Ok January 1 is here, 2153 update??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things marketers are actually running out of is names, believe it or not. When you consider the number of countries (and languages) Jred sells in, it's probably easiest to keep from violating trademarks by just making up a word.

And still they failed with the uniqueness. The word isn't mentioned on thier pages, but that word is the registered Internet domain of the company Ultimate Corrosion Control Inc.

But it could have been worse, much worse: Honda had a car a few years ago named the same as the, how should I put this... the daily Swedish common name for a womans most private parts. They also had a lot of marketing material made up before they were made aware of the situation. One brochure had printed on the first page, in bold: "Honda [the_word]: A daily pleasure", and the rest of the material were of the same kind... Never before has a car manufacturer gotten so much help by both Swedish media and the Swedish public in creating new slogans and pay-off's on the same theme, where none whatsoever would have been printable on their marketing material...

Today I think the car is marketed world-wide as Honda Jazz. Come to think of it, that's still just one letter from being unmarketable again...

OK, we have an update.

Not a real big one, but info has started to trickle out.

Was told today that they will be taking orders this month for February delivery. They are waiting on a firm price from Sweden. I figure it would be $20 either side of the NE 346, so I said "Just send 'em".

Will they come with the powerbox, carried away program?

According to my dealer, Bag and Drag is only available on saws in stock. From my understanding this program normally ends in Dec of every year. I for one one will feel pretty lucky just to be able to buy the saw on its own. Any expectation of a promotion with a Powerbox or anything else is premature IMO.

BTW, there is a 2152 that was just listed on Ebay by Simonians that is labeled Ulticor, for those who care. Item # is 290196657666. Also, has a primer. Never saw a primer on a '52. My 2171 was displayed on the shelf just like this saw, sans the primer, looking like any other 2171. You can clearly see the Ulticor name on the sticker and the foldout leaflet dangling for the handlebar. Got the day off today so I will try to get some pics up.

Woodie is on target........

I have no idea what Ulticor means (or doesn't), but I imagine it is a non-word on purpose.

One of the things marketers are actually running out of is names, believe it or not. When you consider the number of countries (and languages) Jred sells in, it's probably easiest to keep from violating trademarks by just making up a word.

Take for example the old firm of Andersen Consulting. When they split off from the parent company (right before it went belly-up!), they were required to rename the firm. One of the problems they faced was picking a name that wouldn't mean anything bad, or violate any trademarks, in just about every language on earth. So they held an employee contest, and the winner just grafted 'accent' and 'future' together to make Accenture. (I think it would have been funnier had it been Fuccent, but hey...) Then it took the marketing department literally months to make sure it didn't piss-off somebody.

Look at the auto industry...you think 'Altima' means anything? Or 'Camry'?

Well said Woodie, I'd be willing to bet you hit it on the head.

I was at the JRed dealer this afternoon and saw the Ulticor saws. From the tage it looks like all mg+ cases are Ulticor models. Received a grant, and might be able to get a couple new JReds this spring! I am thinking of a 2159 and of course the 2171.

Latest posts

Back