Newby Forum????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Forum???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The apparent elitism by some old hands is a terrible turn-off, making a newbie forum to segregate them from the old hands would legitimize this elitism and quell new membership.

Bad idea all around.

boo hoo, as a newbie myself i expect to catch some flack if i ask a stupid question.but im not gonna cry about it.this guy probably was a tree hugger anyway

Rick; sorry 'bout your bad luck, and thin skin...you're going to miss a lot here. We've all had our 'nads knocked here, but we keep coming back for more!

Rick; sorry 'bout your bad luck, and thin skin...you're going to miss a lot here. We've all had our 'nads knocked here, but we keep coming back for more!
Ultimately, this forum is not for everyone, especially the folks with thin skin. There's no Mommy to hold your hand and one needs to be knowledgeable to sort through some of the riff-raft. There is quite a bit of OT messages, but one needs to learn how to pick out what they want, IMO.

Once one can overcome those obstacles, there's a lot of info to glean. :cheers:

I just joined tonight...but after reading the attitude of members toward new members i just quit...
It seems the attitude of helping others has just got too much for you to handle...
I am a member of other clubs and our main effort is to help others. (newby's)
By reading your forum it seems the opposite...
Suggesting charging new members for help???
l suggest you guys let go of yourselves and put your hand to more constructive work.
I could say a lot more but I think i"m wasting my time......
GOODBYE

If your skin is that thin then it sure is good thing that you leave now. Aussies normally show a bit more balls and give as good as they get

The apparent elitism by some old hands is a terrible turn-off, making a newbie forum to segregate them from the old hands would legitimize this elitism and quell new membership.

Bad idea all around.

I dont think that a seperate forum is the answer. A seperate section that has stickys or a list of FAQs that pertain to saw questions is my vision. Im not an elitist and dont think Im better than a newb. Heck Im the rookie.:biggrinbounce2:

I just joined tonight...but after reading the attitude of members toward new members i just quit...
It seems the attitude of helping others has just got too much for you to handle...
I am a member of other clubs and our main effort is to help others. (newby's)
By reading your forum it seems the opposite...
Suggesting charging new members for help???
l suggest you guys let go of yourselves and put your hand to more constructive work.
I could say a lot more but I think i"m wasting my time......
GOODBYE

Rick, i think you should give the forum a chance. Theres a cross section of folk on here and confronted face to face you will or will not like them. Its the same with any community. The written word can often appear harsh without that intent, its just the nature of the beast. Theres some good info here from some very experienced folk.

It is correct as a few posts have noted, that becoming a member is necessary to use the search function. I joined and used the search function for a little over a month before finally posting for the first time. There is very good input and help to be had here. If join date is relatively older and post count relatively high there does seem to be more response, but this is very understandable in contrast to someone new and unknown even if they would be Andreas Stihl or Emil Lerp.

Post input, questions, help, advice, thanks, and stay in awhile and you'll get like returns (except for poor Fish).

Thanks again to many here for the responses to various questions/inquiries I've had.:clap:

So, who makes a better saw - Stihl or Husky?

:poke:

Just kidding, but as a newbie who just posted a "Which Saw?" thread yesterday, let me first apologize, and then shed a little light from a noob perspective. I had spent the entire evening (from about 8:00 pm to 2:00 am) researching my saw choices but wanted a little more information that pertained to my exact situation. By posting the question I had hoped to draw out members that had experience with my specific question (back injury, rebuilding a small consumer grade Husky, etc.).

So, sometimes we do do a search but just need a little more info or a reassuring nudge, especially from you old salts with the experience.

Whichever way you go - thanks for all the help. Hopefully some day I can be knowledgeable enough to contribute.

KLR

For some reason quote isn't working....

Like klr said, just because you're posting something doesn't mean you don't use the search function. I normally search 5 times over on any topic of the thread I start. There's been a few new members since this forum started, and something may not have been addressed after they joined. Thus, the lust for new info.

We were all newbies once, Shutting out all the newbies will destroy a site. After all the old members have been banned or retired there is no one to take their place. Yeah the same questions get ask over and over but when most everyone here started out we had the same questions. Mine were not here cause it was many years ago but i have ask many newbie questions and members were kind enough to help me. I will help someone if it is a subject that i know a little about. Which is not much,lol I feel all new members should be welcomed and helped. Now i do agree on the ones that ask a question and several reply and they never come back to respond is makin the older members not want to help.I'm sure they get tired of taking the time to help someone and they never are gratefull.

We were all newbies once, Shutting out all the newbies will destroy a site. After all the old members have been banned or retired there is no one to take their place. Yeah the same questions get ask over and over but when most everyone here started out we had the same questions. Mine were not here cause it was many years ago but i have ask many newbie questions and members were kind enough to help me. I will help someone if it is a subject that i know a little about. Which is not much,lol I feel all new members should be welcomed and helped. Now i do agree on the ones that ask a question and several reply and they never come back to respond is makin the older members not want to help.I'm sure they get tired of taking the time to help someone and they never are gratefull.
I agree ss. this is a great place just the way it is tho. After cutting my own firewood for 20 years I came here and found out how little I actually knew.

When i first posted i didnt do a search, i just asked a question. I knew the search function was there, and possibly the answer would have materialised. However, as a newbie i wanted to make contact rather than sit in the background.
The question must have been valid, although it was probably just an introduction as i dont remember being flamed.
I am a member of various shooting websites and like to participate in any forum i join. I just wonder how many members dont involve themselves and just do searches, or read post made by others rather than risk feeling dumb because of the response they might get.
Nobodies born an expert an any subject, and simple questions get asked repeatedly. Not for embuggerance sake but because people want to kick off their membership of the forum and start making posts.

Well, the site has has 39,052 members. There are about 120 members on line right now. Usually when I log in there are betwwen 90 and 150 members logged on and most of those posting are familiar names from each time I log on.

I don't know what that means but it must mean something?

How about a stupid forum for stupid questions? It's gonna be almost akin to the house of representatives, but with less spending of large quantities of money and less wasted time! And in the stupid forum there is a good chance that at some point we all could agree, at least, on how stupid it really is!

We might be on to something now!:dizzy:

Hey guys...

I definitely qualify as a newbie on this forum(I serve as a moderator on another forum). So I've answered my share of newbie questions.

From my experiences on the other forum, I have run a ton of searches both before I joined and after and read a lot of great posts/threads. Maybe make a sticky of common questions/answers.

I think that any internet forum can tell within days the newbies who are going to stick around from those who are one post wonders.

Segregating newbies until they reach a post number is simply going to make more worthless posts. :spam:

Just my two cents.

It's hard to define the term "newby", since there are so many areas of expertise and knowledge.
Even though I have felled timber for 20 years when I had originaly joined, I was a newby as far as sawmods and other stuff.
Had I just joined today and found all this info, I would be starting few threads, but just responding to threads and using the search function.
I see what Fish is getting though, I'm sure he recieves tons of questions about stuff, heck, just yesterday I PMed him about how to fix my generator. It's up and running now.
Thanks Fish,
John

Gee Fish ... this is one of your longer-lasting threads on this subject. :D

It's hard to define the term "newby", since there are so many areas of expertise and knowledge.
Even though I have felled timber for 20 years when I had originaly joined, I was a newby as far as sawmods and other stuff.
Had I just joined today and found all this info, I would be starting few threads, but just responding to threads and using the search function.
I see what Fish is getting though, I'm sure he recieves tons of questions about stuff, heck, just yesterday I PMed him about how to fix my generator. It's up and running now.
Thanks Fish,
John

I agree with John's post, especially the part in bold.

When I first joined in 2006 I was pretty green, and I read until 2008 when I made my first post. Now I have a few more posts under my username, but I still consider myself a newbie in many ways.

Thanks to the members on this site I've stripped a saw down to nothing and rebuilt it, and it is a fine running saw. However, when it comes to knowing offhand the info required to do this, I am a newbie. I figure I can get any saw running, but that entails using the knowledge possessed by other AS members (as well as a service manual or two).

When it comes to modding a saw, I am a newbie.

When it comes to recognizing a saw by its look, I am a newbie. Well, except for Jonsereds - I am getting comfortable with those now. :D

If you go by my post count I am getting to be an old hand at chainsaws, but if you look at the breadth of chainsaw knowledge that exists, I am a newbie.

What would allow me to fit in to the "senior member" category and not be relegated to newbie status?

It's a slippery slope and I'm glad that I was able to get my feet wet before such a possibility existed. Even today I am not sure where I would fit in, but there are a great bunch of folks here on AS that I am glad that I "know."

BTW, is it you, Fish, that will determine my status? Should I send a gift, perhaps? (just teasing ya, Mr. Fish!)

:cheers:

What say you Fish? Haven't heard from you in a while...

You don'y expect me to read all of this ****, do you??????

I have just noticed that a large number of "newby" questions fade off,
unless I step up and make a response, a popular forum will let them
drift into page 2, then oblivion, real quick, unless someone makes a response,
and the "newby" likely goes away with a bad taste.

Maybe, another solution is possible......

I am not trying to be totally altruistic, but I do guide a lot of customers here,
and when they go ignored, that realy pisses me off........
I just threw the idea out, for what it is worth.....

Gee Fish ... this is one of your longer-lasting threads on this subject. :D

I agree with John's post, especially the part in bold.

When I first joined in 2006 I was pretty green, and I read until 2008 when I made my first post. Now I have a few more posts under my username, but I still consider myself a newbie in many ways.

Thanks to the members on this site I've stripped a saw down to nothing and rebuilt it, and it is a fine running saw. However, when it comes to knowing offhand the info required to do this, I am a newbie. I figure I can get any saw running, but that entails using the knowledge possessed by other AS members (as well as a service manual or two).

When it comes to modding a saw, I am a newbie.

When it comes to recognizing a saw by its look, I am a newbie. Well, except for Jonsereds - I am getting comfortable with those now. :D

If you go by my post count I am getting to be an old hand at chainsaws, but if you look at the breadth of chainsaw knowledge that exists, I am a newbie.

What would allow me to fit in to the "senior member" category and not be relegated to newbie status?

It's a slippery slope and I'm glad that I was able to get my feet wet before such a possibility existed. Even today I am not sure where I would fit in, but there are a great bunch of folks here on AS that I am glad that I "know."

BTW, is it you, Fish, that will determine my status? Should I send a gift, perhaps? (just teasing ya, Mr. Fish!)

:cheers:

Your status??????

How "limber" are you???

Do you have any religous
problems with "ruminants???"

Latest posts

Back