Old Gas - what to do with it? is it safe to dump?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughJass

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently bought a Husky 365 x torq and the dealer said to be sure to pour out the gas if its 30 days old. I know that gas will gum things up when its old, but my question is what to do with the old gas? I have a fire pit out back that I have been pouring it on, but I wonder about some of it seeping into the ground. We have a well. Are there any concerns about gasoline contaminating ground water? I thought most of it evaporated but I dont know. Also, it seems ironic that the EPA is putting ethanol in gas to help the environment, but the result is people dumping old gas because of the ethanol in it. Any thoughts appreciated.

Hmmm, well, the fuel is petroleum based...taken from oil...taken from the ground.

Setting it free in your fire pit won't hurt anything. However, you may want to keep your face away on initial fire up. :hmm3grin2orange:

30 days ain't too old, for me, never had a problem keeping it in a sealed container for 6+ months.

That said, I dump in the the mower, or truck, or on something I want to die...

Just dump it on the ground, thats where it came from, we all need to do our part , give back what we take:laugh:

Depending on how much old gas and how clean it is determines what I do with it.

If it's a small amount (chainsaw tank amount), I just pour it on a pile of kitty litter and let it evaporate. It's usually long gone within a few hours.

For larger, clean amounts I just pour it into one of the cars or pickup - as long as there is enough good stuff in the tank to offset the poor quality of the old stuff.

I haven't figured out what to do with large, dirty amounts - but since I've never had that problem, it's not a worry.

I use my saws often enough so that I don't have an old gas problem. I would dump it into my tractor if I had to dispose of some though. Gasoline will contaminate the ground water if enough of it was dumped but the small amount from a chainsaw tank should evaporate before it gets in to a well.

I use my saws often enough so that I don't have an old gas problem. I would dump it into my tractor if I had to dispose of some though. Gasoline will contaminate the ground water if enough of it was dumped but the small amount from a chainsaw tank should evaporate before it gets in to a well.

Depends on soils and depth to water table.

I put it in the waste oil bucket then use it to burn brush piles in the winter

FWIW- I topped off(91 octane/stihl ultra) my FS130 trimmer back in October and put it in the shed. Pulled it out this morning(April 22) and it fired first pull with choke on. Ran perfectly. No difference in performance when I added fresh(2 day old) mix.

It is water that causes ethanol to separate and cause problems. I buy my fuel from Safeway because they are busy so I figure fuel is the freshest and chance of water in it is very low. I store my fuel cans in the shed out of the weather. I also store my chainsaws, trimmers and mower in the shed. I always top them off before storing them and they always fire right off and run great whether its been a month or a year.

I deliver propane for a living and am always in peoples back yards. I bet 75% of people leave their gas cans and mowers/trimmers sitting out in the weather. Most of the gas cans have the nozzle pointing up and no cap on the end, so there is no doubt it collects rain and absorbs moisture out of the air. I bet these are the same idiots the dealers see with ethanol problems. Just can't fix stupid....:bang:

I will use very little for weed killer (doesnt take much), and use the rest for burning brush (used with precaution).

Billyjoejr, you got lucky. I use 91 octane, and hp ultra now. My saw shop 4-5 years ago said 30 days tops for etyhanol saw gas. And here Chevron super has been the best for our saws. I always cap my cans, and keep them in and dry. The ethanol is what the problem is, and can create moisture and water itself, so I have been told. All I know Is I have had to replace my 660 car due to it, rebuild my polesaw carb twice, and my 044 carb too. I have been guilty of storing my saws in the winter and some gas gets old. You should have seen the inside of my pole saw carbuerator. It is not just hype or talk it is really happening. If you get lucky with that old gas you are lucky, but it is a matter of time. And it is not good to run that old fuel. I also am using startron, as one of my friends here recomended it, it is made to curb all the ethanol issues.

Latest posts

Back