no spill cans, I don't get it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have spent more time screwing around with my no spill cans than all the time I have spent with other cans in my whole previous life. And I have a lot of different cans.

Bought two recently and one really wanted to leak around the black ring at the neck. Thought I had it fixed, but it is still really fiddly to take off to refuel and then get back on so it doesn't leak.

I like the way they pour except for the leaking issues.

And this morning when I went to check them because I refueled a bunch of cans last night, when I tip one it drips gas freely from the green button. :clap:

What is so hard about making a can that doesn't leak? I really wanted to be a fan, but so far I am getting close to tossing one. How enviro sensitive is that?

I use one of 3 or 4 gas cans. When I am packing my saw some distance then I carry my fuel and oil in MSR fuel bottles. These are not practical for normal working out of the back of a truck but work great when distance is a concern.

I have swithced over to a 5 gallon Eagle safety can from Bailey's for bulk storage of saw mix. It is self closing, CARB approved and self venting. When I fill up at the gas station in the morning and the temperature reaches over 100o by mid day the can self vents. The no-spill cans will get as round as a basketball due to vapor pressure. My boss uses all no-spill cans and they get pretty scary looking.

I always have a piggyback gas can (Dolmar can) in the back up my truck. I try not to fill it more than half way and use it for my normal fueling.

I don't use gypo jugs very often but I do have a set hanging in the garage. When I work with a piece of machinery it is nice to be able to hang the jugs on it. Also if I have alot of sawing to do at one location away from the truck the I grab the gypo jugs.

Think about the Eagle can. It works for me.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=U2+51R&catID=9922

Last edited:
Grrr

The new ventless kind are really a pain. I don't mind the smaller ones that I use in filling the saw. But I really hate the bigger ones.
I have a 5 gal one that I fill my Ford tractor with, and it takes forever to empty out and it dribbles.

If I had known these ventless cans were coming, I would have taken better care of my older ones. :bang:

I have spilled more gas with the no spill cans that with any old can.

Got that right. And they don't save anything with vapor loss either; they just swell up like a beach ball on a hot day and then spray you in the face with the vapors when you finally do crack the cap. I don't think the root of the evil is the EPA either; it's the companies making the cans who lobbied the EPA/Gov't for new regulations so people would have to buy a new product from them (that conveniently costs substantially more than the old ones). Same as these stupid new "green key" Propane camping cylinders. Costs more just for a little thing that you insert when the can's done to completely empty the remaining fumes from it (or something like that). You could do the same thing with a Philips screwdriver on the valve.

All but a couple of my gas cans are likely older than me by the looks of it, and are still just fine. Sure I've given them new caps and spouts etc. as needed, but I have no reason to go spending good money on new entire jugs. Especially since I've been finding the old-style ones all over the place at garbage dumps etc. since the new ones came out - people are just tossing the old ones now for no good reason. I have heard that you can get fined for using the old ones, but I've never known anyone that has. Maybe that's just for businesses though, since I heard that from one of the guys on the tree-spacing crew I was working with in Jan-Feb. Nobody's harrassed us with my brother's lawn-care business though, and we've had the city bylaw enforcement officer stop us a couple times just last summer for parking wrong etc., and he had a good look over everything while he was at it. Passed plenty of cops too with the cans right out in open sight on the trailer.

I absolutely hate these no-spill cans. Don't work for me at all. I spill more gas then would ever fume out. I have some old blitz brand plastic 5 gallon cans that have the old crappy nozzle that you have to pull out each time to use and even they are better than these new carb compliant types. Anyone know where I can get new replacement nozzles for the old gas cans. I will be holding on to them dearly seeing as how the new ones all suck.

Why is it that I have no problems with my 3 NoSpill cans?? I've been using them for years, YEARS, and no problems.

It's just odd to me. It's either Stihl flip caps or NoSpill cans. I operate both on a regular basis, and I have yet to see either system fail.

Maybe I'm too stupid to be stupid..... :confused:

Why is it that I have no problems with my 3 NoSpill cans?? I've been using them for years, YEARS, and no problems.

It's just odd to me. It's either Stihl flip caps or NoSpill cans. I operate both on a regular basis, and I have yet to see either system fail.

Of my two no spills, one works fine. The other doesn't. Luck of the draw.

Of my flip caps on my 880, the only issue was once at first not paying attention and getting a gassy leg. Hasn't happened again.

I have had good luck with the No-Spill can I bought from Bailey's. I hate all the other ones I have tried. Just my 2 cents.

The Blitz gas can company is the best. This year when we had our big snow storm I sent my Son to refill our cans for the snow throwers. My hands were frozen and I ended up dropping one of the cans and snapping off the spout. I emailed Blitz to see if I could buy a replacement. Their Customer Service emailed me back and said its in the mail, no charge!

For some odd reason Pennsylvania teamed up with 12 or 15 other States and adopted California emissions laws? This also included gas cans and enhanced emissions testing of automobiles. We have since sent some of the legislators packing who didnt know what they were doing, but still cannot buy a standard vented gas can? I was happy that I could keep those vented cans and acquire replacement spouts. Hats off to Blitz

Bob

How did you go about getting a replacement spout for your vented Blitz gas cans? I really need to replace mine with something a little better but seeing as how everything is now a ventless type spout I am coming up short finding replacement spouts.

Amen.

Back