Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just finished my latest Pulan project yesterday. A little 38cc Micro with AV made mostly from parts from two saws (and a bit of a third) of different versions.
It should have been a quick slap together with a few simple mods. They are likely the most simple Poulans I've worked on and a good saw to do an entire strip down and fix up.

I won't go through the gorey details, but I had that thing apart three times. More from my lack of attention than from some of the surprises I got.

Feeling a little stupid.

I think I have more time in this Micro than I have in any saw I own.

Runs and oils fantastic now.

On another non Micro note. I pulled the cylinder off my 336 as there were lines that looked like scoring (black color) on the rear cylinder wall. I'm not sure what it was but I couldn't feel it and it buffed our easily with some 600 grit emery. I'm guessing some carbon from sawdust ingestion.

Getting tired of base gasket deletes waiting for the Motoseal to dry, I bought some Fel-Pro Karropack gasket sheet at a thickness of 0.015". Cuts easily and thin enough. The original gasket was .020". The squish is over .030" but it pulls 175 psi cold compression with the original gasket.

Pics of ya micro. For some reason I like those little saws too.

Here it is Steve in all it's glory. If it was closer to Christmas I could do the Twelve Days of screw ups putting this together.

I do like working on saws though despite the Oh PhXXks.

Interesting to note that the Craftsman models have a plastic guard over the muffler while the Canadian Tire model does not. The mounting holes are there ahead of the muffler but are not tapped. The AV system is from a Craftsman saw. The Canadian Tire saw had what I would call a partial AV system.

After sitting three days, it burps on three or four pulls with choke and fires up on two more choke off. I think that's about how it should be. If run out of fuel, a prime to the carb is worth the time. After it's been running. one pull does it.

They are likely the best bargain basement saw ever built.

DSCF3351.JPG DSCF3352.JPG

Here's my jelly bean collection (minus a couple on display in my garage/shop) and some of my other Poulans. I'll get to em one of these days. I'm in the process of a major clean-up and reorganization of my barn and counted 37 Poulans of various 'brands' and colors. So do a $hit ton of little ones qualify as equal to one big one? LOL

JellyBeans.jpg

And on those base gasket deletes, ditch the Threebond and switch to Dirko. No waiting for anything. Slap it together and run it. Only needs to be applied to one surface, too..., which is convenient and a lot less sloppy for base gasket deletes when trying to keep sealant out of the case, getting into bearings, etc. Also much easier to clean up and re-apply if necessary. Guys shy away from (or boycott) Dirko just because they think it's a Stihl product. It isn't. Made by a German company called Elring and been used in the Euro auto industry forever. If it's good enough for Porsche, should be good enough for a Poulan Micro! I've never had a problem with it.

I just finished my latest Pulan project yesterday. A little 38cc Micro with AV made mostly from parts from two saws (and a bit of a third) of different versions.
It should have been a quick slap together with a few simple mods. They are likely the most simple Poulans I've worked on and a good saw to do an entire strip down and fix up.

I won't go through the gorey details, but I had that thing apart three times. More from my lack of attention than from some of the surprises I got.

Feeling a little stupid.

I think I have more time in this Micro than I have in any saw I own.

Runs and oils fantastic now.

On another non Micro note. I pulled the cylinder off my 336 as there were lines that looked like scoring (black color) on the rear cylinder wall. I'm not sure what it was but I couldn't feel it and it buffed our easily with some 600 grit emery. I'm guessing some carbon from sawdust ingestion.

Getting tired of base gasket deletes waiting for the Motoseal to dry, I bought some Fel-Pro Karropack gasket sheet at a thickness of 0.015". Cuts easily and thin enough. The original gasket was .020". The squish is over .030" but it pulls 175 psi cold compression with the original gasket.

I have never, ever took time for Motoseal to dry. Slap it on and start it up. Even when sealing gas tank gaskets on 306/245 saws, seal em up and pour fuel in them and never had a problem with the stuff.

In God's country. Big timber Castle Rock Oregon
cffa5ce8247d2d7a7e87e7c7ee96df95.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Big trees

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Big trees out this way indeed. I am envious of all the Easterners and their fat hardwood though. Never cut an Oak, Ash etc. But, there is something majestic about staring down a big Doug or Western Larch. The smell is something else when cutting them. Plus...that softwood makes your saws find another gear.

I have never, ever took time for Motoseal to dry. Slap it on and start it up. Even when sealing gas tank gaskets on 306/245 saws, seal em up and pour fuel in them and never had a problem with the stuff.

The only time I've had an issue is using Motoseal to replace a base gasket. It was on that PP180 Micro. It either blew it out or sucked it in so I usually leave it for a day or so. As far as other applications, it's ready to go quickly.

Latest posts

Back