Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep matching up car paint the same way. Same code and mix off just hair. Boy did that pizz me off on a brand new IROC hood back in the day because of acid rain crap.
They got the base paint code wrong. I kept telling the person base 3 but they said it was base 1 and would be the same color. Boy they were wrong and I was hot. Went back to store about it and the person wasn't there, been transferred for screwing up paint orders. No question was asked, mixed me a gallon and said sorry and have a good day.

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Picked up a super clean original owner 3400, manual, and Poulan casePoulan 3400.jpegPoulan 3400 1.jpegPoulan 3400 2.jpegPoulan 3400 3.jpegPoulan 3400 4.jpegPoulan 3400 12 stuffed inlet.jpeg, very lightly used by appearance from an older gentleman. Rinsed some heavy oil deposits out of fuel tank, which had a spare old fuel line in it, took the line that was hooked up out and put a new fuel line on and back washed the fuel filter out. Cleaned the carb both sides of carb parts are soft/pliable. The fuel inlet on the carb was stuffed full of dust/goo. Put it back together, fueled up, and got it running. Would fall on its face with trigger pull so opened up the low from 1 turn to about 1.5 turns. Running and oiling pretty good. $50 bucks and 15 miles one way, it was a good day.

You lucky dog! I saw this on CL yesterday and reached out but no response. That is a super clean example and a great find. Glad you go it, Max.
Yeh, I didn't think I was going to get a reply either but they did finally get back to me. Had to do a go between from the gentleman's progeny back to the owner then back to me. Got it done though!!
That would have been a 1.5 hr trip from Richmond...not a dealbreaker for you?

I likely would have had one of my clients pick it up for me and then grabbed it the next time I was down in the area. To be clear I don't do that too often. However, I MAY have driven down for one that nice and grabbed lunch at Hoss's Deli or another good place. Max.

Picked up a super clean original owner 3400, manual, and Poulan caseView attachment 952084View attachment 952090View attachment 952091View attachment 952092View attachment 952093View attachment 952096, very lightly used by appearance from an older gentleman. Rinsed some heavy oil deposits out of fuel tank, which had a spare old fuel line in it, took the line that was hooked up out and put a new fuel line on and back washed the fuel filter out. Cleaned the carb both sides of carb parts are soft/pliable. The fuel inlet on the carb was stuffed full of dust/goo. Put it back together, fueled up, and got it running. Would fall on its face with trigger pull so opened up the low from 1 turn to about 1.5 turns. Running and oiling pretty good. $50 bucks and 15 miles one way, it was a good day.

That's a Lucky find and for only $50, STEAL!!!,
All's you Need are the Spikes.

Mad3400

I bought one of those brand new in 1983; was mine manager for an underground silver mine in the Slocan Valley of the BC West Kootenays at the time and needed a good saw for the windfalls that would blow down over the mine access road regularly. Was proud as punch; first new saw I ever bought. It was still in that condition when it was stolen about 5 years later; been in a funk about the quality of some of humanity ever since. I did replace it with two used eBay 3800's a few years later though when working in logging; gifted them to my young neighbour a couple of years ago.

But I remember the owner of the chainsaw shop down the valley where I bought it, really nice doukhobor fellow--'Dis good saw!--but dem demn loggers von' buy it--it not ornch'. Apparently they would buy nothing but Husqvarna, Jonsered or Stihl.

Memory says it cost me about $325 with taxes.

Picked up a super clean original owner 3400, manual, and Poulan caseView attachment 952084View attachment 952090View attachment 952091View attachment 952092View attachment 952093View attachment 952096, very lightly used by appearance from an older gentleman. Rinsed some heavy oil deposits out of fuel tank, which had a spare old fuel line in it, took the line that was hooked up out and put a new fuel line on and back washed the fuel filter out. Cleaned the carb both sides of carb parts are soft/pliable. The fuel inlet on the carb was stuffed full of dust/goo. Put it back together, fueled up, and got it running. Would fall on its face with trigger pull so opened up the low from 1 turn to about 1.5 turns. Running and oiling pretty good. $50 bucks and 15 miles one way, it was a good day.
That's a (You Sux Saw). Good find, that is super nice. Congrats [emoji322].

Steve from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Got after it on some SYP that's been down a couple years. 20" bar and the chain was making chips without a file yet. It does have safety chain which I'm not a fan of but it cut and ran very well. View attachment 952220
You have me hankering to get the 4000 going. Hope to find the air filter and cover soon.

Very nice 3400, congratulations!

Why do so many of you think chain saws need spikes? IMHO, they just block part of your bar length from being used. As all of you fully know and it is so self evident that a properly sharpened chain with properly adjusted rakers will self feed. Are Spikes for many you a crutch for not properly sharpening and adjusting the raker height?

Lets go Bradan!

Very nice 3400, congratulations!

Why do so many of you think chain saws need spikes? IMHO, they just block part of your bar length from being used. As all of you fully know and it is so self evident that a properly sharpened chain with properly adjusted rakers will self feed. Are Spikes for many you a crutch for not properly sharpening and adjusting the raker height?

Lets go Bradan!
Like everything else , they have their place. I seldom use the while cutting firewood and if a firewood saw has some on it they are small. Felling in where the come in to play more for me but I am far from expert. You are certainly correct that they should not be used in lieu of sharpening your chain. A good sharp chain does a good job of pulling itself in.

If you are intent on getting a bucking spike, go oem. and not the one that attaches to the bar studs.
The one I marked looks OEM and stated as such.

I used my first saw with a 20" bar for 25+years without a spike. It wasn't until I got my 385XP many years ago with dogs that I realized how useful they are. My chains are always making chips not dust so pulling into wood isn't the reason for a spike. I dont worry about the spike limiting what I can cut as I'm fortunate enough to have longer bars/saws if I need it. A spike is just a useful addition, can you live without it? Yep. Plus a saw just looks cool with em.....If I could afford a hot rod, it would have a nice set of pipes and sweet wheels, same idea.

Just bought a 1982 Countervibe 3.4.(parts saw). Tore carb apart to clean, dont have a kit yet, will not idle even with idle speed turned way up, screws at 3/4 turn low and 1/2 to 3/4 turn high. only runs at about 1/8 open on butterfly, but revs normally.Seems rich, adjusted, cleaned needle.check valve flat,not stuck,clean. Probably excessive auto oiler.Good fuel lines, acceptable vent.Decent compression, piston looks more than good.Cant see anything that obvious to where it would not idle.Wondering if previous may have switched low and hi screws. Edit:Any saw I can't figure whats wrong is deemed a parts saw, lol. EDit #2: Finally deduced the PO inserted the wrong plate gasket in the carb.Guess I know now why she didn't idle since the idle circuit was effectively blocked off,lol.Went to cut wood, put cylinder cover on,saw starts,stalls, guess I'm pinching the gas line, put it away before i started throwing saws around the yard.
Well crap, looked at the new (to me) Poulan 3400 today.Sure enough, I pinched the fuel line with the cylinder cover.Started normally from cold,revs up, oils (a ton) cuts well.So much for being a parts saw, I don't have the heart.

I have used a 320 grit ball hone. Some people do some do not.
If I open the ports a little with a burr then running a hone can take any sharp edges off of the ports that might hang up a ring.
Roger you have done this on bare bore saws like 3400 etc? I never tried doing a bare bore before, was to scared.

Others I do on every rebuild. Love the results.

After cleaning any transfer. Then quick crosshatching for new rings.

\j2077cylint.jpgj2077cylext.jpgj2077cccc.jpg

Latest posts

Back