NOR'EASTER! Gas up those saws and generators!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty of people her without power. I luckily have it. My home is going to turn into a hotel for family and friends for the next couple of days. Maybe even longer. Danno boy said that if you do not have power expect not to have it for a very long time. I feel very bad for people right now. :msp_unsure:

i made out ok. i still got power, tv, and internet. the ex wife has nothing....awwwwww hahaha
isn't it a nice feeling when the EX wife has problems like that . I know I feel all warm and fuzzy when My EX wife has problems like a flooded basement . roof leaking .her mini van flooded to the roof with water . carma is a ##### .I just make sure my little girl is with me.

My pics are at: Just Ducky: October Nor'Easter

My town got of A-OK with minor outages. North and West of me is where the damage started in earnest.

The worst I saw wasn't as bad as the worst of the '08 Ice Storm that hit Central Massachusetts. However the damage is much, much more widespread.

Damage seemed about on par as Irene, just not sure if it was as widespread or not since I didn't drive in the same areas after each storm.

32 hours of the generator now boys. Gettin tired of hearing the hum. My Central Boiler 6048 is waiting for power to start churnin again. The Vermont Castings Seville is holdin her own!

Daughter home, bruised ribs, in pain but OK. Got out and got 15ga of fuel - will have to run generator all night to keep the other pump at the barn from freezing. Going down to 25 tonight.

Neighbor with bigger tractor helped me clear the tree from the road and springhouse, will try to rebuild something tomorrow.

Generator running OK, no phone or DSL. Lost 7 large red/shumard oaks, uncountable other stuff - have not even been in the woods yet.

Saws gonna get a workout - well find out how my plastic Poulans and an old Mac really work.

I am glad to hear your daughter is ok , and you have a generator to keep the heat on . good luck getting everything cleaned up.

Power out 3+ hours now, snow flying, wind blowing, trees popping, and branches everywhere... feels like TS Irene all over again.
You ain't kidding!!! Wind was as bad as Irene. Rain much worse. It's been so wet can't get in any cutting. Luckily have most of my firewood in, But this weather has been unreal!!!

Thanks guys. We're south of Allentown. I really wonder how long the power will be out. Every smaller secondary road is impassible, the crews will be simply overwhelmed. I was looking around the yard and the number of trees down is amazing - my saws will get their workout this time. I'm hoping I can get out to get supplies tomorrow, but I don't know who will be open.

They were finally able to do a CAT scan on my daughter - no bad surprises. The hospital was out of power too, and one generator was down, but they got power back up.

I don't think the generator problem is the fuel, or at least not entirely. It seems not to be able to handle a step load increase. I tweaked the fuel mixture and it seems to be handling the load better, but if I enrich it so it doesn't bog out then it has a mild misfire. Can't seem to find a happy medium, but then I'm tired and it's not nice working conditions either. I'm letting it run down this load of fuel for a bit.
Hope all works out! Relieved your daughter is not seriously hurt. You and your family will surely be in our prayers!!! Take care.

Daughter home, bruised ribs, in pain but OK. Got out and got 15ga of fuel - will have to run generator all night to keep the other pump at the barn from freezing. Going down to 25 tonight.

Neighbor with bigger tractor helped me clear the tree from the road and springhouse, will try to rebuild something tomorrow.

Generator running OK, no phone or DSL. Lost 7 large red/shumard oaks, uncountable other stuff - have not even been in the woods yet.

Saws gonna get a workout - well find out how my plastic Poulans and an old Mac really work.

Damn dude. sounds like you've been through the ringer the past couple of days. Glad to hear your girl is ok.

It was a nasty storm, over half our area is without power ...we lost large limbs from over 80 trees on the golf course and lost an 80ft oak with about a 33" dbh ...

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

This is bad. Massive power outages, people getting hurt, cold, dark, tree damage. Hearing saws running in the dark - maybe CL&P is near? Thank god for cell phones and my dad teaching me about wood heat! 74°in the house - going to be 20° tonight.

610c18eb-ea51-e02b.jpg

Look close you'll see the power lines. This one took out 2 poles and a transformer is sitting on the road.

32 hours of the generator now boys. Gettin tired of hearing the hum. My Central Boiler 6048 is waiting for power to start churnin again. The Vermont Castings Seville is holdin her own!

24 hours of generator use and no end in site. The tree crews haven't even cleared some of the main roads. The feeder line that supports my area is down. In addition to that, most of the
13.8kv lines in my and the adjacent neighborhoods are on the ground. Tremendous amount of
tree damage. Never seen anything like it. This situation rivals a significant ice storm in terms
of tree carnage.

I don't expect to have power for at least another several days. hope the gen holds up.

Glad to hear your daughter is Ok! Keepin you all in my prayers!! And all you other guys stay safe out there, We'll be waitin here for ya when you come in!

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers! My daughter is sore and has some post-concussion symptoms like nausea, but seems OK otherwise so far.

The phone (and DSL) is back, so maybe the power won't be too far behind. It did not get as cold as they expected last night.

The generator ran like a top all night. I gave it a good shot of carb cleaner through the idle mixture screw hole last evening, and that really did the trick. No more mild misfire and it starts easier too. Running it with a little TCW3 2cycle mix - 1oz to 5ga. There was frost on the outside of the intake this morning, I was amazed it was running so well.

Gotta have some coffee and get going on the spring. First thing is to clear the remains of the old roof away, and clear the debris out of the spring. Then I'm heading out to get some fittings and try to get the water running. I'm dreading having to prime it - the other spring is maybe 150yards from the basement and I think my longest hose is frozen under the snow. May have to buy another one.

Hey WoodHeatWarrior, so glad your daughter is OK, I will say a prayer for her and everyone else in a mess. I got away easy, about 8 inches in Lebanon CT of extremely wet, heavy snow. We were only out of power for just over a day and the generator worked great. I had just brought a few days worth of wood in that my wife and I split after work last week so the wood stove is cranking. I think having Irene hit and loose power for a week helped with this storm because most of the weak trees came down then. I lost more from this than Irene in my yard though. Plowing was miserable, go off the driveway just a tad and you're digging up unfrozen lawns. Hopefully people aren't too jerky about it, I didn't dig anything up too bad.

Latest posts

Back