Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3000 ran admirably today after I had it torn down this week. Full gambit of pressure/vacuum tests, but it is still tight. Thinking it is happier with a larger (new) fuel filter after sitting for a spell. This pile is the top half of the tree and the 3000 earned it. Bottom half got a bigger saw and went home with a friend. Doug fir is smelling fine in the sun.

IMG_1056.jpeg

3000 ran admirably today after I had it torn down this week. Full gambit of pressure/vacuum tests, but it is still tight. Thinking it is happier with a larger (new) fuel filter after sitting for a spell. This pile is the top half of the tree and the 3000 earned it. Bottom half got a bigger saw and went home with a friend. Doug fir is smelling fine in the sun.

View attachment 1116852
Hmmmm I don't have one in that color yet!

Hmmmm I don't have one in that color yet!

Canadian market only. They are really the only ones in that series I see up here. A few to be had some years ago, but not so much anymore. Stihl stops the jeering at the local firewood fundraisers when the 3000’s hit the deck along side the legions of 026/260 faithful.

Got a chance to tinker tonight for a few. Another craftoulan in dark gray this time. 2.1 I think. 36cc monster lol! Fuel lines were reversed on this one so I bet it was driving someone nuts!
I feel almost guilty for not doing the complete breakdown and deep clean that I normally do but folks don't seem to appreciate it. I'm pretty tired of putting $25 or so in a saw and quite a bit of time cleaning only to have folks turn their nose up at anything over a $50 price. If they aren't willing to give more than that for a running saw I guess they can clean it themselves!

I wonder what they go for on fee pay? Haven't gone that route but I'm considering it. I'm getting real put out with marketplace people wanting me to give them stuff so they can flip it.
Nothing. Worth more parted.

Why I only keep a couple $50 plastic saws around for the cheap sells local. Rest kept for parts to repair others saws that come in.

No money IMHO in plastic poulans and the strato ones even worse.

Parts are parts not worth fixing to flip.

Take the 260 over these strato pos anyday. All 42cc

p3516c.jpgp4218yelgreen.jpegp26042.jpg

Nothing. Worth more parted.

Why I only keep a couple $50 plastic saws around for the cheap sells local. Rest kept for parts to repair others saws that come in.

No money IMHO in plastic poulans and the strato ones even worse.

Parts are parts not worth fixing to flip.

Take the 260 over these strato pos anyday. All 42cc

View attachment 1117309View attachment 1117310View attachment 1117311
Totally with you on the stratos. I don't have any and for good reason! These are all non strato and run great. I never go looking for them, but I've had about 6 or 7 given to me.

Totally with you on the stratos. I don't have any and for good reason! These are all non strato and run great. I never go looking for them, but I've had about 6 or 7 given to me.
Have a bunch of of the pre strato days plastic ones on the shelf. Never even checked to see what they need. Cant sell the 1 runner in non strato as it is. So not going to put any time in them checking to see if only need a fuel line and tune.

Old 260 in a bin I stole parts from for my runner too.

But they are there if I need parts for someone.

p260crankrod.jpg

A lot of help from @RedneckChainsawRepair I got this 505 back in action. He sent me a nice set of cases to build off of. New bearings and seals. And a good used top end. Nos full wrap and spikes. Runs great, looks decent, pretty happy with the way it turned out. First time doing a case split and bearings, got to learn something new.
IMG_8464.jpegIMG_8462.jpeg

My PP220 fuel cap leaks sometimes .
I have thought about some way of flushing the duckbill with mixed fuel .
I have managed to carefully disassemble the cap short of pulling the brass out, cleaned everything well and reassembled but it leaked just as bad afterwards.
Tractor supply claims to have new caps for $3. Will go that route if I ever get close to one.
Tempted to seal it and just add a normal vent up beside the carb. Pretty easy on those I would imagine.

A lot of help from @RedneckChainsawRepair I got this 505 back in action. He sent me a nice set of cases to build off of. New bearings and seals. And a good used top end. Nos full wrap and spikes. Runs great, looks decent, pretty happy with the way it turned out. First time doing a case split and bearings, got to learn something new.
View attachment 1117829View attachment 1117830
Glad to be part of the 505 saw save. Looks good.

Hope it brings you many years of cutting. :cheers:

Why I always say parts are parts and set stuff back on shelves. Bet that thing was up there 15 years.
I can prob find old thread where I bought it and decided not to build another 505. Had so many of those at one time as runners. :cool:

I think the fuel cap leaking as to do with the duckbill valve not being fully seated. There is a star type retainer that is intended to hold the duckbill firmly against the cap to prevent fuel from coming out, if it gets shifted at all the valve doesn't seat and the cap will leak. Sometimes you find the duckbill and the retainer loose in the fuel tank, those really leak...

McMaster Carr has some retainers that are close enough to work, but are a pretty snug fit on the duckbill valve if I recall.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/retainers/retaining-rings-2~/push-on-internal-retaining-rings/
Mark

Back