Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damage caused by a tard with starting fluid
I found this 335 on the local CL a few years ago. Since my 335 I got is one of my favorite saws, I had to check this one out. Saw is in great condition, looks like the original bar and chain yet. Guy said saw ran, and was asking $75 for it. When I get there he is furiously pulling on it and spraying starting fluid in it to get it to start..... It would pop off and run for a few seconds, revving wildly, then die.... He just kept at it, saying he had a new gas line put on by his friend a couple of years ago. I asked him to stop, that the carb maybe needed to be rebuilt, but he had to give it a few more tries before giving up. Since he couldn't get it stay running, he told me $50 for it. So, I took it home, put it on the shelf of "future projects". Got it down a few days ago, thinking new gas lines, pulse hose carb kit and a new AV mount ( the small one that is always broke on these). Go to dump out the old gas and the fuel filter falls out.... Interesting, as the fuel line looks ok.. Well, looks like a new line was installed, but never hooked up to the filter. Filter still had a chunk of old fuel line on it.. Pulse hose was broke off the nipple on the case and just crumbled apart in the airbox. Just out of curiosity, I pulled the muffler- piston scored up. Strangely, it still had 140 lbs compression. I pulled it apart and the cylinder wasn't too bad, got the transfer cleaned off ok. Couldn't find a OEM piston, so I ordered a LRB one, only one thick ring, compared to the OEM two thin rings. Hopefully it will work ok. Has anyone used one of these pistons? Have a merry Christmas!!DSC04373.JPGDSC04376.JPGIMG_20221221_124031564_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpgIMG_20221221_124051016.jpg

Is there something special you did to your 4000 because otherwise no comparison at all to a 505.
No special mods to the 505, I was just teasing, I know the 4000 can cut circles around it! LOL
Is there something special you did to your 4000 because otherwise no comparison at all to a 505.
No special mods to the 505, I was just teasing, I know the 4000 can cut circles around that 505! LOL1E60840F-AAC8-4711-A8DA-71CCD3B12CB9.png

They are terrific saws, you have an excellent collection!

Are you into modifying saws? If you are you should do the MS 660 piston in a Poulan 505. Open the ports and then add some finger ports. A very nice combination and not that hard to do. There are plenty of people on here who have done it.

This is one I did. I use it for milling.
IMG_1149.JPG

Damage caused by a tard with starting fluid
I found this 335 on the local CL a few years ago. Since my 335 I got is one of my favorite saws, I had to check this one out. Saw is in great condition, looks like the original bar and chain yet. Guy said saw ran, and was asking $75 for it. When I get there he is furiously pulling on it and spraying starting fluid in it to get it to start..... It would pop off and run for a few seconds, revving wildly, then die.... He just kept at it, saying he had a new gas line put on by his friend a couple of years ago. I asked him to stop, that the carb maybe needed to be rebuilt, but he had to give it a few more tries before giving up. Since he couldn't get it stay running, he told me $50 for it. So, I took it home, put it on the shelf of "future projects". Got it down a few days ago, thinking new gas lines, pulse hose carb kit and a new AV mount ( the small one that is always broke on these). Go to dump out the old gas and the fuel filter falls out.... Interesting, as the fuel line looks ok.. Well, looks like a new line was installed, but never hooked up to the filter. Filter still had a chunk of old fuel line on it.. Pulse hose was broke off the nipple on the case and just crumbled apart in the airbox. Just out of curiosity, I pulled the muffler- piston scored up. Strangely, it still had 140 lbs compression. I pulled it apart and the cylinder wasn't too bad, got the transfer cleaned off ok. Couldn't find a OEM piston, so I ordered a LRB one, only one thick ring, compared to the OEM two thin rings. Hopefully it will work ok. Has anyone used one of these pistons? Have a merry Christmas!!View attachment 1043192View attachment 1043194View attachment 1043195View attachment 1043196

I was at a flea market a few years ago trying to buy a pro mac 10-10S off a fellow. Same thing with the dam starting fluid! I told him " you do that one more (F)ing time and I'm not buying that saw, he stopped and handed over the saw. It turned out to be a good saw .

Are you into modifying saws? If you are you should do the MS 660 piston in a Poulan 505. Open the ports and then add some finger ports. A very nice combination and not that hard to do. There are plenty of people on here who have done it.

This is one I did. I use it for milling.
View attachment 1043297
Mine is completely stock and gets used very little, if I come across another one tho I’d be interested in that piston mod.

No special mods to the 505, I was just teasing, I know the 4000 can cut circles around it! LOL

No special mods to the 505, I was just teasing, I know the 4000 can cut circles around that 505! LOLView attachment 1043241
Say what? :rolleyes:

4000 couldnt out cut the smallest cc one in the series. I know as I owned them all. The 415 425 65cc set the 4000 in the corner.
Even ran a 36" full comp with 32" buried on it 415 for kicks one day. Came with 24" new.

Sorry the 4000 is a great saw but it is no 505 83cc

p415solddddddddd.jpgp415solddddddddddd.pngp4153666.jpg_thumb.pngp505fwz.jpg

Back