Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a little OCD, I have a drawer in my shop full of manuals for just about everything I’ve bought, I found the manual last night for the first saw I bought. Inside of the 3700 manual is the sales receipt, I paid $355 for it. The Poulan came with a bow, I now have a 20” bar on it.
What part of Georgia you from?

My 3400 with the husky 272 cylinder kit was the second hot sleeper that I made. It was a 3400 that I had to fill in the cylinder holes and move them, also had to make a base block about .400 thick. Machined the carb adapter so the carb was in the same place as stock, that made sure i didn't have any problems with the intake side of things. Big problem was the piston to connecting rod, piston was 12mm and the rod is .375. I had to machine the pin hole to accept the little needle bearing and make a longer pin. On about the 5th try I got one to last. Couldn't get it hard enough so it didn't wear. Remember this is a stock looking 3400 with 71 cc . It is a runnin saw, like a hot 3700. Didn't do anything with the ports.View attachment 1042024
Todd so you have a video of it?

The limit of the 395 98cc is the 3400 clutch. I have to hold it up a bit so it won't stall the chain. Also in that video the chain is due to be sharpened and if I don't file the rakers it should help. I should just take it apart and put another crankshaft in it and not turn the end of the crank down but just shorten it for the 5200 clutch. I have extra cranks now.

Okay Todd, here goes. I remember the day my Father bought the blue and white Homelite XL-12 I now have used from Charlie Nightkirk in Bluefield WV. Black case, some tools, and a red wedge. This was in the mid 1970's during the Carter administration, tough times for us. I called it the "ear ringer" or "bell ringer" because we didn't use PPE and my ears rang like the devil after cutting wood outside of Wytheville, VA to heat the house. Great saw, but I still HATE that stack muffler! Max.

All, I felt nostalgic and remembered the phrase "Pics Or It Didn't Happen". Here's Dad's blue and white XL-12, and that nasty stack muffler! The drive cover is NOS and I have the red one that replaced the original after a pinch in 1981. I know it's not a Poulan, but wanted to share. Max.

Attachments

• Homeliye XL12 1.jpeg
    Homeliye XL12 1.jpeg
    983.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Homeliye XL12 2.jpeg
    Homeliye XL12 2.jpeg
    990.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Homeliye XL12 3.jpeg
    Homeliye XL12 3.jpeg
    825.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Homeliye XL12 4.jpeg
    Homeliye XL12 4.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
So, to redeem myself here's my Poulan 8500 with a full wrap. While on vacation I'm going to replace the reproduction recoil cover decal with one of the NOS decals I came across on eBay. If anyone has a drive cover decal they'd like to part with, please let me know. Max.

Attachments

• Poulan 8500 1.jpeg
    Poulan 8500 1.jpeg
    913.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Poulan 8500 2.jpeg
    Poulan 8500 2.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 0
Okay, so I recently went to start my Poulan 5200 and it didn't act or run right. I went through the carb this week with a nice Tillotson kit and boy, it now runs great! Kevin, that's the full wrap I purchased from you a few years ago, and many thanks for that! This saw idles beautifully and sounds like a well tuned Harley. Anyway, this is how I relax when I'm on vacation. Best to all, good health and safe travels! Max.

Attachments

• Poulan 5200 1.jpeg
    Poulan 5200 1.jpeg
    848.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Poulan 5200 2.jpeg
    Poulan 5200 2.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 0
  • Poulan 5200 3.jpeg
    Poulan 5200 3.jpeg
    876.9 KB · Views: 0
Okay, so I recently went to start my Poulan 5200 and it didn't act or run right. I went through the carb this week with a nice Tillotson kit and boy, it now runs great! Kevin, that's the full wrap I purchased from you a few years ago, and many thanks for that! This saw idles beautifully and sounds like a well tuned Harley. Anyway, this is how I relax when I'm on vacation. Best to all, good health and safe travels! Max.
Nice saw. I wouldn't mind a wrap on mine, just for self perceived coolness. Definitely one of the best sounding saws I own.
20220309_105509.jpg

Dang I forgot all about that 8500 used FW handle. That is the foam cover and not smooth rubber one right?

Looks good on there. :cheers:

Latest posts

Back