Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Commented a while back about the clutches on the 4200-8500 being the same as the 306-245 and the comment was contradicted. Anyhow the clutch, sprocket, springs, bearings, shoes and all are the same. Pulled the springs from a 306 clutch last night and installed them on the 4900 clutch. While the clutches were off I compared every part of each clutch and they are all the same. Just so ya all know...

I know the shoes, drums and springs are the same but the spiders on mine are different. I'm not sure of they interchange or not.

I know the shoes, drums and springs are the same but the spiders on mine are different. I'm not sure of they interchange or not.

Tim the ones on the the 306-245 with the disc are the same size and interchange...just stronger IMO.

I'm working on a 2800 now and it has all the signs of a bad air leak. I vac and pressure tested the saw and it holds both as well as any saw I've tested. The only components that I think might be suspect are the carb and I have another I will try. The other is the seal between the plate and the boot. I made a new gasket for the carb to plate. I didn't leave the plate in when I tested it for leaks. Anyone have issues with that area? I have a 285 that works well and is basically the same saw but with a chrome cylinder bore.

Any thoughts?

I'm working on a 2800 now and it has all the signs of a bad air leak. I vac and pressure tested the saw and it holds both as well as any saw I've tested. The only components that I think might be suspect are the carb and I have another I will try. The other is the seal between the plate and the boot. I made a new gasket for the carb to plate. I didn't leave the plate in when I tested it for leaks. Anyone have issues with that area? I have a 285 that works well and is basically the same saw but with a chrome cylinder bore.

Any thoughts?
Pull the carb off of the 285 and try it...if it fixes it well then, if it don't well then back to square one.

Commented a while back about the clutches on the 4200-8500 being the same as the 306-245 and the comment was contradicted. Anyhow the clutch, sprocket, springs, bearings, shoes and all are the same. Pulled the springs from a 306 clutch last night and installed them on the 4900 clutch. While the clutches were off I compared every part of each clutch and they are all the same. Just so ya all know...

Yeah the springs look the same, but carry different part numbers. I have new here of each, should measure and see if the thickness is different. Just sayin..

An yes the spiders can be interchanged, even though they look different.

Any thoughts?

Yes I have had issues with leaks there at the boot to plate area. Mostly on the boots on the 380/330 type saws that used a boot with a bigger hole in it which leaves the flange smaller against the carb studs.

I have seen them cracked there before and found you don't want to tighten the carb stud nuts too tight, just snug them up.

I just found I have a abundance of the NLA boots for the 2800 type.

I also found a new NLA tank assy for this series of saws also. This one is the later one with the large boot hole, carb studs come in from the back and used the vent in the side of the tank. My PP365 had this type on it as it was a type III saw and it also works for the 3750 , 380, 330 etc.

Yeah the springs look the same, but carry different part numbers. I have new here of each, should measure and see if the thickness is different. Just sayin..

When i put the springs up next to each other the 245A type are slightly shorter than the 4200 type, i have many of both and they are slightly different/smaller. I agree with everything else

bc2da2dd2b71d308d5d0951b18e8a883.jpg

The springs on left are 4200 style, they are slightly longer. When you put the 245a style in the spider with shoes they are loose. I have tried It and it does not work.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I have a spare boot that I believe is good. I'll bet your right. I'll pop the other carb on and give that a try first. There is a possibility the plate may have been cocked a bit so I'll be careful putting it back together this time. Other than that, I can only figure the boot may be a little thin where the plate seals it and the plastic it passes through may be interfering. Kind of grabbing at straws here.
I don't give up easily.

bc2da2dd2b71d308d5d0951b18e8a883.jpg

The springs on left are 4200 style, they are slightly longer. When you put the 245a style in the spider with shoes they are loose. I have tried It and it does not work.

Sent from my LG-D800 us

If ya could measure the new ones and post what ya come up with. Like I said I switched the springs out from the 306-245 clutch on to the 4900 clutch and used it yesterday to cut about a half load of ash and the clutch seemed to work just like its supposed to.

Yes I have had issues with leaks there at the boot to plate area. Mostly on the boots on the 380/330 type saws that used a boot with a bigger hole in it which leaves the flange smaller against the carb studs.

I have seen them cracked there before and found you don't want to tighten the carb stud nuts too tight, just snug them up.

I just found I have a abundance of the NLA boots for the 2800 type.

I also found a new NLA tank assy for this series of saws also. This one is the later one with the large boot hole, carb studs come in from the back and used the vent in the side of the tank. My PP365 had this type on it as it was a type III saw and it also works for the 3750 , 380, 330 etc.

I had a little time this morning to check it out. I put the plate on and covered the hole. Vacuum check is great. Put it back together (different HDA 49). It's leaking gas at the
carb / plate junction.

The old gasket looks a little thicker than the stuff I use so I think I'll make a thicker gasket or maybe Motoseal two thinner pieces together. Both surfaces look good so other than that, I'm not sure why it would leak there.

If ya could measure the new ones and post what ya come up with. Like I said I switched the springs out from the 306-245 clutch on to the 4900 clutch and used it yesterday to cut about a half load of ash and the clutch seemed to work just like its supposed to.
Yes I will measure, the issue I was having is the 245A springs fell out of the shoes. They were not a right fit Like the 4200 shoes.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back