Newby Forum????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Forum???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Your status??????

How "limber" are you???

Do you have any religous
problems with "ruminants???"

Granted I am not as limber as I was when I was 20 or so, but I ain't that stove-up yet. :D

As far as religion goes, I don't have any problems at all. :D

... oh yes, my status.

Slightly stooped as of late, but I dare say that this is a temporary condition. I stand taller every day. Well, according to me, that is. :)

You don'y expect me to read all of this ****, do you??????

I have just noticed that a large number of "newby" questions fade off,
unless I step up and make a response, a popular forum will let them
drift into page 2, then oblivion, real quick, unless someone makes a response,
and the "newby" likely goes away with a bad taste.

Maybe, another solution is possible......

I am not trying to be totally altruistic, but I do guide a lot of customers here,
and when they go ignored, that realy pisses me off........
I just threw the idea out, for what it is worth.....
Another possible solution to Newbys and threads that appear continualy, would be an automatic search function that searches the thread title and thread content that would direct them to simalar threads and posts, Before they click "submit new Thread", however, this suggestion could be just coming from a newby computer guy.
To make things easier, let's have a new forum here,called, "Just Ask Fish", however, I think he should be paid and only newbies are allowed to make threads.
It otta be a hoot.
John

Guys that are selling stuff get paid thru their advertising

let's have a new forum here,called, "Just Ask Fish", however, I think he should be paid and only newbies are allowed to make threads.

I came here needing answers on how to fix my Poulan for selling it, and I would have bought the parts I needed from Fish if he'd had 'em. As it was, I bought them from Calvin/cmsmallengines. If guys that sell parts for a particular brand speak up, they're going to generate goodwill for that brand, and $$ for themselves in a lot of cases.

PPine

PS: of course now that I fixed the Poulan up, I'm having trouble actually letting go of it, but that's a different problem. :greenchainsaw:

Segregating new guys isn't a good idea. It's just an internet forum. No matter what the topic of the forum. New guys are gonna ask the samw questions that were just asked 2 hours or 2 days prior. Just the way it is.

Have I picked on new guys... yep. But it's even more fun pickin' on the old crusty farts on here. Or better yet... the young guys that think they know EVERYTHING! :laugh:

I am pretty scarce on the forums anymore. All of it has lost it's zing to me. I stay in touch with some of my buds from here and other sites. Mostly via PM's, email, and phone calls. I still love old saws and cuttin' wood... just don't have as much seat time in front of the computer anymore. I used to read every single thread... then I got to the reading only ones that I thought were "interesting". Now... I'm lucky to read 5 threads a week. Not much interests me anymore.

Hell... most questions asked can even be answered with a simple Google seach before even coming to AS... a lot of the Google "hits" will be from here anyways. Half the time it works beter than the search function here.

I don't care what anybody says... there are stupid questions out there. But once again... that's just me. :)

Gary

Segregating new guys isn't a good idea. It's just an internet forum. No matter what the topic of the forum. New guys are gonna ask the samw questions that were just asked 2 hours or 2 days prior. Just the way it is.

Have I picked on new guys... yep. But it's even more fun pickin' on the old crusty farts on here. Or better yet... the young guys that think they know EVERYTHING! :laugh:

I am pretty scarce on the forums anymore. All of it has lost it's zing to me. I stay in touch with some of my buds from here and other sites. Mostly via PM's, email, and phone calls. I still love old saws and cuttin' wood... just don't have as much seat time in front of the computer anymore. I used to read every single thread... then I got to the reading only ones that I thought were "interesting". Now... I'm lucky to read 5 threads a week. Not much interests me anymore.

Hell... most questions asked can even be answered with a simple Google seach before even coming to AS... a lot of the Google "hits" will be from here anyways. Half the time it works beter than the search function here.

I don't care what anybody says... there are stupid questions out there. But once again... that's just me. :)

Gary
Hi Gary, I think you and Fish are suffering from burnout. Both of you give more than you take, but if you didn't do that you wouldn,t be Gary and Fish, now would you.?
So keep on keepin' on, and put down the bong and step away from the computer!!!
Gypo

Last edited:
I think you guys are finding out there are naturally curious people, as well as people that thrive on the subject of saws. I bet you all know or heard about guys that are called "gearheads".
They like getting together with buddies and talking about cars, and engines, and trucks, and gears! You know, shoot the ####! :givebeer:
Well, same thing goes for saws. Some of the guys that you say are posting newb questions are probably sawheads, they are enthusiasts that don't have any friends to talk saws to. So they post here!
We all were in that phase at one time or another, but either you don't remember, or you don't care to realize it.

Say Fish, i'll answer the newb questions for you, if you answer my technical questions? :cheers:

Truth is always stranger than fiction. Meaning that it's always exciting to learn things for the first time. It's important to know when you are the teacher and when you are the student, you bunch of "know it alls!!
John

Last edited:
Truth is always stranger than fiction. Meaning that it's always exciting to learn things for the first time. It's important to know when you are the teacher and when you are the student, you bunch of "know it alls!!
John

Unfortunately, majority of the time, the teacher don't teach, so the student fills the void.

Hi Gary, I think you and Fish are suffering from burnout. Both of you give more than you take, but if you didn't do that you wouldn,t be Gary and Fish, now would you.?
So keep on keepin' on, and put down the bong and step away from the computer!!!
Gypo

I do believe you nailed it John... One of these days when life ain't so hectic... I will get back on the boards more.

Just remember... don't drink the bong water...

Gary

Guys

As a newb it pains me to think i may have been an inconvenience. I always try to be polite, thats the way i was raised, and have already made direct thanks to Gregford and SawTroll in particular for the advice they have imparted.

The sheer volume of info available on AS is mind boggling to someone who is new to the subject of ChainSaw maintain/modify, and asking direct questions 'zeroes in' on the answer. Once i know more than that MS361's are the cure for all the worlds ills i will happily repay the favour to the then current newbs....

Cheers, Adam...

Guys

As a newb it pains me to think i may have been an inconvenience. I always try to be polite, thats the way i was raised, and have already made direct thanks to Gregford and SawTroll in particular for the advice they have imparted.

The sheer volume of info available on AS is mind boggling to someone who is new to the subject of ChainSaw maintain/modify, and asking direct questions 'zeroes in' on the answer. Once i know more than that MS361's are the cure for all the worlds ills i will happily repay the favour to the then current newbs....

Cheers, Adam...

No inconvenience, Adam. We're just a bunch of guys talking, really.

Keep on posting without any worries!

:cheers:

Ha, when I first came here and posted, I came with teeth rattling and shoulders in the air. I was searching for some parts for my big Mac and stepped in casually. I had seen there wasn't much support for the Macs (especially the fat-bottomed ones), I let my presence known. Sometimes you just have to learn to stand your ground, take no prisoners. If people ignore you, it shouldn't be taken personally. Still act civil, though.

Like others say, lots of knowledge and open minds here. There should be no reason anyone has to leave. If all else fails, keep a low profile and search to your hearts content. I probably do about 5 archive searches a day on a daily basis, never can learn enough. I will say a lot of the search results get old after seeing them 10 times, and some searches tend to bring up more generalized results by the 100's. Searches here have saved me some money too. I've talked myself out of a lot of saw purchases from reading feedback posted here. Can I say i'm more careful with how I spend my money since I came here? That's SMARTS!! :)

Latest posts

Back