Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clean old muscle ! 245 A . Still had letter paint on bar and poulan chain on it when I got it . Had a nos bar on the wall so I put it on . Starts and runs great . Way over oils , someone drilled the oil jet. Ill silver solder it shut and redrill correct . Anybody have a spike to scan ?

View attachment 648634 View attachment 648635 View attachment 648636
Nice saw!

What oil jet are you talking about? There are no so called oil jets in them. Are you talking about the check valve by the bar pad?

Nice saw!

What oil jet are you talking about? There are no so called oil jets in them. Are you talking about the check valve by the bar pad?

Yes the check valve . Screw slot and hole in the middle . Looked just like a jet through my beer goggles last night. Guess that saw just is a heavy oiler. Will give my Echos a run oiling . Sober it still looks like someone drilled the end of it .

That P306/245 oil pump design is one of the best designed! You can always run a higher viscosity bar oil
to slow it down. Even though the bar oil tank is wisely separated from the crankcase, the hot weather
makes it flow even more.

I attached an old Texas A&M engineering student paper to see the possible thicker oil options.

The check valve is 5300-23077, still available & cheap if you need a new one.

Attachments

• Bar Oil Cost Benefit Analysis - Redacted.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 26
That P306/245 oil pump design is one of the best designed! You can always run a higher viscosity bar oil
to slow it down. Even though the bar oil tank is wisely separated from the crankcase, the hot weather
makes it flow even more.

I attached an old Texas A&M engineering student paper to see the possible thicker oil options.

The check valve is 5300-23077, still available & cheap if you need a new one.

Good read Randy. Thanks for posting that.

Finally got one of my bucket list Poulans! Picked up this whole bundle for a killer deal - averaged out the 4200 was like $25 bucks - New chaps. 2 Stihl MS 250's, Poulan 4200:clap2:, Little wonder trimmer, Box O chains and stuff.:rock:Everything is super dusty/dirty but should clean up real nice. A little tinkering and they all should be runners.

DSCN6268.JPG DSCN6267.JPG

Nice haul you have there, out of all the stuff, not the saws, I like that D handle, you need my address to send it to me.

There was still a pile of stuff stuff at the sale when I left.... Sent you a PM.

Edit -- I thought you meant the trimmer. The shovel was part of the deal. Pretty sure it is stainless.

The 4200 is a runner. Took a while to get it primed but once running it just sat there jumping all around nice and happy. So far only found a patch of surface cancer on the clutch cover and missing a couple screws. The bar is pretty bad but picked up a this bar at a GTG last fall for a special occasion. I think it should mount right up but think the chain that came with the bar I think it is going to be too short. Muffler is way carboned up so will hit it with the propane torch before cleaning up and painting. Once the 4200 is cleaned up and wood worthy it's going to stay as it is with all of the nice patina. :)

DSCN6270.JPG

Latest posts

Back