Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question

Will the aluminum muffler from a 306A fit a 245? I am need of 2 mufflers for 245's, and would prefer the aluminum ones if they will fit. Either way if anybody has a couple useable mufflers for 245's, let me know.
Thanks.

What techniques do you guys use for tuning a saw in wood? I can get 'em set, pretty well, sitting...but would like to know how to get 'em set while cutting........Also, does anyone have a video, where you can hear what a chain saw sounds like ,when 4 stroking?

Here, check this 475 out.

Listen to the sound when its wide open just before it hits the wood and how it sounds under load as soon as it hits the wood.

Now listen to the engine 4 stroke a little everytime the saw is pulled out to re dog it in the wood and clean out again as soon as it comes back under load again.

<embed src="http://img180.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Ppoulanpro475" width="352" height="284" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>

Here is a 245 four stroking at wide open before the cut, and cleaning out in the cut.

You can really here the difference on this one.

<embed src="http://img406.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P245abow1" width="480" height="380" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>
<a href="http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Modifiedmark">[More videos from Modifiedmark]</a>

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/6507/poulanpro475.mp4

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7451/245abow1.mp4

Last edited:
Here, check this 475 out.

Listen to the sound when its wide open just before it hits the wood and how it sounds under load as soon as it hits the wood.

Now listen to the engine 4 stroke a little everytime the saw is pulled out to re dog it in the wood and clean out again as soon as it comes back under load again.

<embed src="http://img180.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Ppoulanpro475" width="352" height="284" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/><br/>

Mark, that 475 looks familiar to me, have I seen it before?

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Mark, that 475 looks familiar to me, have I seen it before?

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange:

I forget stuff, but I think thats the one I still have here.

It don't matter, there identical.

Edit, I take that back, by the Husky bar in that video, that one might be yours. LOL It was still 4 stroking at 14,500 in that video as well.

Last edited:
View attachment 189946
View attachment 189947

Came over for a visit. Dumped out the brown syrup from the fuel tank and is now soaking in lacquer thinner. Owner thinks he may need some T.L.C.. Yup!

And: The toy trucks are my grankids, gramma just washed 'em.

Sell them toys, buy them a video game before they hurt themselves or get some sun!
They would be worth some nice coin, but good for Grandpa for keeping them around.

got a question.

I was curious if some of the craftsman saws were the same as the poulan wild thing. either the 2375 or the 4018 i think thats right? ya all will know better ...they sure seem the same .. would the 42 cc older craftsman be the same saw???? they look like it... the reason i ask is i can never find a wild thing in my area but the craftsmans are all over the place....Thanks.

I was curious if some of the craftsman saws were the same as the poulan wild thing. either the 2375 or the 4018 i think thats right? ya all will know better ...they sure seem the same .. would the 42 cc older craftsman be the same saw???? they look like it... the reason i ask is i can never find a wild thing in my area but the craftsmans are all over the place....Thanks.

Yep. My latest give you saw is a 42 cc (even though it says something else) Craftsman Wild Thing clone with AV. That means a couple of the MMed plasticos are moving on, much as I hate to part with a saw. But not the Wild Thing. A true Poulan fan has a Wild Thing, just not an original one.
Those folks is weird.

S.I.L. has a red Craftsman 42cc x 18 that is most like a Wildthing. Also there were gray ones with antivibe that were 42cc. I made a gray one into my Frankensaw using a dark green Craftsman 40cc chassis.

Anyone have a dark green clutch cover I'll trade 'em a gray one.View attachment 189979

S.I.L. has a red Craftsman 42cc x 18 that is most like a Wildthing. Also there were gray ones with antivibe that were 42cc. I made a gray one into my Frankensaw using a dark green Craftsman 40cc chassis.

Anyone have a dark green clutch cover I'll trade 'em a gray one.View attachment 189979

I was pretty sure they were they same thought i would ask. I see them all the time on CL in my area thought i would buy a couple of them ....

I know there is a Craftsman version of the Wildthing, But, I really don't know which one it is. There are so many variations of that saw, and the Craftsman model numbers give me a headache!! I can't keep them straight.:D:D:D

The one thing I know is. A true Wildthing is green & purple and clearly stated on the saw. LOL and NO antivibe. That would be getting into high class options.;)

100_0400.jpg

100_0396.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Craftsman 3.4 ready to go back home.

All healed up with new fuel lines, filter and clean carb. Touched up the chain.
View attachment 190016

Hope I got the tank vent right as all I found was a short length of line tucked out of the air stream under the handle area.

The blue saw on the right is a full three pounds lighter than the Craftsman. Both R.T.R. and 16" b/c.

But, I wouldn't "kick one out of bed".

View attachment 190016

Hope I got the tank vent right as all I found was a short length of line tucked out of the air stream under the handle area.

The blue saw on the right is a full three pounds lighter than the Craftsman. Both R.T.R. and 16" b/c.

Sounds right, although there should be a duckbill valve on the end sticking out thru the vent hole. In other words the valve is in the tank and you should be able to see a piece of the plastic the valve attaches to in the tank vent hole. A lot of these fell out but you can still find em.

View attachment 190016

That XL101 is three pounds lighter than the 3.4/3400? Wow. AV stuff does add weight. The XL76-130 series was very compact and lightweight too. Both good saws.

Sounds right, although there should be a duckbill valve on the end sticking out thru the vent hole. In other words the valve is in the tank and you should be able to see a piece of the plastic the valve attaches to in the tank vent hole. A lot of these fell out but you can still find em.

I figured as much, but I didn't have a loose one on hand. It did pee on me a tad from a full tank.

Yup, three pounds difference makes the Craftsman as portly as my 10-10S. (Bathroom scale figures.) Maybe if it was plastic it would be lighter.

Back