Not to bad mouth sherrill but.......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TREETX

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I would always advise shopping around. Price rules when determining where to by the same product. When the prices are the same, I would always choose sherrill. You get the feeling of buying some kind of customer support plus I know that I will get my order quick. Other places can take a while to get the order to you. Shipping may even be the same carrier. The difference, I think, is that your order and paper work don't sit around the sherrill office a week before they decide to ship it. I think that is a big problem with other companies. They just don't have the streamlined infrastructure.

Other than that, sherrill should be aware that they are not the only supplier and on many things, price rules - period.

I guess you didn't read Sean's response to your other thread, Earth.

"To be fair, the Versatile is made two ways, with regular nylon or black brushed leather. The Wesspur site shows the nylon at $198, and the leather at $228. I am not at the store right now, but I'm pretty sure our Versatile is the one with leather, and yes, we'll price match on that. I will post tomorrow when I know for sure about the material. "
-Sean

Sherrill's list price is for the leather, Wespur's list price is for the nylon. If you are going to throw around accusations, at least compare apples to apples. Sherrill's prices are the same as Wespur's when you compare prices on identical saddles.
:mad:

i think also in all fairness, having an established relationship here you could privately ask Sean about such private buisness matters. At least maintain such a level of respect until you see if that will suffice on its own; perhaps if such financial dealings still seemed contrary weigh out for yourself if it had to really be taken further.

We are probably gonna be more technical and serious than most climbers; that doesn't give some phone girls a chance........... Suggestions on the dang D's and other thangs might be a lil'diffrent.

At least if i find myself in such a gracious host's home or shelter; that is how i would hope to be.

i like Wespur, Ms. Carla Benson is very nice and sincere! Sherrill is honestly my all around hero, in many weighs; and that was even before this board!

Live and let Live!

Don`t **** around with anyone but Sean if you have a problem.
He can make things happen, has more than just an interest in the business and has always been fair with me.
Tobe Sherrill should be working for him. :D

I tried that and always seem to keep coming back to Sherrill.
I have yet to deal with the perfect place and I know they are trying to do their best at Sherrill and are always more than willing to be fair.
If I`ve found an item cheaper at a regular price I always try and send them the add where I`ve seen it.
Some of the problems I have encountered are with Sherrill suppliers and it`s not really fair to dump on Sherrill for the mistakes of others.
I think they can do better at times, I think they are the leaders in this business and will be for some time.
Just be glad you don`t have to pay an additional 50-60 bucks on a hundred spent. :angry:

One thing to consider, Wesspurr has Samson in its front yard, so gets it cheaper, less shipping costs.

I buy from several different suppliers, and like them all. One thing about Sherril, they are kind of the leaders and innovators, other dealers have come in a bit on their coattails with new products. And their catalogs are about as good as buying a climbing/rigging book.(I have all of them from 1994 on)

I have always found their customer service exemplary, especially Johnny's. Once he sent me a free Big Shot replacement rubber, when the defective one had been purchased elsewhere!!!And didnt even ask for the bad one in return...Wow!!

Personally, i have never asked anyone to price match... guess because i hate it if a competitor does that to me, or a customer asks for it.

I don't buy hundreds of dollars worth of equipment at least not yet. but if I did it would be through sherrills. I wouldn't even shop around! It's call customer service and supporting those who take care of you. good customer service is worth more at times than the product itself!! You don't go into a Ford dealership and talk about a deal from Chevy. Your either a Ford or Chevy man!!! (go #8) If you don't like Sherrills go and play on Wespurs chat site!!!!!Because I'm sure the knowledge you have gained talking to the pro's at this site doesn't equate to much worth to you!

Sherrill rocks as a company because the have successfully utilized BRANDING. i.e.- they have made themselves standout. Not just jeans but Levi's, not a soft drink, a Coca-Cola. Branding is great for making money. It allows you to sell an extra something else with your "commodity product". Be it a feeling of prestige or security. OR well cared for trees.

I am working on branding my company and my reputation here in Austin. Everyone should brand their company because the simple truth is that if you don't brand your company, someone else will brand it for you.

Congrats Sherrill

Something else to consider. Isn't it a great feeling when a customer will add a few extra bucks to your bill because they thought that you did an outstanding job. And, you probably weren't even the lowest bidder for the job.

Your customers have used your business for years, and they know that they can trust you and have the utmost confidence that you will go above and beyond what's required to provide them with the very best in service and profesionalism. Sure, your customers know that they could get a "cheaper" price from any tree service in town, but they know that you are one of the best and they are more than willing to pay for this.

There are always going to be the "price shopers", those trying to get the cheapest price and playing the under bid game with you. How does this make you feel, especially from someone that you thought was a loyal customer? In all honesty, you really don't even want to deal with these people because they don't respect you or your service, the only thing that they care about is "PRICE".

Ask yourself this. If "price is king" to ALL of my customers, can I really afford to give them my very best? Will they pass my name along just because I was able to undercut and under bid every tree service in town? If I'm only known as the "price king", what does this say about my business ethics and my business?

You know for a fact that customers will spend the extra money to do business with you, because they know that you care more about them and their trees, than just trying to get in their "pocketbooks". If your customers are willing to spend the extra money to business with you, isn't is fair that you can do the same?

So, the next time you're flipping through the arborist supply catalogs, ask yourself who's really trying to make your business a success, and who is just trying to sell you equipment?

From a loyal customer,
Mike D.

Two identical items from the same supplier should sell for the same or very close to the same regular price, period.
If they don`t then someone is getting ripped off.
The supplier is ripping off the retailer or the retailer is ripping off the customer.

Or maybe one has advantage, or running a loss/sales leader etc.; buying in bulk, low shipping etc.

i agree on the angle of people wanting to develop clienteile that values and uses them not wanting to be price scrutinized at every turn; yet not reflecting that as a customer. But, i guess we all bargainshop some.

But what is your time, energy worth if ya do it 6x, calling 2 diffrent companies; and catch a $40 diffrence one time? Sometimes it makes cents, sometimes it doesn't.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion; guess i'm just a lil'sensitive after all the other slamming around hear, also am legitimately loyal to Sherrill. i think it is getting rarer to see so much done by a buisness for all in a special interest. For the advances they have led and spread around benefit so many; that they touch those that never buy from them; as they touch all as a whole!

My alternative is buying locally to encourage retailers here to keep rope etc. in stock; so no one around me has to risk life or property using compromised gear. It hasn't always been like that. i talked each of the 3 guys here into doing it at one time; now of course all 3 are doing what for years no one would because the market wasn't big enough!!!! But, i try to get them to buy Sherrill stuff, tell them about the monthly sales etc.; and feel a lil'compelled to buy something every once in a while. Of course i kinda don't go back where the guy charged me $50 more than the Sherrill book for Blue streak (sent a guy to pick it up); after i kinda steered him into a Sherrill dealership (pre Vemeer) , made drawings for his wall , helped setup and id toys ! So i guess i can plead a lil'guilty sometimes myself!

I think if anyone else posts a criticism of Sherrill, they should be dragged outside, and have their throw balls repeatedly slapped with a large hawthorn branch, then rolled in a bed of poison ivy nude, then have some <B><I> really </I></B> bad things done to him.

Back