Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4218 $180 you say how about 50cc $165.71 to your door.

Set up in .325 or 3/8 shown :msp_wink:

325502038545001_zps10d2ea1b.jpg

tank5016004_zpsf4ac1d1d.jpg

I looked at a 5020 and I own a 4620. They seem a little more substantial than the 42 cc wildthing morphs that are everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong:dunno:
But after working on some 30 year old magnesium poulan's that were 50$ bought and 50$ for an upgraded B&C, I would rather spend my $100 there, than on
the Craftsman I worked on (or a MS170)

I need to keep it around as a role model in case them little fellers ever grow up,
they will need to know what a chainsaw is supposed to look like and act like...:msp_w00t:
and it helps me keep my balance when walking, I carry 3 Quakes in one hand and the Poulan in the other...

I actually got 6 of em but $180 only paid for 5.14 of em. They were $35 each :dizzy:

on a more serious note, does Poulan put a build date on the 8500's or is there a source for tracking down its age by the serial number?

I've never heard of those records being out there. If you look at the backside of the die cast parts you may see a date slug which will only give you the casting date (month & year) but it may help to narrow the date of the saw down.
I see them on my 3400's but not on the earlier 5200.

Is there really any speed difference running .325 or 3/8 my saw seems quick running the stock size 3/8 chain. oh and Jeremiah i found that super 70 Oregon is the darn good chain to run on these saws but hey i'm a chisel chain guy myself.

i was over at walmart and looked at the bar and chain combo's and the package had husqvarna stamped on it but the chain said Carlton now isn't that something

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with your points, but I am still not sure they are a better buy than a quality used saw. Worked on a 2009 Craftsman 4218 (358-350990) last night. One magnet was stamped in the flywheel slightly cockeyed, with a raised lip. The flywheel was dragging on the ignition. Adjusting the ignition in the flimsy case was difficult. The 18 " lo-pro skip chain isn't exactly awe inspiring ....The Chinese carb is giving me fits and soaking in a parts washer overnight. In fairness it has received no love from the owner, and had 5 month old gas in it. I will give it props for the 150 compression.

The engineering may be sound, but I question the execution.....What else could you get for $180:dunno:

Add 20$ to that and i picked up a craftsman 50cc 20'' which was a better deal to me poulan is a good saw go on down to my buddy's saw shop usually you see more stihl ms170 and ms180 saws laying in the scrap and maybe once in a blue moon you see a poulan 2150

Add 20$ to that and i picked up a craftsman 50cc 20'' which was a better deal to me poulan is a good saw go on down to my buddy's saw shop usually you see more stihl ms170 and ms180 saws laying in the scrap and maybe once in a blue moon you see a poulan 2150

I don't want to get kicked off Poulan island!:msp_scared: :msp_biggrin: ......and as stated earlier, I think the 5020 is a good value. Glad to see it come out. As well, I am no defender of the MS170. That being said, your not going to sell me on the $179 4218 Craftsman. I was disappointed in the feel, fit and finish. My refurb $99 Ryobi seems put together with more care.:dunno:

Craftsman 42cc 18" Gas Chain Saw - Lawn & Garden - Handheld Power Tools - Chain Saws

Is there really any speed difference running .325 or 3/8 my saw seems quick running the stock size 3/8 chain. oh and Jeremiah i found that super 70 Oregon is the darn good chain to run on these saws but hey i'm a chisel chain guy myself.

i was over at walmart and looked at the bar and chain combo's and the package had husqvarna stamped on it but the chain said Carlton now isn't that something

IMO yes but others will say different. I like the 3/8 for my personal preference. I have been running the Stihl RSC, Oregon CL and LGX for my 3/8 chisel choices.

The speed difference is the size of the sprocket. Generally, a 7 tooth 3/8" equals an 8 tooth .325. 7 tooth .325 chain speed will be slower than 7 tooth 3/8". But you need some oomph to keep the 3/8's moving.

If you are happy, then you is happy.

I don't want to get kicked off Poulan island!:msp_scared: :msp_biggrin: ......and as stated earlier, I think the 5020 is a good value. Glad to see it come out. As well, I am no defender of the MS170. That being said, your not going to sell me on the $179 4218 Craftsman. I was disappointed in the feel, fit and finish. My refurb $99 Ryobi seems put together with more care.:dunno:

Craftsman 42cc 18" Gas Chain Saw - Lawn & Garden - Handheld Power Tools - Chain Saws

I really do not think that anybody is trying to sell you on a 42cc craftsman for 179 dollars. If you paid that much, then you did not do to well, and you did not do your home work on Poulan saws.
I would be disappointed too, knowing what I have into my latest 365 which is about $ 75.00.

i happened to get my poulan wildthing 4018 for 100$ during black friday at lowes two years ago and i have to say best money i spent in a while and the saw before that was a blue max and it SUCKED SUCKED SUCKED

Agree with your points, but I am still not sure they are a better buy than a quality used saw. Worked on a 2009 Craftsman 4218 (358-350990) last night. One magnet was stamped in the flywheel slightly cockeyed, with a raised lip. The flywheel was dragging on the ignition. Adjusting the ignition in the flimsy case was difficult. The 18 " lo-pro skip chain isn't exactly awe inspiring ....The Chinese carb is giving me fits and soaking in a parts washer overnight. In fairness it has received no love from the owner, and had 5 month old gas in it. I will give it props for the 150 compression.

The engineering may be sound, but I question the execution.....What else could you get for $180:dunno:

1) You aren't going to get kicked off Poulan Island for stating an honest, fact based opinion.
2) Slip over to the boneyard and grab a flywheel that is made correctly from one on the hundreds of throw away's that you have been given and you're all set.
3) I've never encountered a problem setting the ignition, or seen that the case was problematic. On the contrary I find it to be a MUCH better case than any of the "other brands" $109.00 saws have.
4) That chain can be about as good as any (similar) with a good file and a few minutes.
5) I believe that almost ALL of the small carbs now are made in the same place.
6) Any carb can give one fits if it has been abused, neglected or the needles switched around!:(
7) The engineering is VERY sound and what kind of execution do you think $109.00 should buy?
8) If you paid $180.00 for a 4218, you need to call the cops..............you've been robbed!

And finally, I wasn't comparing the 4218 or any of its brethren to a REAL saw. I was comparing it to the 180 Stihl which is a saw in its class. Don't make the mistake that so many here do and evaluate the Poulan homeowner saws based on the knowledge you have of well made pro or semi pro saws. The homeowner class saws can never stack up to a pro saw, just as the best Toyota pickup ever made can't pull what a Mack can.
They were designed and built cheap..............to sell to cheap people.

I will say that it is amazing what those little saws are capable of if given proper care, maintenence, a good diet and allowed to work at their own pace.:cheers:

Mike

1) You aren't going to get kicked off Poulan Island for stating an honest, fact based opinion.
2) Slip over to the boneyard and grab a flywheel that is made correctly from one on the hundreds of throw away's that you have been given and you're all set.
3) I've never encountered a problem setting the ignition, or seen that the case was problematic. On the contrary I find it to be a MUCH better case than any of the "other brands" $109.00 saws have.
4) That chain can be about as good as any (similar) with a good file and a few minutes.
5) I believe that almost ALL of the small carbs now are made in the same place.
6) Any carb can give one fits if it has been abused, neglected or the needles switched around!:(
7) The engineering is VERY sound and what kind of execution do you think $109.00 should buy?
8) If you paid $180.00 for a 4218, you need to call the cops..............you've been robbed!

And finally, I wasn't comparing the 4218 or any of its brethren to a REAL saw. I was comparing it to the 180 Stihl which is a saw in its class. Don't make the mistake that so many here do and evaluate the Poulan homeowner saws based on the knowledge you have of well made pro or semi pro saws. The homeowner class saws can never stack up to a pro saw, just as the best Toyota pickup ever made can't pull what a Mack can.
They were designed and built cheap..............to sell to cheap people.

I will say that it is amazing what those little saws are capable of if given proper care, maintenence, a good diet and allowed to work at their own pace.:cheers:

Mike

You guys are really into lists right now...lol

I think a large amount of ADHD is required to be a member here...:)

Anyone who ever traded anything with me knows its true...

Latest posts

Back