Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't actually have it yet, I just saw it in an ad. I checked the numbers and the one that's on their flywheel, checks out to be the points flywheel. I'll look again at mine tonight and see what the keyway aligns with..

Okay, I checked it and the keyways aren't the same. The magnets are farther advanced on mine by 10 degrees or more. Looks like I'm outta luck on that one.

I went ahead and ordered the points flywheel since it didn't cost too much, I'll just take the starter pawls and springs off that one and put on my flywheel. I'll save the points one for later..

The electronic FW is advanced (keyway is retarded further CW), when compared to the points type, and will have an "R" as the the last digit in the cast part number. The magnet set is also reversed in polarity. The electronic will make spark on a points saw, but it won't start...I do remember making that mistake.

This 306/245 is one of the only saw series, that I have seen, that mixed the manufacturers of FW & coils OEM, as mentioned a couple of times in these Poulan sticky threads.

Older Homelites also mixed field service coil & FW replacements between manufacturers, but they documented it well with service bulletins. The reason was either lack of production volumes (Phelon ran out of parts) or contract obligations.

"I have a potty mouth"

My job for today
735096cf41dc173fa10ac040ec9c26a6.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I am currently looking for a large place to display all of my saws as the collection seems to be growing.

View attachment 516257

Mark

That's a thing of beauty! I've used lots of saws, own a Stihl, a Husky and a couple others but my favorite is my Countervibe 4000. Maybe it's just nostalgia bc it was handled down to me by my father, but despite weighing a ton, I love that saw. I'm about to purchase a 3400 this weekend and would like to add a larger one to my collection - a 5200 if I can find a good one. It's a shame parts are so hard to come by.

So I just found a 5200 for sale. Still waiting on pics but he says it's in very good condition. What do y'all think a good 5200 is worth? I'm worried to spend too much on a saw that I know partd are not available for

So I just found a 5200 for sale. Still waiting on pics but he says it's in very good condition. What do y'all think a good 5200 is worth? I'm worried to spend too much on a saw that I know partd are not available for
$500 in great shape. Unused $1000.

Sad part is 8-10 years ago I was buying 5200's for 150-200 bucks in good shape. One of my 655BP's was only 175 and my straight gassed new 8500 with a oem new top end on it from a old poulan and pioneer dealer was only 350 bucks. My two PP 505's were 499 from Bailey's new. Then some guy started this damn poulan thread and prices are like these green saws are like GOLD lol.

I have 300 saws. The most I have ever paid for a single saw was $225. They are running saws Poulan model 91, Pioneer P50, 5200 + 8500 parts saw, 4200 bow saw, mint 245a. There may be a few more I missed at that $. Most are on the cheap not running that I fix.

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm curious what some of these Countervibes cost new back in the day. I know my dad said he bought a 4000 back around 1985 for $350 I think it was. I wonder was a 5400 went for back then.

Wow I'm definitely not to 300 yet but that sounds like an amazing collection. I do the same though and try to find deals on non-running saws. The best deals are when the wife just wants her husband to clean out the dang garage haha I picked up a Stihl MS180C the other day for $20 and got it running the same day. It's a great little saw for limbing etc. I bet that 245a is a beauty!

Acornhill, can you put up a pic of your model 91. I have a model 71 in white. I've been doing some searching for a 91 can't find much, Ive been told there the same bore just different stroke can you confirm? I love poulans I want to know more about the sand cast models. Thanks

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'm curious what some of these Countervibes cost new back in the day. I know my dad said he bought a 4000 back around 1985 for $350 I think it was. I wonder was a 5400 went for back then.

Just think 350 bucks for a pro construction 65cc saw. It would cost twice that now a days, I'm my opinion it still wouldn't be the quality and ease or repair of the 4000

Latest posts

Back