Oak log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverBox

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This oak blew over a few years back, I'm getting around to milling it. 25" on the big end, 23" on the small, 9 feet long. I only had a few hours to work on it, so I only took a gallon of mix with me. This is how far I got :).

Pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

continued...

Well done!

Is that a round dowel you have jammed in under the guide "board" for your first cut? It doesn't vibrate loose?

I'd cut six inches or so off each end to get you past those cracks that have already started. Otherwise they will likely grow even if you apply end sealer.

The log may be past its prime but I am sure there will be some interesting sections, even some spalting, that you will be able to use.

Dan

Well done!

Is that a round dowel you have jammed in under the guide "board" for your first cut? It doesn't vibrate loose?

Naw, its a little section of oak branch that was the right size, theres some other random debris cut to fit on the other side also, then theres a hole drilled in the middle of the I beam that I run a lag screw thru into the top of the log and it compresses the I-beam onto the spacers so they don't rattle loose. That I-beam is a bit too flexible to be supported just on the log ends, so I have to support it in the middle.

I'd cut six inches or so off each end to get you past those cracks that have already started. Otherwise they will likely grow even if you apply end sealer.

The log may be past its prime but I am sure there will be some interesting sections, even some spalting, that you will be able to use.

Dan

Yeah I probably will cut those pieces down to 8' length and square them up, my plan is to use them for workbench tops. I'll probably take off one more 5/4, then a 9/4, then mini-mill one side and finish taking off 5/4s. I wanted live edge on both sides of the central 9/4 piece, so I can't mini-mill it till that middle section comes off. I think I might try to make a coffee table out of the middle piece.

Last edited:
Naw, its a little section of oak branch that was the right size, theres some other random debris cut to fit on the other side also, then theres a hole drilled in the middle of the I beam that I run a lag screw thru into the top of the log and it compresses the I-beam onto the spacers so they don't rattle loose. That I-beam is a bit too flexible to be supported just on the log ends, so I have to support it in the middle.

Yeah I probably will cut those pieces down to 8' length and square them up, my plan is to use them for workbench tops. I'll probably take off one more 5/4, then a 9/4, then mini-mill one side and finish taking off 5/4s. I wanted live edge on both sides of the central 9/4 piece, so I can't mini-mill it till that middle section comes off. I think I might try to make a coffee table out of the middle piece.

Sweet. Wondering what you mill guys do to preserve the wood such as after you make the coffee table, how do you get the wood to last for many years without rotting, molding, ect.

Sweet. Wondering what you mill guys do to preserve the wood such as after you make the coffee table, how do you get the wood to last for many years without rotting, molding, ect.

If it's indoors in a dry place it should not rot or go mouldy even without a finish.

Finishes range from wipe on oils and waxes or polyurethanes, to water based and oil based painted on polyurethanes. For extreme gloss there are lacquers and even two pack poly/epoxies. After all that you can oil and or wax over the top again.

I just finished coating some ends of veranda posts with 2 pack marine grade epoxy.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back