NOR'EASTER! Gas up those saws and generators!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After a day and a half, this is where we made it to. I got off the hook easy at my place, probably less than most people on my street. Can't wait to get home from work and keep at it.

DSCN2035.jpg

DSCN2034.jpg

DSCN2031.jpg

DSCN2030.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

some more...

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2025.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2036.jpg

I will have to see if the neighbors got any action photos of cutting down the street. The 200T, 261 and the pole pruner certainly are getting a workout.

I got the water back on - tomorrow I build the cover. I did not get to take a before shot, but this is after we cleaned it up and I shifted the root ball:
attachment.php

Rocks broke the pipe:
attachment.php

cleaned out and working again:
attachment.php

Some of the Damage

This one blocked the lane to my neighbor's:
attachment.php

Several more - 5 of these fell like soldiers in the field:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Closer to the house:
attachment.php

Man, you guys up north/west got hammered. I'm in central jersey and only got rain for the most part. It started snowing later on but didn't really stick. I didn't know it was that bad until I spoke to one of my friends that lives in north jersey....said there was at least a foot on the ground and still coming down hard.

OMG, OMG, OMG can you believe, it's winter. Snow is a comin'. And, in North America .:msp_scared:

Emma we gotta get bread and milk, bread and milk fast before they run out of bread and milk. Storm coming !!:msp_scared:

Can you believe, snow. Snow you hear . Snow. A NORTHEASTER ( no such a "nor'easter" ). :msp_scared:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, what have we come to ? :popcorn:

Nice - thanks for pissing on all those who are suffering. Historic devastation here. How about you?

OMG, OMG, OMG can you believe, it's winter.
Dude - it's Halloween! My calendar has winter a bit further off. The 11" of snow hardly mattered, ho hum - it's the tree damage that's shocking. I guarantee you those trees saw quite a few actual winters, but trick or treat did them in.

Oh yeah, the generator: This morning I went to refill it and when I tried to start it the starter cord just pulled all the way out. I figured the knot pulled through, but no, the recoil spring failed. The assembly is swedged together and not made to be taken apart. What are the odds of finding a recoil assembly for a Tecumseh HM100 in stock anywhere? I found a used one a couple of miles down the road at a service center! On the way home I pulled into a nearby gas station that just got power back up and the pumps on - 4 out of the 6 lanes were people filling jerry cans to run generators. They tell us we'll be back on by Friday.

Last edited:
OMG, OMG, OMG can you believe, it's winter. Snow is a comin'. And, in North America .:msp_scared:

Emma we gotta get bread and milk, bread and milk fast before they run out of bread and milk. Storm coming !!:msp_scared:

Can you believe, snow. Snow you hear . Snow. A NORTHEASTER ( no such a "nor'easter" ). :msp_scared:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, what have we come to ? :popcorn:

It's winter? Winter starts December 22nd. In my 30 years I've never seen 8" of heavy wet snow when the trees still have all of their leaves. I've been without power going on 60 hours now-not sure why I'd need bread or milk, we're pretty well prepared here in terms of provisions, firewood, and generator fuel, but it doesn't mean that its fun trying to take care of an infant, keep your basement from flooding, and keep a years worth of venison from spoiling. I know Mainers are hearty folks but if you could see the kind of destruction we're dealing with down here you might be a little more understanding. Sorry for the apostrophe, but down this way that's the way people spell it.

C'mon now. There's "devastation" and there's just a simple storm. "Winter" is when winter says it will snow. October snow storms are NOT unusual.

You want to panic, fine. There are degrees of what devastation is. Not a snow storm here in the Northeast. Snow it is. No, there is no "nor'easter", just media expansion selling news and soap.:eek2:

Then think real devastation:

Hurricane Katrina

Recent tsunami and earthquake in Japan.

Midwestern tornados.

Southeast Asia floods.

War.

Reality is tens of thousands dead. Millions losing homes and property. Life changing for years. NOT a snow storm.

"Emma, bread and milk. Gas up the truck, the saws, the generators. It is going to........SNOW ! "

I stand on the comparison folks. Get back to work. Flame if you need to.:confused2:

C'mon now. There's "devastation" and there's just a simple storm. "Winter" is when winter says it will snow. October snow storms are NOT unusual.

You want to panic, fine. There are degrees of what devastation is. Not a snow storm here in the Northeast. Snow it is. No, there is no "nor'easter", just media expansion selling news and soap.:eek2:

Hurricane Katrina

Midwestern tornados.

Southeast Asia floods.

War.

Reality is tens of thousands dead. Millions losing homes and property. Life changing for years. NOT a snow storm.

"Emma, bread and milk. Gas up the truck, the saws, the generators. It is going to........SNOW ! "

I stand on the comparison folks. Get back to work. Flame if you need to.:confused2:
There was no panic on my part, even when giving my unconscious daughter first aid for the hour it took the ambulance to make the 6 miles to my house, or the hour it took them to get her to the hospital. Just lots of taking care of business, and days of work and clean up with more to come.

Nobody said this was the crisis of the century. Storms often happen in October, but not causing the damage that this one has here to trees 60 to 100 years old. So I certainly hope we never hear anything from you about storms or weather related problems unless it involves "tens of thousands dead" of "millions losing homes and property".

Also, I suggest you look up the definition of a northeaster - it's storm the moves north up the coast and brings moisture off the oceans, causing snow to fall when it passes over the colder air. Which is exactly what this storm did.

Oh, and KMA.

October snow storms are NOT unusual.

Maybe not in your own little world, but they are here.

Which is why it caused such widespread damage -- because combined with a late frost (our first was Thursday) there was wet snow sticking to green oak leaves.

The previous statewide record October snowfall was 9" in the northwestern most town in Connecticut which normally holds our cold and snow records.

Bradley Field -- the airport in the warm Connecticut river valley north of Hartford -- had an October record of 1.7" of snow on a single day before this weekend.

They recorded 12.3 inches on Saturday AND 8.0 inches on Sunday.

20" in December? Not a problem. 20" late in November? Not a problem. 20" early in April? Been there, done that...not a problem.

20" when most oak leaves hadn't turned colors yet? We've got a problem.

This WAS the type of storm to stock up on bread and gasoline in advance, because the stores were going to be closed for several days to a week following it.

Hurricane Katrina

Midwestern tornados.

Southeast Asia floods.

War.

logbutcher, this may not be as bad as all those things you listed above but it's much worse than a simple snowstorm. Saying that this was just a "simple snowstorm" is simply ignorant. People with young kids and the elderly are facing really bad situations and need help, not ridicule. Before you accuse everyone of overreacting you need to understand what people are facing. Remember that a lot of the places hit hardest are far south of Maine where there are a lot more leaves left on the trees than up there which is what caused the bulk of the damage. I have seen some of the hardest hit places and it looks like a war zone, way worse than any snowstorm or hurricane that has hit New England in the last 40 years, maybe even longer.

By the way, nor'easter is in the Merriam Webster dictionary. Yes, it is a variant of northeaster but is it also there with the following definition:
nor'·east·er: a storm with northeast winds . So it's not just a made up silly word and it's been part of the New England vernacular since I can remember, 40 years or so and probably longer.

I get tired of the media driven panic every time it snows more than a couple inches too so I get what you are saying but this is not one of those times. This really was a devastating storm in some places and some people got hurt, like WoodHeatWarrior's daughter for one, and I know of at least one fatality near where I live so it's not too cool to make light of it. Not to be the political correctness police here, just sayin, you're being a jackass right now.

logbutcher, this may not be as bad as all those things you listed above but it's much worse than a simple snowstorm. Saying that this was just a "simple snowstorm" is simply ignorant. People with young kids and the elderly are facing really bad situations and need help, not ridicule. Before you accuse everyone of overreacting you need to understand what people are facing. Remember that a lot of the places hit hardest are far south of Maine where there are a lot more leaves left on the trees than up there which is what caused the bulk of the damage. I have seen some of the hardest hit places and it looks like a war zone, way worse than any snowstorm or hurricane that has hit New England in the last 40 years, maybe even longer.

By the way, nor'easter is in the Merriam Webster dictionary. Yes, it is a variant of northeaster but is it also there with the following definition:
nor'·east·er: a storm with northeast winds . So it's not just a made up silly word and it's been part of the New England vernacular since I can remember, 40 years or so and probably longer.

I get tired of the media driven panic every time it snows more than a couple inches too so I get what you are saying but this is not one of those times. This really was a devastating storm in some places and some people got hurt, like WoodHeatWarrior's daughter for one, and I know of at least one fatality near where I live so it's not too cool to make light of it. Not to be the political correctness police here, just sayin, you're being a jackass right now.

Dear Carl:

Jackass to some, reality check for others with some perspective on crises. Individual tragedy is something else; your and others projection as to "making light" of anything is silly. Not what is said or felt or meant. You're setting up straw dogs here Carl.

Our society has less and less contact with the real world. Many believe that their world of driving, roof over heads, central heating, no exertion, and 3-a-day is the norm for everyone. That is the comparison. Tiny events impacting their comfort, not life, becomes significant. That is the point.
It is a media reality. No reality check compared to what I listed: war, starvation, epidemics, floods. Look, read history --recent or early.
So "jackass" perhaps. That's my take from what has been experienced and known. Look carefully at what our grandparents had and how they lived and with what before WWII. Big difference to what most feel entighteled (sp.) to today.

Anyone aware that thousands are still out of home and property in New Orleans (Katrina)? Japan ? Somalia ? How about some reality for the boots still on-the-ground in Afghanistan ?

It is still " Emma, get bread and milk we're having some snow." "Storm Center". "Gas up". I stand, Jackass or not.

P.S. Kilo Mary Apple huh ?

Last edited:
Our society has less and less contact with the real world. Many believe that their world of driving, roof over heads, central heating, no exertion, and 3-a-day is the norm for everyone. That is the comparison. Tiny events impacting their comfort, not life, becomes significant. That is the point.
It is a media reality. No reality check compared to what I listed: war, starvation, epidemics, floods. Look, read history --recent or early.
So "jackass" perhaps. That's my take from what has been experienced and known. Look carefully at what our grandparents had and how they lived and with what before WWII. Big difference to what most feel entighteled (sp.) to today.

Anyone aware that thousands are still out of home and property in New Orleans (Katrina)? Japan ? Somalia ? How about some reality for the boots still on-the-ground in Afghanistan ?
Oh, I see, you're just so much more worldly than everyone else. You're the only one who knows what's going on in the world I guess, the only one who studies history, the only one who's tough enough for the "real world".

Here's a hint Mr. Worldly: I have no central heat or any air conditioning, I don't watch TV and spend that time reading about what is happening all over the world, as well as studying history. I'm more than passing familiar with the train wreck that's heading our way, and what that means for modern conveniences - the driving, the cars and trucks, the electricity we're without right now, the chainsaws, generators, the fuel to run them, Internet forums, the Internet itself, a functioning economy - all of that is far more temporary than most believe.

But in the meantime I still have a job and no way to get there but for cars, the kids have to get to central schools too far to walk to, we don't produce all our own food yet, I have not built the outhouse yet, I haven't dug the second well deeper or bought the $800 frost proof well pump, or built the solar hot water heater. And society still expects daily bathing. So I'm stuck with at least one foot in the modern world and have to keep these systems running. Maybe you're farther ahead than I am, or more prepared to work your balls off in a life without the assistance of good old petroleum in a world with a changing and unpredictable climate, but I doubt it. Heck, you don't even know the difference between autumn and winter in the existing one, but your so very, very sure that this storm was nothing from your vantage point in Maine.

The reality here is that you just want to show us all how tough you are, but if that were really true you wouldn't feel the need to tell us all about it. People who walk the walk don't have to ridicule others to pump themselves up.

Last edited:
Dear Carl:

Jackass to some, reality check for others with some perspective on crises. Individual tragedy is something else; your and others projection as to "making light" of anything is silly. Not what is said or felt or meant. You're setting up straw dogs here Carl.

It is still " Emma, get bread and milk we're having some snow." "Storm Center". "Gas up". I stand, Jackass or not.

P.S. Kilo Mary Apple huh ?

You forgot all the starving people in China too. My mom used that one a lot. May as well add it on to your drama list. Honestly, you think mentioning the troops in Afghanistan has any relevance here? Save that one for when you're lecturing from a different stump where it actually matters. I suspect any self-respecting soldier in Afghanistan would resent the way you're using them here. They are obviously a lot more selfless than you could understand.

I understand your original point, but I just don't think it's cool to lecture or downplay someone's trouble when a lot of people are having a hard time from this storm. It may not be a big deal to you, or be as significant as some other storms/disasters, but for many it's a real big problem. You're acting like an inconsiderate drama-queen bully who is incapable of showing empathy.

By the way, I spent the days following Hurricane Irene cutting trees alongside National Guard and Army Reserve soldiers to clear roads here in Virginia. It was an intense experience. Those guys seemed to understand how serious the situation was, and many of them spent time in Iraq, so I think they're qualified to make the call. So far I haven't seen any indication you're qualified to say much at all.

This storm was bizarre. Didn't' lose power but 2 miles up the road was complete failure. It didn't look bad at all. I was wondering what the big deal was. Went to my brother in laws today after work, about a half hour away, west, and it was a complete disaster. It was pretty bad. There were trees still hanging, on wires, on secondary roads.

Clearly there are differences of opinions on this issue. I never equated this storm to the bigger disasters that are being brought up but I don't think WoodHeatWarrior was really too concerned about that when he was trying to get his injured daughter to a hospital during a big time snowstorm with trees and power lines down everywhere. Nobody ever said this was a major disaster on the scale of earthquakes, Katrina or any war but it is more than a mere inconvenience for many people. Luckily for me it was just a minor inconvenience but there are people like my neighbors who are elderly with a disabled son who need to be checked up on and helped after Irene and storms like this and for whom not having power for a few days could mean a major medical issue.

I try to be prepared for the unexpected by having three different heat sources in my house, a generator with gas (which means gassing up before storms), reliable tools and plenty of ammo, etc. Can most of us live a week or two without power and running water, of course but like I said before, that's not true for everyone. I agree, the world is a mess and we are likely headed for a rude awakening soon but as decent human beings we need to help those who are legitimately in need as best we can and have compassion on those who are having difficulties, even if it's not a major crisis like Katrina, etc. The old golden rule really is a good thing.

logbutcher, I'm sure you are not really a bad guy and certainly you are entitled to your opinion and have every right to voice it so perhaps it was not right for me to make the jackass comment but I still think you are off base on this one imo and I'll leave it at that.

(which means gassing up before storms)

I grew up / mentored / whatever by some folks in the fire company whose planning scale was always to be self-sufficient for operations for two weeks, fuel being the most important part. We may not quite be there over the years as the underground storage tanks were replaced with smaller above ground ones, but we're still pretty close to that goal.

But I read today of some of the large suburban towns around Hartford were having problems because all the gas stations were out of power...and there was no place to fill up their police cruisers.

Stupid #### like that drives me up the freaking wall because they've probably taken hundreds of thousands of dollars in homeland security grants over the years for equipment that will dry rot in storage, but somewhere along the line they decided the extra $1500 in capitalized costs and insurance was too expensive to replace a the gasoline tank at the town garage and relying on commercial gas stations to fuel public safety vehicles would be just a fine idea.

Latest posts

Back