Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a question ⁉️
What is your warm up ritual for the saw???
I start the saw and keep touching the fins until I can't keep it there then I start working the trigger for a minute or two and it's time to get cutting.
Should be interesting to get some different ideas.
I start all my 2cycle equipment and let them idle for 2 to 3 minutes before i start using them. If its cold, idle even longer.

Just a question ⁉️
I start the saw and keep touching the fins until I can't keep it there then I start working the trigger for a minute or two and it's time to get cutting.
I usually start it up and let it idle for a minute, then I feel if the exhaust gas is hot.

A quick giggle search on my coil showes it fits a range of saws from Homelite XL, SXL to Pioneer Farmsaw. Just found that interesting.
Interesting, as those 2 saws in particular have a reputation for bad electronic modules. The module on the Poulans are like HEI on a Chevy they always work. I’ve had 1 bad coil in the 15 years I’ve been messing with saws.

I probably don’t let mine warm up long enough. I’ll fire it with the choke on, and leave it on until it starts to die, then flip it to high idle, give it a rev, and then walk to the wood pile with it idling which is about 50’ from the saw shed. I’ll give it a few half revs, and then start cutting, slow for the first cut or two then I get after it.

Interesting, as those 2 saws in particular have a reputation for bad electronic modules. The module on the Poulans are like HEI on a Chevy they always work. I’ve had 1 bad coil in the 15 years I’ve been messing with saws.
HEI coils I agree on, but those ignition modules fail occasionally, to the point that I keep a spare in my glove box.

Don’t forget to apply the little tube of thermal paste to the module bottom before mounting!

The Homelite super 2 coil fit the 3400 like it was made for it and gave me bright blue spark but I couldn't get it to run. Got a little smoke from the muffler but it would never bark. The coil I used was the orange Wabash branded coil. Guess I'll pop on eBay. I have several parts to buy on payday for a number of projects so I'll just add a coil to the list.

Can someone tell me the model of this saw and point me in the right direction for a manual snd gasket kit

Attachments

• 20221113_144532.jpg
    20221113_144532.jpg
    958.2 KB · Views: 0
Just a question ⁉️
1 local guy does that, that cuts here sometimes I noticed on a cold start.

I just start and let run for a bit to warm up ( guessing min or so ).

Back when raced with piped saws. Had a hand on middle of pipe till warm to touch.

Another question ❓
Have a chance to go cut wood this weekend but the temperature is going to be around 10 above zero.
What do I do with the bar oil, i think I saw that 50 50 bar oil and transmission oil. What is the good way
Might have to burn the wood I cut just to stay warm.

Another question ❓
Have a chance to go cut wood this weekend but the temperature is going to be around 10 above zero.
What do I do with the bar oil, i think I saw that 50 50 bar oil and transmission oil. What is the good way
Might have to burn the wood I cut just to stay warm.

I thin mine with diesel for winter cutting and bit of a sook for a pump. I notice impulse driven pumps don't like the cold but the gear drive huskies don't seem to care. Best oiling saw I have is a 500VL echo. Wind that up and it will dump a tank of cold oil in no time

Back