting.

Last edited:
thanks for your responses so far...much appreciated.

jordan, the 36x saws are close to $100 over the top end of my budget, and I'm not sure the extra power is necessary? Im curious? why do you think it would be better? Also, you are recommending the stihl...what about your experience with these saws support the recommendation?

woodchuck - interesting perspective - i sure like your prophetic comments, especially that about the pocketbook!
I will do some research into the poulan - are you aware of anywhere i can test it out?

also, am i in the right section of this forum? would it make sense to also post this in the chainsaw board?

Thanks again!

thanks for your responses so far...much appreciated.

jordan, the 36x saws are close to $100 over the top end of my budget, and I'm not sure the extra power is necessary? Im curious? why do you think it would be better? Also, you are recommending the stihl...what about your experience with these saws support the recommendation?

woodchuck - interesting perspective - i sure like your prophetic comments, especially that about the pocketbook!
I will do some research into the poulan - are you aware of anywhere i can test it out?

also, am i in the right section of this forum? would it make sense to also post this in the chainsaw board?

Thanks again!

If you post in the chainsaw forum, you'll end up with a ported, screaming, wood beast.

There's a ton of low hour Stihl 026's/Ms260's for sale on ePay. If you know what to look for eBay can be your friend. If you don't you get screwed. I haven't bought a new saw in years and have about ten good running Stihls, all bought on eBay. Look for a clean one in the 350-425 price range.

The 026 is a perfect all around homeowner saw, it's a professional model, unlike ms 250's 270's and 290's. This is the last saw you will ever buy.

I like mine with a 20 inch bar and .325 pitch chain. Longer bars are far easier on your back. You can run a 3/8 [.375] pitch too. Will cost a little HP and a bit of smoothness.

stihl-026%20C.jpg

There's a ton of low hour Stihl 026's/Ms260's for sale on ePay. If you know what to look for eBay can be your friend. If you don't you get screwed. I haven't bought a new saw in years and have about ten good running Stihls, all bought on eBay. Look for a clean one in the 350-425 price range.

The 026 is a perfect all around homeowner saw, it's a professional model, unlike ms 250's 270's and 290's. This is the last saw you will ever buy.

I like mine with a 20 inch bar and .325 pitch chain. Longer bars are far easier on your back. You can run a 3/8 [.375] pitch too. Will cost a little HP and a bit of smoothness.

stihl-026%20C.jpg

leery with ebay - been screwed a few times, and not really in the camp of "know what to look for". With my luck ill end up with some chinese fake.

thanks for the input though - much appreciated.

You definitely want a saw in the 50-60 cc range. There are a lot of used saws out there that will fill the bill for sure. You may get enough firewood for your first heating season off your lot, but you will need to supplement your wood source, or you will run out of trees before long. My .02 worth, get a McCulloch 10-10, a good used 028, Homelite XL, Husky 162, or any other good used mid sized saw. IMO new saws are kind of like new cars,'the guy who buys it new takes the hit with the heavy depreciation, the guy buying it used is getting the better deal. Just how I see it.

455 Rancher would do anything you need. It would be a cost effective intro to the saw world.

Jordan3605 has a good lesson to be taught. I'm 5'6" 155Lbs. For a long time I was using a Stihl MS290 with an 18" bar by its self. I then I bought a Stihl MS360 Pro with a 20". The 20 inch does allot to help keep me going the next few days at work allot easier.

I have a family member that has an 026 and says its been a great saw for the past 10 years that he had it. I do agree that a used saw would fit the bill for your amount of usage.

I'm going to agree with the Poulan for a good one to get your feet wet with. Inexpensive, simple, and will do what you need it to. Not so much power or bar to get you in trouble. The 455 or 460 rancher would also be good choices, but they are more expensive. we've all made "rookie mistakes", and something you spent $500+ on just to get started isn't what you want to crush/burn up/bend/etc. Can't go wrong with the Poulan, and can always go bigger as you get more comfortable and experienced.

Look on Craigslist here's a list of fairly common saws that'd help you out for $170 or less. Stihl 026,028,260,270,280, Husqvarna 350, 455,460,55,51,61,242,345,359, Dolmar 5100, just to name a few. There are plenty of options.

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here too, but have already found alot of great information.

I agree with mad murdock that you will need to find another source of firewood if it is going to be your primary heat source. Check out craigslist, there is usually someone offering free wood to cut up.

Only you can decide if you "need" or "want" to spend the money on a pro saw. I just bought an ms261 and will use it about as much as you, maybe less. But I expect it to last 30yrs just like the 028 that my dad has that his dad bought.

I prefer a 16" bar for the size wood I cut, it just seems less cumbersome when limbing to me.

Here's a thread about the Poulan Pro 5020, if you are considering going that route... http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/192321.htm

Other advice,

Learn to maintain your chain, keep it sharp and properly set the depth gauges. Or buy and extra chain or two, swap them out when dull and have your dealer sharpen them. A dull chain is hard on you and the saw, if it's not throwing chips or you have to push down on it to make it cut it needs attention.

Also if you don't already know, learn the proper way to fell a tree. There are lots of people on here that can help you with that.

Intro

All of the talk about used saws is not a bad idea. Let someone else eat the deprecation because you are not going to be using the saw everyday and depending to make a living from it. Also, I have found that it is a good idea to have two saws when cutting because saws have been known to become pinched and you need a second saw to free the first saw. Ask me how I know. Since you are on this site you know what probably happens next--------------------------------CAD! Welcome to our world, I have one woodburner and 58 saws, we have to be prepared you know.:msp_smile:

Ray

Just forget buying an expensive saw and hire an arborist to remove the trees for you but if you must have one don't spend over $250 because you don't need over 40cc

My opinion, Talk with the dealers in your area. If your gut says this is the dealer and saw you want get that saw. Good dealer support is something you really cant put a price on. Somebody has to service the saw at some point. Why not get a new saw with the warranty. Any of the top brands should do you just fine as long as they are taken care of.

Basically what I'm saying is get a new saw from a local dealer you feel confident with enjoy your new saw that is under warranty. Oh and don't forget to buy the 6 pack of synthetic oil to double your warranty.

I'm also new to this site, but have cut firewood since 1977. I heated a 2000 sq. ft. home with wood burner. IMHO, buy new if your looking to heat your home for years. It took 8-10 cords a year for me. I had many farmers in my area, never ran out of fence rows to clear.

So I bought a new Stihl 031av, 16" bar. It was near $300 in 1977. I was having problems with it last year and my kids went together and gave me a Husky 450, 20" bar, for Christmas. I don't think it is the saw that the 031 is/was.

Now, for you, the expense starts, Truck/Tractor, splitter. :blob2:

leery with ebay - been screwed a few times, and not really in the camp of "know what to look for". With my luck ill end up with some chinese fake.

thanks for the input though - much appreciated.

Good call!

Being a first saw, buy new. Skip ebay and the folks here telling you to buy saw XXXXX that was a great saw in it's day but hasn't been made in the past 12 years and will have zero dealer support when you are learning. They may be good saws, but they are outdated and better ones are available. Being able to go to a dealer for help is very big.

You can cut plenty of wood with a Stihl Ms290 or a Husqvarna 455 Rancher with a 18" bar. Keep the chains sharp, your mix fresh and the filters clean and they will last a very long time. If you must go pro, the Stihl 261 or Husky 346 or 550xp with 18" bars will also cut lots of wood.

Be sure to budget for chaps and steel toe boots if you don't have any yet. You'll need a spare chain and file kit off the bat and a wedge can help you get a bar un-pinched or prevent a pinch while bucking. Hearing protection or a full helmet is also a good idea, especially when you start felling.

Happy cutting and welcome!

You don't need a pro saw for that kind of work. I heat exclusively with wood and I have no pro saws, only "homeowner" stuff. If I were to go back to just one saw I would go with an 18" bar, but 20" is good too. Makes the saw more nose heavy but no big deal. Chain for bars 18" and below is often LoPro which has a narrower kerf, so when you go to 20" it gives the saw a different feel. Get a strato engine so you don't have to breath quite so much crap.

A RedMax GZ4500 is an impressive saw with a two piece mag case. It is very light.

Something like a Husqvarna 455R would also be a good choice. Not the lightest but it has a strato engine and it's smooth and has decent power. My Dad has one and I've used it - it's a nice saw.

Back