Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking that someone is jerking our chain about the power of the mighty poulan 4000. Great saw but you can't beat the rule of cc.
Rule #1, the more CC the better.
Rule #2, the longer the bar the better it looks sitting on the shelf.
Rule #3, ??????? You tell me.
You are correct I am just bein crazy, cubic inches, cubic centimeters or by whatever means it’s measured, Bigger = more power, and more is Always Better!😁

Tell me about the piston mod. What is the difference between the 2 pistons and what else is different.

Open pin bosses on stihl pistons to use in poulans etc. 064 for 475 or drop in a bb372 if you dont mind aftermarket for 475. 66 for 505. You get alittle more psi from pin to crown height to tighten squish up without doing anything. Using stihl pistons.

There was a 2 ring 505 piston like one I am showing with same rings. It is close to the 66 piston but already opened pin bosses oem. 66 piston just a hair taller from pin to crown. @3000 FPS might have all that technical jargon you guys can share.

5th pic down you can see 66 piston and little taller compared. If I recall right intake side skirt was hair shorter @3000 FPS

p54aa.jpgp54xxxx.jpgp54xxx.jpgp505p2ringg.jpgj54mmpp.jpgj54mmp.jpgj54mmppp.jpg

Well what did you get that is chainsaw related for xmas

I got 3 of the 20 inch 176 mount bar and chain combination from Amazon. Can't remember who told us about them but thanks for the update.
I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I got one of those Farmertec " Chinese clone saw kits". The 372xp kits to be exact. Of all "modern saws", the 372xp has been a desire of mine. Just to expensive, even for used one now days. I don't really have a need for one. Have plenty Poulans to get the job done.
I have looked over all the parts in the "kit" and looks surprisingly good so far. Its kinda like a big jigsaw puzzle with no pictures or directions. LOL
Will give me something to do this winter. Only change I will make is a muffler mod. Havn't decided yet on base gasket delete or not. Will see how it goes.
Gregg,

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I got one of those Farmertec " Chinese clone saw kits". The 372xp kits to be exact. Of all "modern saws", the 372xp has been a desire of mine. Just to expensive, even for used one now days. I don't really have a need for one. Have plenty Poulans to get the job done.
I have looked over all the parts in the "kit" and looks surprisingly good so far. Its kinda like a big jigsaw puzzle with no pictures or directions. LOL
Will give me something to do this winter. Only change I will make is a muffler mod. Havn't decided yet on base gasket delete or not. Will see how it goes.
Gregg,
Check it over good. I always felt some inferior, like seconds parts made their way into kits.

Even the blue and orange prebuilts were iffy. Carbs, and port timing lacking in their cylinders.
But they got it right with the white pro grade ones finally. If you can get past the younger generation carbon look crap. HD carbs, meteor piston kit with caber ring, meteor cylinder that cut close to oem one I had here too.

Orange oem OE and white their pro. Yes both need muffler mods IMHO.

If your missing pto side o-ring let me know. I ordered them in bulk last time.

g444g372pr.jpg
g372xpp.jpgg372288.jpgh372oettt.jpg

Gregg,
I wouldn’t be ashamed. That’s a cool saw and a cool winter project. Unless you’re a professional that makes their living with a chainsaw, I wouldn’t justify the price of a brand-new pro saw from Husqvarna or Stihl. They’re great saws, but damn that’s a lot of money! If you do typical homeowner stuff with your saws, or even lower amounts of firewood cutting, what you have will do the job just fine. I don’t have any pro saws and I don’t need them for what I use my saws for. Have fun with it!

Check it over good. I always felt some inferior, like seconds parts made their way into kits.

Even the blue and orange prebuilts were iffy. Carbs, and port timing lacking in their cylinders.
But they got it right with the white pro grade ones finally. If you can get past the younger generation carbon look crap. HD carbs, meteor piston kit with caber ring, meteor cylinder that cut close to oem one I had here too.

Orange oem OE and white their pro. Yes both need muffler mods IMHO.

If your missing pto side o-ring let me know. I ordered them in bulk last time.

View attachment 1044200
View attachment 1044201View attachment 1044202View attachment 1044203

Thanks Kevin, Funny you mention that o-ring. I havn't checked all the little parts, screws etc. I watched several videos of guys building these kits that mentioned that o-ring. so I already ordered one, just in case. Dang it..lol I been trying to decide on going with a 76cc big bore conversion, but more I think about it, I would just continue running up the cost, kinda defeating my original goal to have a 372 on the cheap.

Gregg,

I wouldn’t be ashamed. That’s a cool saw and a cool winter project. Unless you’re a professional that makes their living with a chainsaw, I wouldn’t justify the price of a brand-new pro saw from Husqvarna or Stihl. They’re great saws, but damn that’s a lot of money! If you do typical homeowner stuff with your saws, or even lower amounts of firewood cutting, what you have will do the job just fine. I don’t have any pro saws and I don’t need them for what I use my saws for. Have fun with it!
I hear ya. Earlier this summer was at a Husqvarna dealer near me. Happened to see a new 372xp on the wall. Turns out it was an XTourq version, was $1,100. Yikes!! Makes me think my old Poulans are still just fine. Even at todays high prices, could buy a hand full of good Poulas for that.

Gregg,

Thanks Kevin, Funny you mention that o-ring. I havn't checked all the little parts, screws etc. I watched several videos of guys building these kits that mentioned that o-ring. so I already ordered one, just in case. Dang it..lol I been trying to decide on going with a 76cc big bore conversion, but more I think about it, I would just continue running up the cost, kinda defeating my original goal to have a 372 on the cheap.

Gregg,

I have both versions in blue a 70cc and a 76cc big bore. I ported them both myself (AKA idiot with a dremel) . They are a lot of fun to experiment with and I didn't worry about ruining a quality product !
I think the BB kit from Farmertech was 18.00$ . I also put a pop up piston in the 70cc one which definitely helped with performance. Finding a decent pop up without breaking the bank on a cheap saw is a challenge though.
Definitely fun for a patient hobbyist who has the mindset of tinkering.

I have both versions in blue a 70cc and a 76cc big bore. I ported them both myself (AKA idiot with a dremel) . They are a lot of fun to experiment with and I didn't worry about ruining a quality product !
I think the BB kit from Farmertech was 18.00$ . I also put a pop up piston in the 70cc one which definitely helped with performance. Finding a decent pop up without breaking the bank on a cheap saw is a challenge though.
Definitely fun for a patient hobbyist who has the mindset of tinkering.
Prices have definitely gone up with the Farmertec parts. I think about $45 for 76cc p/c. Better quality Hyway 76cc p/c with pop-up like $120. Can't imagine what oem might be. I can see where this saw would be a good candidate for folks wanting to start porting a saw. I'm gonna leave well enough alone on this one. I tried grinding (widening) the ports on a 3400 Poulan one time. Didn.t ruin it...LOL Ran fine. Thats my porting experience.

Gregg,

Prices have definitely gone up with the Farmertec parts. I think about $45 for 76cc p/c. Better quality Hyway 76cc p/c with pop-up like $120. Can't imagine what oem might be. I can see where this saw would be a good candidate for folks wanting to start porting a saw. I'm gonna leave well enough alone on this one. I tried grinding (widening) the ports on a 3400 Poulan one time. Didn.t ruin it...LOL Ran fine. Thats my porting experience.

Gregg,
FT has 2 ways to buy now. They still have the BB 52mm for 18-22 bucks. Then add shipping cost too. Or you can buy from USA warehouse and shipping cost is added into price when you buy. So price looks higher. Think this one is 22 but needs shipped from overseas. Shipping is like 20. So find one in US and save the time from E-packet shipping. https://www.farmertec.com/Husqvarna...ing-Pin-Circlip-OEM-503-93-93-72-p226632.html

When I was ordering saws from overseas by boat was 70-80 and could take 1-2 months, but if by plane 5-10 days but 110-150 cost.

They do the same thing for the saws at USA warehouse. The prices have their boat shipping added in already and why they are higher then before too.

The white pro parts they come with.

g372stockproo.jpgg372stockpro.jpgg372carbbb.jpg

What crank seals work on the 3300-3500 poulan saws?

530019146 crosses to metric seal 15X35X5

Same seal for both sides.

It's a very common seal so it is available from quite a few sources.

Always a good idea to do a dimension check on the old seal before you order.

Latest posts

Back