Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about a close one. Wife parked one of the riders and trailer while picking up sticks etc.
She been picking up limbs all morning.

Big one from Tor 1 came out yesterday. Big one still hung up from Tor 2 that helped knock this one around to start path down.

I always grab the lightest saws for the work at hand anymore. Little hacked on echo 490 one of the lightest 50cc out there so it gets grabbed first anymore in that size. Still it gets heavy to me at the end of the day cutting. Chrome bore 3.3 back up to it just in case.

map1.jpgmap11.jpgmap111.jpgmap1111.jpg

Don't know what i would do, never had to deal with a twister. Back in the 70 i went camping and the wind blew about 15 pine trees down across the road. Some of the campers had saws and made quick work of them. That was my first time seeing a chainsaw doing its thing.
Since 94 we have only lost 1 building so far. Knock on wood. 🙏

Old 70x55 2 story barn 2006 with all my 60's cars in there. 100mph

Tor 1 didnt rip anything I could find off house. Tor 2 ripped 2nd story fasica off front . I put that back up there already.

So these near misses and tree damage and losses no problem.

I feel for those folks that I seen pics of close by losing houses.

barn699.jpg

I've now moved on to a Snapper 1838 (made by Poulan,identical to a Sears/Craftsman saw),troublesome little devil.I had a helluva time getting a new return fuel line in last yr.& set it aside.I picked it back up a couple of days ago & finally got the return fuel line in.I fueled it up & it'd run for a minutye,then die.This went on for quite some time till I couldn't restart it at all.This a.m. I started it & had it running for about 5 min.before it died.I pulled the carb & found the inlet screen had a lot of fine crud in it (I'd rebuilt it last yr.).I ended up losing the screen while trying to clean it & ended up putting a new screen in.I got it back together & on the saw & now the saw will only run on a prime.I also found the line going from the purge bulb to the carb had a kink in it & put a new line on.This little bugger will be sitting for perhaps another yr.as I have thumb surgery on Fri.& won't be able to do anything for at least 6 weeks.

I got this 3000 in a trade. The piston was seized but I was able to save it with new rings. After going through pretty much everything, it would run good but seem just a bit off. I finally realized I had a carb on a 3450 carcass that would work. It’s the HDA164 that I read can be problematic. After getting it dialed in, it runs, idles, revs, & restarts as it should. I have five tanks through it so it seems to be good. I really like this saw.
E5B88930-4A81-480A-941A-E5AD86566346.jpeg

I got this 3000 in a trade. The piston was seized but I was able to save it with new rings. After going through pretty much everything, it would run good but seem just a bit off. I finally realized I had a carb on a 3450 carcass that would work. It’s the HDA164 that I read can be problematic. After getting it dialed in, it runs, idles, revs, & restarts as it should. I have five tanks through it so it seems to be good. I really like this saw.
View attachment 1104821
That 3000 definitely worth saving. Persistence pays off (some times).

Always wanted a 245, built one from a 306 and an acquired 245SA engine/crankcase. Runs and idles good. Haven’t put it to wood yet
This clone still sports the 306 tank/air filter cover. I have a 245 tank, but no AF cover or taller bar. The 306 bar will clear the 245 tank and it’s possible to use, but kinda tight. Hand will be touching the tank. Both the 245 engine and 306 donor saw were points ignition. I used a new gasket between the starter assembly and points box. Lubed the points felt on the backside of the flywheel. New Reed and carb gaskets. Rebuilt carb and fuel lines.

View attachment 1104821
I have 2 of the sears version of that. I think they are 3.3. I just like the feel of those 2 saws.

I bought a 6' double sided snapper sign from Dave years back. I split it to give my brother half to hang up too.

Then Dave gave me some dealer stuff for snapper at Sawfest last year. I just got the box facing out up on a shelf.

snapper2.jpgsnapper22.jpgsnapper1.jpgsnapperbox.jpgsnapperboxxx.jpgsnapperboxx.jpg

Yes, I thought I had this saw worked out 1/2 dozen times. I used the 3450 tank so I could use the carb boot. It is nice to finally get it right.
I had one do that to me with an air leak. Carb spray pin-pointed me in the right direction. My buddy has a big Poulan I can have, I think it’s a 7700 or something. I guess free and in need of love

View attachment 1104821

Love those thin ring 49cc cc saws. Little hotrods. PP305 3000.

I sell them instead of keeping those due to the thin ring pistons are hard to find for me. Cant find any replacements when needed even in rings alone. So take care of them.

Also why I swap 335 yellow thin ring saws to the thick ring piston when needed. But never found one I could do that for 3000 PP305.

My 305 is in that pic cutting above the camaro. Sold it local if I recall right to a friend at work.

Original poulan crew I used to work with many years ago. 305 in that pic too.

p3000.jpgp3000zzz.jpgpsawsssssssssss.jpg

Latest posts

Back