Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening fellas. I had the pleasure of meeting another fellow member this after noon, and Ill be damned, two lumps of faded green magnesium followed me home. One is a Super 68 and the other looks identical but has a different tag on it (couldnt make it out). Looking forward to digging into them. any info on the saw would be greatly appreciated. should be able to get some pictures tomorrow evening. Might have to start beoming a regular on this thread. Really starting to like Poulans. Hope everybody is doing well.

Some info here. Look like neat saws Mark.

Model Profile: SUPER 68

Welcome to the Poulan site. Here's some new Poulan member rep for you.

There are some very knowledgeable guys on this thread that are familiar with the old Poulans which could offer lots of help if needed.

Best thread on the site in my opinion.

Last edited:

Steve the 330 I sent has the Husqvarna branded bar with the .325 pitch chain. First saw pictured. I modded the muffler and eliminated the base gasket. Has around .028" squish now. Replaced the ring while I was at it. That reminds me..........Joe I suggest you run a few tanks through that saw to seat the ring before making your comparison. It only has about a dozen cuts on that ring.:D

Last edited:
Steve the 330 I sent has the Husqvarna branded bar with the .325 pitch chain. First saw pictured. I modded the muffler and eliminated the base gasket. Has around .028" squish now. Replaced the ring while I was at it. That reminds me..........Joe I suggest you run a few tanks through that saw to seat the ring before making your comparison. It only has about a dozen cuts on that ring.:D

Sounds good. That 4000 should be at your house today

Evening fellas. I had the pleasure of meeting another fellow member this after noon, and Ill be damned, two lumps of faded green magnesium followed me home. One is a Super 68 and the other looks identical but has a different tag on it (couldnt make it out). Looking forward to digging into them. any info on the saw would be greatly appreciated. should be able to get some pictures tomorrow evening. Might have to start beoming a regular on this thread. Really starting to like Poulans. Hope everybody is doing well.

Waiting on the pictures, they will be nice to see. The Super 68 should be the same as the Super 72 I just posted a picture of but is 82cc instead of 92cc like the 72.

Waiting on the pictures, they will be nice to see. The Super 68 should be the same as the Super 72 I just posted a picture of but is 82cc instead of 92cc like the 72.

Will post pictures this evening. going by the shop to pick up a couple saws for the trip to TN. might have a minute to dig into them as well. will try to take side by side and get you guys to help me ID the second saw....would be interested to know because the Unknown saw has a free top end that appears to be in decent shape. the Super 68 has visible transfer on the piston face and will not move when pulling on the starter.

Never seen the sticker on the side of cylinder cover like that (always been right rear handle on all of mine). Was this something that showed up at the end of the run?

DSCF0925_zps31ab7bf8.jpg

Never seen the sticker on the side of cylinder cover like that (always been right rear handle on all of mine). Was this something that showed up at the end of the run?

DSCF0925_zps31ab7bf8.jpg

It says something about Italy (not that it was built there) and a build date of 2007. Can't remember what else it says but I'm pretty sure the EPA tag is on the handle

Joe confused me (pretty easy to do) with the last line of his post
"Heres the 3/8" stock saw which I think is a great saw from the box."
I remembered seeing the before and after pictures of your 330 and I remembered that it had a non stock bar on it and I thought it looked like yours.
I agree with Joe they are great stock from the box. It will be nice to see when he does a side by side comparison. I was amazed how quiet they are from the factory.:popcorn:

I can believe that they're quiet with the stock muffler. Modded, it's pretty loud. I never ran that saw before I modded the muffler, so I've never heard what they sound like as-issued. That internal tube setup looked to be quite restrictive. I'm looking forward to some video comparisons. Will be interesting to hear how much quieter the stocker is, and to see how much the performance is improved with a MM and base gasket elimination.

For a truly fair comparison, Joe would have to use the same bar/chain on both.............which would mean swapping rims back and forth one one of the saws as well. That'd be a bit of a PITA. I put a .325-7 rim on that saw as I'd intended to use it in the big oaks, madrones, and maples in the state park where I do volunteer work. Wanted it to be able to run that 20" bar well when 'burried'. I'm sure it'd be faster with a .325-8 or 3/8-7 rim in smaller wood.

DSCF0925_zps31ab7bf8.jpg

It says something about Italy (not that it was built there) and a build date of 2007. Can't remember what else it says but I'm pretty sure the EPA tag is on the handle

Ok fellas. as promised here are some pictures of the two poulans. the Super 68 is the green one with the bow bar. the other saw is tan with a green starter. they look almost identical. I got the top end free on the 68 and the piston is shot but the cylinder is in great shape and will clean up nice. the unknown saw is free but feels like compression might be kind of low. and it apears to have three rings? but the center ring is facing the exhaust port with a huge end gap....this is all new to me so any and all advice/help/info i would greatly appreciate. also, the rear handles have two different numbers cast on them.

View attachment 296941
View attachment 296942
View attachment 296943
View attachment 296944
View attachment 296945

This seller :msp_ohmy: :msp_rolleyes: has been the subject of much discussion in the Ebay/CL thread, probably this thread as well, but I thought that some of you might appreciate this:

Poulan S25DA Pro Chainsaw 38cc 14" Oregon PowerSharp Solid Running Saw w Case | eBay

His detailed BS descriptions make for some entertaining reading.

Unless I missed something his descriptions,though lengthily, aren't inaccurate. I even bought parts from him in the past. Found him very helpful. Least that's my opinion.

Unless I missed something his descriptions,though lengthily, aren't inaccurate. I even bought parts from him in the past. Found him very helpful. Least that's my opinion.

^^^^^^^^^

Same.

Have bought from him before and all items have been accurately listed and described.

No problems.

Well I am sure yall know the ole saying, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while........? Well I don't have picture proof but I found one today in the oddest place. Ptjeep is a member here, but doesn't post much. He is into any kind of antique tooling, such as anvils, vises, cross cut saws, etc.. Well I told him about a farm I used to work on when I was growin up, and he asked if they would care if we hunted for arrow heads. I put a call in and the ole guy said come on out and hunt all you want. Well, I remember them having a large stihl saw when I was workin down there and wanted to see if they might still have it. We walked into the little tool room right beside the milkin parlor and there wasn't even any remnants of a chainsaw or so I thought. Ptjeep said look here under an ole shelf/table sat a poulan 8500 in pieces. I retched under there pulled it out and found a flat screwdriver and took the baffle out. P&C are good :msp_biggrin:. It is complete minus some minimal hardware that I just so happen to have :msp_wink:. Well, here comes the guy who runs and manages the farm now. I ask about it and he said I would have to ask his dad about it which is who I worked for. They are father and son, but dad is semi retired. I explained to the son about tinkering on chainsaws and other small engines and he said would you care to take a look at this 028. So I don't have the saw in hand yet, but I hope to do some trading of work for the saw. :msp_thumbsup: Man I can't wait, cause it looks really good! Wish me luck.

Well I am sure yall know the ole saying, even a blind hog finds an acorn every once in a while........? Well I don't have picture proof but I found one today in the oddest place. Ptjeep is a member here, but doesn't post much. He is into any kind of antique tooling, such as anvils, vises, cross cut saws, etc.. Well I told him about a farm I used to work on when I was growin up, and he asked if they would care if we hunted for arrow heads. I put a call in and the ole guy said come on out and hunt all you want. Well, I remember them having a large stihl saw when I was workin down there and wanted to see if they might still have it. We walked into the little tool room right beside the milkin parlor and there wasn't even any remnants of a chainsaw or so I thought. Ptjeep said look here under an ole shelf/table sat a poulan 8500 in pieces. I retched under there pulled it out and found a flat screwdriver and took the baffle out. P&C are good :msp_biggrin:. It is complete minus some minimal hardware that I just so happen to have :msp_wink:. Well, here comes the guy who runs and manages the farm now. I ask about it and he said I would have to ask his dad about it which is who I worked for. They are father and son, but dad is semi retired. I explained to the son about tinkering on chainsaws and other small engines and he said would you care to take a look at this 028. So I don't have the saw in hand yet, but I hope to do some trading of work for the saw. :msp_thumbsup: Man I can't wait, cause it looks really good! Wish me luck.

Good luck! That would be awesome. Not only a 8500, but one that has sentimental attachments, too!

Latest posts

Back