Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you use the glass/sandpaper method? what grit? how long?

I have a piece of 1" thick steel plate that was precision ground flat to withing .001". A friend of mine used to work in a shop that did this work and he gave it to me. I put a 12" self adhesive sanding disc on it from harbor freight. I believe it is 120 grit. I then start my sanding process doing a figure 8 so that the sanding is even all the way around. I will sand it then check the squish and then sand and check the squish until I get what I want. It is a slow process and it does take patience. I have done about 5 saws using this process and I always like the results.

you use the glass/sandpaper method? what grit? how long?

You can use a cast iron table saw bed. It works great. In addition to 3000s notes, turn the cylinder 90* every so often. Seems to make it more even.

I sand injector bodies this way, but I do use glass for them and toothpaste for my cutting paste.

You can use a cast iron table saw bed. It works great. In addition to 3000s notes, turn the cylinder 90* every so often. Seems to make it more even.

I sand injector bodies this way, but I do use glass for them and toothpaste for my cutting paste.

I actually turn the cyliner also when sanding. I like the finish the 120 grit disc leaves. It gives the Yamabond I use something to get into and stick real well.

All right fellas, I have searched without success for a tool to press a piston pin out of a 3400 and up. I have seen some homemade ones, but wondered if anyone ever came up with with a prefab one? If not then what have you had the best success with?

Hey guys. I got this 4200-8500 starter housing with my haul the other day. Noticed a small piece missing from one of the corners. Even has the new bolts and instructions. If anyone wants it, hit me with a trade.

All right fellas, I have searched without success for a tool to press a piston pin out of a 3400 and up. I have seen some homemade ones, but wondered if anyone ever came up with with a prefab one? If not then what have you had the best success with?

It's def easiest with the tube and thread all method. I think a bunch of guys on here have shown them. I use pvc as my tube and cut the end to match the piston. Then 1/4" (i think) thread all throught he pin. Super slick.

Thanks again to the guys that showed this.

Last edited:

Here try this part number. Just put it in google and the first hit will be a good place to order from. 530031069

It's def easiest with the tube and thread all method. I think a bunch of guys on here have shown them. I use pvc as my tube and cut the end to match the piston. Then 1/4" (i think) thread all throught he pin. Super slick.

Thanks again to the guys that showed this.

pix (or post reference) or it didn't happen. this musta been done quite some time ago since i'm purty good bout keepin up with this thread.

pix (or post reference) or it didn't happen. this musta been done quite some time ago since i'm purty good bout keepin up with this thread.

Ill try to find it...lol. I don't have a 3400 apart right now and after I typed it I started thinking that may not be the one I use for the 3400-4000s... Does the pin have a hole the whole way through them or is it the one you need to press out with the strap clamp. I have one of them here too I think.

I have been ripping apart too many dif brand saws.

OK snapped some pics after cleaning with Easy Off and scotchbrite. The cylinder is smooth, no scoring, but is the discoloration, the loss of plating?
View attachment 281939View attachment 281940

The piston looks worse than it actually is. It may be toast? The exhast side looks tore up, but really no nail hangers. The intake has a deep groove.
View attachment 281941View attachment 281942

The damage is below the rings. Will new rings give it some juice back.....or just get the piston assembly?
Thanks....honest, next time I will bring photos of it all pretty, and no more questions.

I would reuse both the piston and cylinder. Or better said, I would reuse the cylinder and see what the piston looks like after I cleaned it up.
If you want my "secret" piston cleanup instructions shoot me a P.M.

Mike

Hey guys. I got this 4200-8500 starter housing with my haul the other day. Noticed a small piece missing from one of the corners. Even has the new bolts and instructions. If anyone wants it, hit me with a trade.

Did it come with 2 sets of bolts? I set in 1/4" and another with shoulders of 1/4" and threads of 10-24?

If it did, thats a Poulan retrofit/upgrade deal. Thats the heavy duty housing that can take either recoil spring type and can fit the early 4200/5200's or the later 4400 on up saws that got that style housings and the bigger bolts.

Did it come with 2 sets of bolts? I set in 1/4" and another with shoulders of 1/4" and threads of 10-24?

If it did, thats a Poulan retrofit/upgrade deal. Thats the heavy duty housing that can take either recoil spring type and can fit the early 4200/5200's or the later 4400 on up saws that got that style housings and the bigger bolts.

Yes. I believe it did. The little corner wasn't heavy duty...lol.

I wondered about that set of shouldered bolts. I don't have any saws in that series to look at it.

Mark... I have to say, you are a fountain of knowledge when it comes to this stuff. Thanks.

cowroy, Here are couple pics of the piston tool.

PoulanPistonTool005.jpg

PoulanPistonTool001.jpg

PoulanPistonTool004.jpg

Gregg,

Latest posts

Back