Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut some pine this year. Gregg, you wouldn't believe how fast a saw goes through that wood. It's fun when you're used to hard woods.

Tim, I guess it would be a lot like cutting Silver Maple or Basswood. I have cut those before. Had a nice, tall, straight Silver maple blow down in the woods one year. I cut a bunch of it, as it was up off the ground and easy to get to. I started to pick up the rounds to load on to a trailer. They were so light...I just said the heck with it, left it lay. :(
I suppose it would have made good camp fire wood. And like our friend Mike from KY. would say.."It burns better than snowballs in January". LOL

Gregg,

Tim, I guess it would be a lot like cutting Silver Maple or Basswood. I have cut those before. Had a nice, tall, straight Silver maple blow down in the woods one year. I cut a bunch of it, as it was up off the ground and easy to get to. I started to pick up the rounds to load on to a trailer. They were so light...I just said the heck with it, left it lay. :(
I suppose it would have made good camp fire wood. And like our friend Mike from KY. would say.."It burns better than snowballs in January". LOL

Gregg,

Silber Maple is not that bad. White ash has a calorific value of 22.7 million BTU per cord and Silver Maple has a calorific value of 19.7. Not that far off and it splits nicely. Basswood is around 14.

I love my log splitter, not sure what it is but it is bad azz, Didder maybe

Mine is not so good because it's hands have arthritis. I burn about 1-1/2 cords in the fireplace each winter. I have almost that much split and stacked. I need about one more trailer load to get over that amount. As a wood monkey I get what I can. Mostly white ash now, some elm, a bit of pine and some soft maples.
The wood I get is kind of knarly crap so the chainsaw(s) comes in handy when I can't split it with a maul.
I was looking at the ash that Gregg was cutting up with envy and thought that would have split nicely.

Great pics Nate! Looks like some great country scenery there too. I have never cut a conifer type tree in my life. Wouldn't know one kind from another. :oops: I do know my Ash from a hole in the ground though. :D and Oak, and Hickory, and Maple.

Keep up the good work....and pics..LOL

Gregg,

Silber Maple is not that bad. White ash has a calorific value of 22.7 million BTU per cord and Silver Maple has a calorific value of 19.7. Not that far off and it splits nicely. Basswood is around 14.

A big saw and a nice LGX do a swift job with the conifers in these parts. There is something euphoric about the smell of D.Fir/Larch and particularily, Austrian Pine when the long chips are filling up your boots. Austrian Pine "bleeds" profusely when cut. The smell will literally knock you over when you open up the back of a canopied truck full of it. The aromatic terpenes they release when cut are strong. The only deciduous I have cut/burnt is orchard fruit wood. I do know that you can ruin a stove if you let apple/apricot/peach/cherry etc. get out of hand. The agressive pruning on that wood makes for some impossible splitting (manually) and some seriously dense stuff. I imagine apple is as close to Oak as I've burnt.

Western Larch is the most impressive conifer wood to split/burn. You can literally make shakes with it's straight, knot-free grain. I am guessing there were a lot of ship's masts that were made from those tall, straight beauties back in the day. Majestic giants, especially when they drop their needles in the fall.

I don't have a 3500 but the saw is very similar to the 3000 and 3300 in terms of design. Base on that there should be two holes, like you think.
look at page two of the IPL. and you will see the two holes in the tank.
http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/poulan3500chainsaw.pdf

I've got a PP365 a PP335 and a Poulan 3300 and they all have the vent where it's supposed to be but this 3500 doesn't have a hole there, that's why I thought maybe some of them vented somewhere else.

A big saw and a nice LGX do a swift job with the conifers in these parts. There is something euphoric about the smell of D.Fir/Larch and particularily, Austrian Pine when the long chips are filling up your boots. Austrian Pine "bleeds" profusely when cut. The smell will literally knock you over when you open up the back of a canopied truck full of it. The aromatic terpenes they release when cut are strong. The only deciduous I have cut/burnt is orchard fruit wood. I do know that you can ruin a stove if you let apple/apricot/peach/cherry etc. get out of hand. The agressive pruning on that wood makes for some impossible splitting (manually) and some seriously dense stuff. I imagine apple is as close to Oak as I've burnt.

Western Larch is the most impressive conifer wood to split/burn. You can literally make shakes with it's straight, knot-free grain. I am guessing there were a lot of ship's masts that were made from those tall, straight beauties back in the day. Majestic giants, especially when they drop their needles in the fall.

I agree, nothing like the smells of fresh cut pine, red fir and tamarack!

Not sure I am in the correct spot but I have a Poulan question. Anyone able to help direct me towards a piston kit for a '78 Micro xxv? Possibly interested in a cyl. as well. A bit new to researching saw parts. A few used on ebay but I'd prefer a new kit. PM or reply here. Thanks

Not sure I am in the correct spot but I have a Poulan question. Anyone able to help direct me towards a piston kit for a '78 Micro xxv? Possibly interested in a cyl. as well. A bit new to researching saw parts. A few used on ebay but I'd prefer a new kit. PM or reply here. Thanks
I have some new pistons for a micro I think. If I remember the "piston kit" didn't come with a ring.
I may have a good used cyl but no NOS cyl's.

I'm out till the weekend but I'll check when I get back

I have been looking locally for a bigger Poulan, this one kind of fell into my truck today. Its complete, runs but needs seals. It has shifted a few saws on my to do list.View attachment 427642 View attachment 427643

Nice find!! I'm gonna take a guess and say its a 5200. Looks to be an early one, whichever it is. Looks to be smooth front case and single screw top cover. That has to be one of the dirtiest saws I have seen. o_O I bet it still cleans up pretty good.

Gregg,

Ready to play
fcb7277d999c05567ed3fa716155d2bb.jpg

Back