npw bb7900 my poor judgement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy,
These BBN 7900's are first generation kits. I just ran the numbers a couple few weeks ago for thread but, I can't find it now. I believe this is the second or third issue out of 350 sold.
Regards
Gregg

I'm amazed by the amount of people who want to buy a $200.00 piston and cylinder kit for $100.00!!!
It is ridiculous to go to Harbor Freight and expect to buy Snap-On quality.
Hey guys..................There is no Easter Bunny!
And there is no "free ride".
If you want inexpensive there will be corners cut somewhere.
If you want perfect quality and finish, buy the OEM kit and pay the fee!!!

I am grateful to Gregg and Bailey's for making the BB kit option available to us and I think some of you should be ashamed for the way you have treated them. They didn't have to go to the trouble and expense of producing these kits, they did it because WE asked them to.

I am running one of their kits on a 7900 and I am VERY pleased with it.
I expected to have to do some "finish work" to it before I installed it but it was very nice.
The installation was a trouble free "plug and play", which was good because that's what I bought it for..........to play.

Watching some of the posts in this thread, I understand a lot more about "pack mentality"!!
You won't be jumping on the bandwagon to extoll the virtues of the kit I got but you will sure line up to kick Gregg and Bailey's for sending out a bad one.
Shame on you for your unrealistic expectations.

Mike

I expected to have to do some "finish work" to it before I installed it but it was very nice.

That right there says alot. Even with this junk aftermarket stuff, nobody will expect to HAVE to do some finish work before installing these.:dizzy: Why even buy a product like that? The penny pinchers aren't going to go: "I bought this kit cheap to save money and I know it needs some work". They will be on the phone faster than an ant on a snow cone barking about why their saw locked up. Do it right the first time and get OEM.:clap:

I'm proud of Bailey's for backing this mess of aluminum and if it is only the 3rd cylinder sent back then the numbers aren't that bad. It may have sent them more bussiness anyway, in the form of selling more OEM kits.

I'm amazed by the amount of people who want to buy a $200.00 piston and cylinder kit for $100.00!!!

I am grateful to Gregg and Bailey's for making the BB kit option available to us and I think some of you should be ashamed for the way you have treated them. They didn't have to go to the trouble and expense of producing these kits, they did it because WE asked them to.

I am running one of their kits on a 7900 and I am VERY pleased with it.
The installation was a trouble free "plug and play", which was good because that's what I bought it for..........to play.

Watching some of the posts in this thread, I understand a lot more about "pack mentality"!!
You won't be jumping on the bandwagon to extoll the virtues of the kit I got but you will sure line up to kick Gregg and Bailey's for sending out a bad one.
Shame on you for your unrealistic expectations.

Mike

The often cited (since 1846) colloquialism "you pays your money and takes your choice" applies as always; the BB kits have never been represented for anything more than what they are.

If Bailey's was not offering them, someone else would.

The mindset of "we the consumer" is the reason Walmart has been such a success.

The often cited (since 1846) colloquialism "you pays your money and takes your choice" applies as always; the BB kits have never been represented for anything more than what they are.

If Bailey's was not offering them, someone else would.

The mindset of "we the consumer" is the reason Walmart has been such a success.

Good post. I agree with you and moparman on this one.

Baileys is selling a product and they are backing it up. That is what makes a good product and a good company.

If any of you think OEM like Dolmar or Stihl never send out a bad part, well, that shows you don't know what you're talking about. I've gotten bad parts sent to me by the some of the biggest and most respected names in the world; they are the big names because they made it right and that is why I still buy from them.

Mr. HE:cool:

:agree2: If you want quality buy the oem, If you want to take a chance on ruining your saw and alot of time and aggravation then go for the big block kit.
I like baileys and buy alot of stuff there and am glad they stand behind the kit. But I still agree with 2000ssm that I would just find a new company to build them or quit with them all together, it does not look good on a great company to keep selling a questionable product. Here is an example , a local bull ranch here sells bulls , cheaper than a good angus bull cost , 2000 instead of 5-10 so a few guys get bulls there, But one I know who had bought one of these supposedly super bulls at a good price had him in with 25 cows, well this fall when he checked them they were all open. He lost not only the calf price times 25 but all the feed he put into the cows and will for another yr if he keeps them. Well the bull man said bring him back Ill give you another bull. That's fine and dandy but it doesnt look good and I bet he wont sell as many bulls this yr.

Last edited:
Do you really think that you could never get a sterile(or lazy) bull in any breed and from any breeder?
And we're not talking about a years calf crop, we are talking about a $100.00 P/C kit.
I just think it is ludicrous to buy a Kia and then complain that it isn't the same quality as a Bently or Rolls.

Mike

:agree2: If you want quality buy the oem, If you want to take a chance on ruining your saw and alot of time and aggravation then go for the big block kit.
I like baileys and buy alot of stuff there and am glad they stand behind the kit. But I still agree with 2000ssm that I would just find a new company to build them or quit with them all together, it does not look good on a great company to keep selling a questionable product. Here is an example , a local bull ranch here sells bulls , cheaper than a good angus bull cost , 2000 instead of 5-10 so a few guys get bulls there, But one I know who had bought one of these supposedly super bulls at a good price had him in with 25 cows, well this fall when he checked them they were all open. He lost not only the calf price times 25 but all the feed he put into the cows and will for another yr if he keeps them. Well the bull man said bring him back Ill give you another bull. That's fine and dandy but it doesnt look good and I bet he wont sell as many bulls this yr.
Grande said out of over 300 sold 3 came back, the op was one of them. Many others are boasting about the power and bang for your buck. Whats the issue?

well in all actuality moparman the only reason i bought the kit was threads described it as having the bugs worked out its virtures were extolled as being an excellent bang for buck. I have to replace pistons and cylinders on my blowers every year.i spend thousands of dollars every year on equipment. the extra $90 for the oem wont kill me, it was people like u that got me to buy it.....ill gladly swap my kit for yours if u pay shipping and a small $50.00 fee:blob2:

Last edited:
Well I'm sure some will say I'm just basking up my buddy's, I say yup I am, but I'm also calling it as I see it.

Look I'll be the first to say that I've seen some pretty nasty and in some cases inoperable BB kits. With that said the newest kits look much better, and in some cases better than OEM. One must realize the learning curve involved with the manufacturing process, it's going to take some time iron out some of the small, and at times large issues. I do question why a company would push a product out the door before it ready, but sadly this is becoming the norm with most industries. Too much computer testing and not enough time consuming real world testing. IMHO

Fact is if you buy aftermarket it's always going to be a bit of a gamble, you could win, but you could also loose. If you want the best OEM is usually the way to go. I guess some don't remember this saying. You get what you pay for.:cheers:

Last edited:
well in all actuality moparman the only reason i bought the kit was threads described it as having the bugs worked out its virtures were extolled as being an excellent bang for buck. I have to replace pistons and cylinders on my blowers every year.i spend thousands of dollars every year on equipment. the extra $90 for the oem wont kill me, it was people like u that got me to buy it.....ill gladly swap my kit for yours if u pay shipping and a small $50.00 fee:blob2:

$90 more for OEM??? Where is that? Any saw I've worked on are way more then that!! My 372 has a bb kit, and running great.

Look at the Northern Tool grinder thread? How many people here have bought them, allot!!!! Never heard a complaint about them, they are $100, fraction of the Oregon unit, but everyone knows they need a little tweaking to work good.

I wont hesitate to buy a BB kit ever. YOU CANT GO WRONG!! Anybody that has got a bad one, has gotten another one sent to them at no charge, so you know your going to get a decent one, just inspect it before hand.

Does everybody forget the Stihl Chicom Garbage thread!!! LOL, Stihl's joke at making a cylinder, BB kits are better then those cylinders, and that's from Stihl!!

In my limited experience repairing broken or worn things I have learned that if one does not inspect the part prior to installation, regardless of where purchased, OEM or aftermarket, you are asking for a failure. More than once I have opened a box on the counter while the attendant rolled their eyes at me only to discover the part in the brand new box was straight out of the junkyard. This goes for both original 'Ford' dealers and aftermarket parts. This is why I open 'em up and put 'em through their paces prior to purchase where practical of course. Any dealer shouldn't have to put up with a customer halting their whole store while the customer inspects the product. But after I have driven 2 hours round trip for a product I don't want to do drive it again either. Once I walk out the door I don't come back, unless the product suffers catastrophic failure. [I did have to replace and alternator 4 times though till I got one that was rebuilt in the US]. Believe me Granddog doesn't like this anymore than we do takes to much time and money to deal with these types of mistakes!

Do you really think that you could never get a sterile(or lazy) bull in any breed and from any breeder?
And we're not talking about a years calf crop, we are talking about a $100.00 P/C kit.
I just think it is ludicrous to buy a Kia and then complain that it isn't the same quality as a Bently or Rolls.

Mike

We are talking about a yrs calf crop, you preg in fall calve in jan-feb, you cant ai cows when you find them open, unless you want to calve at two diff times of the yr ! You have to wait till spring so yes you lost that yrs calves.
And yes a good bull rep will have a bull go bad from time to time, but very rarely and not right out of the gate. This guy Im using for an example has had more than one at least 3 I know of last year, and yes its a diff situation but the point is it dosent help with confidence from buyers! Same with a big block kit!!!!!!!!!

Grande said out of over 300 sold 3 came back, the op was one of them. Many others are boasting about the power and bang for your buck. Whats the issue?

The issue is have you heard how many complaints on here alone , and this has been going on for a while. My point is dont by cheap junk and dont sell it if you want to have trusting customers!

Well I'm sure some will say I'm just basking up my buddy's, I say yup I am, but I'm also calling it as I see it.

it's going to take some time iron out some of the small, and at times large issues. I do question why a company would push a product out the door before it ready, but sadly this is becoming the norm with most industries. Too much computer testing and not enough time consuming real world testing. IMHO

:clap: I agree with andy 100% and am not trying to bash baileys , just dont understand or agree with the marketing of theses big block kits. If they are not right or questionable wait till you get them right and do some real world testing like put a few out there in the field and see how the perform before you put your approval on them. If they dont stand up to baileys Quality go back to the drawing board!

:clap: I understand exactly how you feel! You thought you were getting a product that was tested and inspected untill it was right! You didnt. Whats so hard for everyone to understand about that?

The only way they will ever correct it will be to pay someone to live in China and be in the factory everyday. It's the only way you can control this kind of stuff, or the alternative is to hire a trading company to represent you and have their employee's to go to the factory and conduct QC. Have a reputable company like CTL (Consumer Test Labs) China pull random samples.
It's just not that hard. When in China I learned a valuable lesson. A wise factory owner told me, We the Chinese have been in business over 2000 years, your country a little over two hundred, your people never ask the right questions. You Americans always ask for the lowest price and highest quality. Then you Americans ask, Can you do it? We always will say "Yes". You Americans never ask the correct question, "Will you do it"?

There's a lot of truth in his wisdom. Oh little grasshopper.

Nice! its called qaulity control, we forgot about that here! :)

Does everybody forget the Stihl Chicom Garbage thread!!! LOL, Stihl's joke at making a cylinder, BB kits are better then those cylinders, and that's from Stihl!!

That 260 cylinder was not even close to this turd pictured. Several people, one was me, wanted to buy that cylinder also just to prove it would run and run great. I got a Mahle cylinder now that has chipped coating in places, off a husky 350. It has alot of hours on it but no cracks between the ports.:dizzy: Andy just said it best, you get what ya pay for.

That 260 cylinder was not even close to this turd pictured. Several people, one was me, wanted to buy that cylinder also just to prove it would run and run great. I got a Mahle cylinder now that has chipped coating in places, off a husky 350. It has alot of hours on it but no cracks between the ports.:dizzy: Andy just said it best, you get what ya pay for.

I never said it wouldn't run. And now nobody knows if this cylinder in question would run? I'm sure it would run. Doesn't look pretty but it would run.

Latest posts

Back