Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, I got to thinking about all the Poulan guys here, and the wide variety of ages. I got to thinking about what we all looked like when we were ALL about the same age. Like a senior picture from HS for example. I had to scan mine, obviously no digital stuff back then. ;)

I'll be bold and start off. This is my senior pic. taken between 71-72. LOL

Me1972_zps960b64b6.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Needed something to do so I decided to put togehter a 3000 from saw parts I have. Got it all together but in doing a pressure/vac test I have an air leak, at the plug. Threads are somewhat worn but not that bad. Leak is less using antiseize compund but not sure it will hold up to the heat. Wonder if its time to do a helicoil?
Bob

Bob,

Why don't you try some Teflon pipe sealing tape with PTFE. Good to 500 deg F. Loctite (Henkel) also makes a high temperatue thread sealer that is easy to remove.

the threads don't form the seal they are straight and not tapered like pipe threads. Take a close look at the gasket sealing surface and the gasket on the plug.:msp_confused:

+100 .... I've seen saws previously worked on by NASA personnel .... they were missing that squish gasket entirely. :bang:

Just a quick update on the 5200. I swapped a new set of bar plates & a s-clip from another saw. Stopped at the store and got a couple spark plugs. I put a plug in and rested against the cyl. and pulled it over and got strong looking spark with the switch on, and none with the switch off. ;) So I guess its all good to go. I worry about not getting good grounds etc. when painting everything. Not put fuel or oil in it yet. That the next big step. As wet as it is around here with all the rain, might be awhile till I can even get to some wood to try it on. :(

5200paint053_zps4cbf49a9.jpg

5200paint052_zps2e5018d8.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

the threads don't form the seal they are straight and not tapereded to clean like pipe threads. Take a close look at the gasket sealing surface and the gasket on the plug.:msp_confused:

That's what I thought but I tried three plugs all with the same result. Maybe I need to clean the seating surface on the cylinder better. Thanks
Bob

Thread sealer just fine on regular threads. It's used all the time on automotive applications where the bolts protrude into the cooling system or oil passages.

Well I cleaned up the cylinder sealing surface to no avail. I used some Teflon tape and it did a pretty good job of stopping the leak,though it does loose pressure very slowly. Will probably work but will pick up some thread sealer from the auto parts store to see if its a better option.
Bob

HS class of 91! Jumpin Jehosiphats I've got 28 yrs on you. Now I know I'm old. I might be the oldest one on this Stickie. Please Lord don't make it so.
Bob

No worries about being the oldest. HS class of 64.

Class of 1961 here...

Well I guess we're officially geezers!

Nope , I'm still king. Class of 63. Don't know why I'm happy about this?

Gentlemen that IS something to be happy about. MUCH better to be a Geezer than not being around to shake your head at the youngin's antics. I for one am glad to have all you Old Geezers (LOL) around here. Funny thing is..............to the 20-somethings at work I'm ALREADY an old Geezer. There are days when I feel like it too...

Sorry geezers, I ain't playing that game. :laugh:

I thought your avatar WAS your senior picture:D

Mark you asked for that one.:laugh:

Sorry guys,

No senior pics from me.
I heard what the cost was and told them to go get something that rhymes with ducked!!!

I looked just the same as I do now only with more hair that was all black!!!

Mike

Latest posts

Back