Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting

Diesel has a very low octane rating (around 20), and adding it to gasoline in any quantity lowers the overall octane rating.
Interesting to know about the diesel. How does that compare with modern syn oils? Do they make the octane change a lot?

Anyway, just something goofy I thought I would ask, thinking in an emergency if you didn't have any mix oil what might work.

Anyway, just something goofy I thought I would ask, thinking in an emergency if you didn't have any mix oil what might work.

My old owners manuals for my old saws still say 30 wt non detergent motor oil can be used. They never changed the manuals for the 40 some years that the saw was made...Bob

LMAO... :laugh:

Stihl Ultra @ 50:1, 92 octane pump gas.

Gary

Same as gary, Stihl Ultra. 92 Pump gas. If you can afford it i like to run 110Racing fuel.If you have an ace hardware around there pick up a jug of there brand Bar oil. It has the same tackiness as Stihls oil. Its alot cheaper. My $.02
-ac

going to try opti2.heard its very good oil and they claim that they guarantee to never have a ring or piston problem again.does anybody have info on this oil?
I ran Opti2 for about 9 years in blowers and weedeaters (my saws don't get the regular use as they do) - never a problem. I got tired of mashing a cold bottle or having it get a crack in it and changed to Stihl Ultra + prem. unleaded.

If it was an 'emergency' where you really had to get a saw up and running, say to get a deadfall off of someone, you can use just about anything. I've seen dirt bikes use chain lube and ATF in the mix to finish a race.

We've been discussing quality lubricants, but a lot of lubricants will keep a saw from seizing, however long term wear is another issue.

Oh ya!

My old owners manuals for my old saws still say 30 wt non detergent motor oil can be used. They never changed the manuals for the 40 some years that the saw was made...Bob

Good to know! So in an absolute pinch, you could theoretically use the same quart of cheapo car oil for both the mix and the bar.

Almost all of my earlier cutting was done with just a bucksaw. I went several years cutting 3-4 cords a year by hand. Never really needed a chainsaw then as I enjoyed the hand sawing once I learned my limits. I bought one, a cox, it ran.... but hardly ever used it, I liked my handsawing too much then back in my 20s, plus there I lived way the heck out in the boonies and only came into town with a bicycle once a month or something, so was much easier to just grab a handfull of new cheap bucksaw blades then anything else. I was a wild woods hippie then ;) Liked it quiet, didn't really like real loud engine noises and whatnot. Still don't like it loud now, but appreciate the work I can get out of ten bucks of fuel and oil....

Then went a LONG time not needing firewood, last six years now back to needing it, so started chainsawing a lot more. I did saw in the intervening years, but only for cleanup jobs for other people, nothing major, cheap used saws FTW there. Now, just need more because it is necessary. I ain't hand cutting like I used to, but still enjoy hand splitting, I always loved that part for some masochistic reason...

Sorry I was talking about a gallon of Stihl ultra for $59.99

Thanks, I have used the orange stihl bottles to date and want to switch to the ultra after I finish the 4 bottles of 2.5 I have left which will make me 8 gallons of mix.

Would the gallon of ultra be recommended for someone who uses 3-5 gallons per year? This year being an exception. This year I probably will run about double that mix fuel or possibly more, since I have about 120 yards worth of 20' length logs to cut.

If I buy a gallon of ultra and fill the empty orange bottles to have ready to mix will the oil go bad like that or should I just buy the smaller sealed ultra 2.5 mix?

Thanks, I have used the orange stihl bottles to date and want to switch to the ultra after I finish the 4 bottles of 2.5 I have left which will make me 8 gallons of mix.

Would the gallon of ultra be recommended for someone who uses 3-5 gallons per year? This year being an exception. This year I probably will run about double that mix fuel or possibly more, since I have about 120 yards worth of 20' length logs to cut.

If I buy a gallon of ultra and fill the empty orange bottles to have ready to mix will the oil go bad like that or should I just buy the smaller sealed ultra 2.5 mix?

Ive always kept the small bottles and re filled them.. it makes it much easier to carry 1 or 2 of those little bottles of oil around than a big 1 gallon jug. Id rather buy 1 gallon of gas at a time than a bigger 2.5 or 5 gallon jug, much easier to fill the saw from a smaller fuel container. The oil should not go bad for quite some time, it will out last the gas for longevity. The oil should last years even if its put into smaller jugs. fuel starts to go bad after about 30 days.

Last edited:

In a sealed container the oil will last for quite some time.

Hey Andre, Mr. Andre Is The Oil Guy:) Tell me more about Echo Powerblend XTended Life oil. How good of an oil is it? Is it for air cooled engines only, or would it be a decent oil to use in something like a Yamaha Banshee?

Brad if this engine is a oil injected model i would only recommend 2 stroke injector oil. If the engine isn't i would run it with confidence because i have used it everything and it burns clean with very little smell or smoke.

have you tried the red armor? it contains a red dye it is full syn JASO FD and ISO L-EGD also and has a slight sweet smell when burned but not a sicking smell either same color as Bel-Ray H1R. http://www.redarmoroil.com/

http://www.echo-usa.com/getattachment/eb8d9591-2580-44db-8dd0-960f63732f3e
echo powerblend is semi syn and rated JASO FD and ISO L-EGD. l

Back