Newbie purchaed 562xp-gw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am glad you like the saw, and I have nothing bad to say about it. But I stand by my statement.

Hang out on this forum long enough and you will see the trend of bias from one model to the next that is recommended in droves to anyone who asks for a new saw regardless of what they are actually looking for. The 421 IS that saw right now.

I can't afford CAD, I've got too much going on with guns and stuff. I'm glad that this forum recommended the 421 to me, hype not withstanding. Everyone one enjoys deriding homeowners on here (is every single one of you making a living with a saw?) but ever think that a homeowner might want something well built that won't let him down? I'm at eighteen tanks used in about three weeks on my new 421, I think that is more than many of you in the same time period but I'm a proud non Stihl nor Husqvarna owning, strictly amateur sawyer, homeowner :D. Plus, Dolmar deserves the business from where I stand.

I am no fan of hype as well, although for me as a 420 (previous model to the 421 with 0.3hp less) owner, I understand the hype quite well. Of course it isn't the magic hokus pokus saw some people like to imply, but for the same money i would choose the by far better build quality any day of the week.
Further a test done a few years ago on stihl lab equipment with stihl, husqvarna 455, shindaiwa, efco, etc. And that test the dolmar 420 proved to be more fuel economical than husqvarna 455. So for me the mythical fuel savings from the more "modern" engine clearly isn't so simp!e as often proclaimed.

That is the way I see it.

Please post the link to that test or send it to me.

At any price?
Yes. The top power to weight in a given class comes at a premium. If you want the leading saw in its class IE 550, 562, 461 expect to shell out a little extra. If you want the best it's worth it.

Again it's appples to oranges but the 421 and 550 weigh exactly the same. Grab on to a broken in 550 and you will hear angels singing when you rev her up. ;)

Yes. The top power to weight in a given class comes at a premium. If you want the leading saw in its class IE 550, 562, 461 expect to shell out a little extra. If you want the best it's worth it.

Again it's appples to oranges but the 421 and 550 weigh exactly the same. Grab on to a broken in 550 and you will near angels singing when you rev her up. ;)

Very true sir.

When you experience a majority of the 40 cc saws used in a working enviroment then you can pick out the strengths and weaknesses and call one the "best"..until then..have some lunch.

Curious, what part of "personal experience" did you not understand? If you feel superior now, I suppose that's all that matter though :)

Curious, what part of "personal experience" did you not understand? If you feel superior now, I suppose that's all that matter though :)

Im superior to no one in any way shape or form.

The problem on these forums is that particular models of saws get shoved down peoples throats by people that barely have a leg to stand on..if you enjoy your saw thats awesome , im happy.

I run the ever living balls out of saws in the 40-60cc range and respect them all for what they are..to define one as "best" is tough..real tough.

"Best" is a relative term...best at what ?

Again it's appples to oranges but the 421 and 550 weigh exactly the same. Grab on to a broken in 550 and you will hear angels singing when you rev her up. ;)

Unfortunately, the angels in my wallet won't be singing.

If you want to broaden your experience on different saw models I'd suggest attending a saw GTG in your area. In addition to being a good time, nearly every saw imaginable will be there.

I've been watching for one.

Im superior to no one in any way shape or form.

The problem on these forums is that particular models of saws get shoved down peoples throats by people that barely have a leg to stand on..if you enjoy your saw thats awesome , im happy.

I run the ever living balls out of saws in the 40-60cc range and respect them all for what they are..to define one as "best" is tough..real tough.

"Best" is a relative term...best at what ?

Best for me as mentioned by me is the price/quality intersection of the 421. Since you're making a point to repeatedly drop your experience as something that no one can question, where does the 421 fail in comparison to the more expensive saws in the 40cc range from your personal experience? Tell me exactly why a 40cc range Stihl or Husqvarna is actually worth over two hundred dollars more than the 421. I'm dead serious, I want to know.

I see it similar to @SAWMIKAZE , in the 40cc class the 241 & 543 clearly are a more modern concept and weigh less. Although as soon as the 421 looses it's cat the weight gap closes substantially but is still there. Powerwise and build qualitywise there is hardly a difference.

I think that if I can handle the 421's weight after elbow and shoulder reconstruction, that the weight argument (not that I'm saying you are using that argument) is silly. Yes, I have and do run my saw for hours. A big bottle of SuckItUp helps :D

As I said in my previous post, I genuinely want to know what makes the Stihl and Husqvarna 40cc saws worth spending another $250 on top of the 421. I am hoping for some technical discussion.

stitches1.jpg

gunshot1.jpg

This is why I stick with my 550. I want to try a Dolmar 421 but it's the same weight and less power. I agree with the angel thing lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Cough cough ... ahem .... please subdue the hype :p

Actually I prefer to call it enthusiasm!
Hype suggests disingenuously selling something not based on valid experience, but if you prefer to call it hype, I'm ok with that too :D

Great day up the mountain today cutting a load of wood with my 562 - testosterone levels instantly rose a notch (and that's a good thing for us seniors).

Doing a muff mod on my ea4300/421 soon. Get ready for some more 'enthusiasm' :dancing:

Tell me exactly why a 40cc range Stihl or Husqvarna is actually worth over two hundred dollars more than the 421. I'm dead serious, I want to know.

Some might say the 241 with M-tronic is worth the premium price, but my preference is to have a sturdy saw that is old school so when my new school saw breaks, I can still run the old school one.

I haven't ran a 241 so I can't speak to performance other than the videos out there, but the ea4300/421 is such good bang for the buck, coil spring suspension, built like a tank, easiest starting saw that doesn't feel like a toy, etc etc etc, if it happens to be a tad less powerful than the 241, that's completely fine by me. On paper they seem pretty close in weight but again, the sturdy nature of this 421/ea4300 suggests a little more weight, and I like sturdy.

As far as the 543 goes, I guess it has the lower weight advantage wrapped up, but from what I've read, it's not that impressive in build or strength.

IMHO, bang for buck winner in top quality 40cc saw = EA4300/421 :cheers: (caveat, I haven't driven an echo yet)

More enthusiasm to come :D

Some might say the 241 with M-tronic is worth the premium price, but my preference is to have a sturdy saw that is old school so when my new school saw breaks, I can still run the old school one.

I haven't ran a 241 so I can't speak to performance other than the videos out there, but the ea4300/421 is such good bang for the buck, coil spring suspension, built like a tank, easiest starting saw that doesn't feel like a toy, etc etc etc, if it happens to be a tad less powerful than the 241, that's completely fine by me. On paper they seem pretty close in weight but again, the sturdy nature of this 421/ea4300 suggests a little more weight, and I like sturdy.

As far as the 543 goes, I guess it has the lower weight advantage wrapped up, but from what I've read, it's not that impressive in build or strength.

IMHO, bang for buck winner in top quality 40cc saw = EA4300/421 :cheers: (caveat, I haven't driven an echo yet)

More enthusiasm to come :D

How old are you?

I hope I'm as perky if I ever get there.

Back