Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He barely did get the pics to show up ..............and YOU want VIDEO!!!!!
What a friend!!!LOL

Mike

It was intended as a joke because of the trouble he was having. Guess my humor chip is disfunctional right now. :msp_unsure:

That's a sweet Pioneer err I mean Poulan there Mark!!!!!

Those are great saws for sure. I have a P50 that is a really strong runner. That saw of yours is around 100cc ain't it?!?!?

great looking saw Mark.

I got a chance to get into a little wood with my 330 today. I have an oak tree that is about 42" in diameter, perhaps a little more. The last ice storm we had broke off the entire crown of the tree and landed it in my driveway. Today was the first chance I have had to get it cleared up. I grabbed the Poulan 330 and the Dolmar 7900 just in case I needed it. I never even started the Dolmar. I limbed and cut up the entire crown of the oak with the 330. I hauled away most of the small stuff to a brush pile. I gained a new appreciation for the 22" bar. Now that I am an old fart the added reach without bending is much appreciated. It didn't bother me to bend over 30 years ago...

I didn't even use up a tank of fuel. The only way I can think of that they could improve the 330 is to install a compression release. The only other saw that I own that pulls over anywhere near as hard is my old Homlite 923. The 330 has stout compression perhaps due to its mild port timing and it sure does not take kindly to a half hearted pull. :msp_ohmy:

All in all the 330 exceeds all my expectations. I cut several "Y" sections that were far to heavy for me to move in one piece. I "noodled" them in half with little effort. The saw oiled well and the origional chain is still pretty sharp and require no adjustment. It is slightly loose now but for a new chain it is remakable. If this isn't the best $179 I ever spent on a new saw, I don't know what was.:hmm3grin2orange:

This was the first actual bit of tree butchering I have had a chance to do in a while. As soon as I get the branches cleaned up and stacked I will attack the trunk. This tree was grown in an open area and had a short trunk and a massive crown.

182133d1304219138-dscf0108-jpg

182134d1304219151-dscf0110-jpg

That looks like a perfect tree for that Poulan!
I just shake my head when people who haven't ever bothered to run one talk down about them.
They will spank the equivalent models from the "major" manufacturers and do it cheaper and with less weight.

Mike

The compression on mine is shocking. I ran it a little last year cutting up some small stuff, and I don't remember it having that much compression. I must have run it just enough to get the rings seated a little. It is way stronger now. If you don't give it all your attention it will pop back and straighten your fingers out. I need to turn up the idle just a tad, I was having so much fun noodling oak "Y's" today I didn't take the time to mess with it. I am going to put my compression tester on it in the morning and see what it is blowing. I have some wicked strong saws, my P-85 Partner and the Homelite 923 but this thing doesn't take a back seat to either of them in the compression department and it is only 54cc's instead of 82 and 85...it will put the hurt to your fingers....:hmm3grin2orange:

My 330 was at 200psi when I first built it. I doubt if it's that high now as it had a little oil in the jug from assembling it. Like you said Stephen, it'll hurt them fingers if you ain't paying attention. I would like to have another one to port wildly just for cant racing at GTGs. The look on a fellers face when a "cheap" Poulan blows his Stihl or Husqvarna away is priceless. :D

My 365 is like that with the assembly lube still in there it was 197.
I thought SURELY it would drop when I ran it, and it did.........................to 190.
It has stayed right there since then and yes you'd better not have anything on your mind but that saw when you start it or it WILL bite you!

Nik couldn't believe the runout on that cylinder when he shaved the base.
There was about 5 cylinders there that day and the Poulan had the best machined cylinder there by FAR.
Less than .001 for all 4 corners.
Made the new Stihl and Husky cylinders all look like junk!LOL

They really DON'T make them like that anymore.

Mike

My 365 is like that with the assembly lube still in there it was 197.
I thought SURELY it would drop when I ran it, and it did.........................to 190.
It has stayed right there since then and yes you'd better not have anything on your mind but that saw when you start it or it WILL bite you!

Nik couldn't believe the runout on that cylinder when he shaved the base.
There was about 5 cylinders there that day and the Poulan had the best machined cylinder there by FAR.
Less than .001 for all 4 corners.
Made the new Stihl and Husky cylinders all look like junk!LOL

They really DON'T make them like that anymore.

Mike

I've turned down a cylinder base or two, and honestly, the Poulan cylinders are the truest. Mahle's are second. I hate to say this but the Stihl (non-mahle) are the worst I've seen.

Lemmie try this since I cannot upload to the site.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Now there here at least anyway.

Guys go rep Jerry, "Pioneerguy" for helping me out with this one! A Poulan Pro 655 High Performance. He is a great guy around here for sure.

Not had a chance to go over it much but it seems to be a great one.

I dont care if Pioneer designed it, Poulan adopted it and its a great one no matter how you look at it.

The decals are gone because it seems they were used to help Joe create new ones for it and Joe says they should be ready any day.

Lookathere, an old dog can find a bone every now and then, great saw Mark, that one is on my short list for sure.

Too bad Poulan didn't have all you 330 fans around a few years ago with your testimonials. They might still be selling them. I personally wouldn't have one. In fact I'm tired of looking at all this Poulan green and yeller junk. Might just give it all to the junk man including the 655, 8500, 7700, 4400, 4200, 5200 and all them sorry 3700's and 4000's. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Too bad Poulan didn't have all you 330 fans around a few years ago with your testimonials. They might still be selling them. I personally wouldn't have one. In fact I'm tired of looking at all this Poulan green and yeller junk. Might just give it all to the junk man including the 655, 8500, 7700, 4400, 4200, 5200 and all them sorry 3700's and 4000's. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

So, how far along are you on your 330 Homelite?
:cheers:

Some of you fellas have been coming up with some mighty fine Poulan saws lately!:clap: Number37's 8500 and Mark, your 655 to name a few. Two of the Three Holy Grails to a poor old Poulan guy for sure. Those being the 8500, 655BP and 6000 to me anyway.
I got to experience the joy of putting a recoil spring in a 4200 the other day.( NOT) I grabbed my recently acquired 4200, was gonna start it to see if it was still good to go. Pulled the rope and it wouldn't return. :cry: Kept leaving about a foot and a half of rope dangling.

I had a new spring on hand. So thought was a good time to give that operation a try. HA, It got away from me trying to install it, and made one heck of a birds nest real quick! I worked several hours on that and finally met with success.
If I ever do that again, it will be to soon!!!:dizzy:

Oh, and Steve. I am thinking of becoming a Professional Junk Man. So when ya dump all them undesirable big old Poulan junks, you know where to go..
:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
:cheers:
Gregg,

Last edited:

To Whom it may concern;

I, the undersigned do hereby declare and attest that as of this date, May 1, 2011,
I have offically entered the recycling/salvage/reclaimation business (sometimes referred to colloqually as the "junk business) here at my residence.
Pick ups are available daily at your convenience within a 1000 mile radius!

Mike
rms61moparman

Back