Only a half cord left

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have burned around 4 cords now heating 2400 sq.ft. We have about 3 left and most of that will make it to next year. My buddies brother has burned 7 cords and is out with his stove. And just about everyone else I know are out of wood. It's been a cold winter. We only have 3" of insulation in our attic so that's getting taken care of. Hopefully next year we will use less.

Just installed and fired the OWB on 31 Dec. Haven't used a drop of fuel oil since then and have probably been through 2 cords of oak, maple, poplar and poison ivy:msp_crying:. That was all I had left from my inside stove and some standing dead I cut this winter. Basically going from logging tops directly to the stove now. Also mixing some coal in with it. See "Coal in OWB" post to see how that's working out. Still beats paying the man for oil!

Opps forgot to say 2600 sq' well insulated at 70 degrees.

We have burned around 4 cords now heating 2400 sq.ft. We have about 3 left and most of that will make it to next year. My buddies brother has burned 7 cords and is out with his stove. And just about everyone else I know are out of wood. It's been a cold winter. We only have 3" of insulation in our attic so that's getting taken care of. Hopefully next year we will use less.

Jealous of your needed firewood amount.

The chick in your pic is hot.

We are down to 1/2 cord as well, but have saleable inventory to draw from if absolutely necessary and the LP guy was just here and that will cover us from April and beyond, but he always takes my info for businesses and residences so it all comes full circle.

LOL, I think we will be around the 5 cord mark this year. I haven't checked our lp tank but I know we ran the furnace 5 single cycles this year. I didn't want to wait to best the house up from 68 where the lp is set. We just have a gas stove, dryer and furnace and I think we used around 40 gallons of lp. I have been taking care of drafts as well as some remodeling. Once I finish sealing the attic and insulating it will make things better.

Do I think you're going to make it with what you have left-----NO!!! You will have to dig into your 2011-2012 stash pretty soon or it's going to be cold in your house!

I have burned about 2 1/2 cords so far. My Napoleon 1900 heats our 4,000 square foot home pretty efficiently at 73-75 degrees, which makes my wife real happy!

If you haven't purchased an EPA stove that burns clean & easy on the wood consumption, you may want to check on out. It will pay for itself in a short amount of time!

im down to a tailgate load!!!!!!! I got 2+ cords of beautiful white oak rounds that I plan on using next yr. I hate to have to buy a cord of seasoned to finish the yr. out but I may have to do it.

Been there before... That sucks!:msp_cursing::msp_cursing:[/QUOTE]

If that oak is still in rounds, you are going to be disappointed next winter. Oak usually needs 2 years to season sufficiently.

given what you've gone through already---Nope, ain't making it. I've been through roughly 8 cords so far since oct and figure 6 more before april. Using junk wood during the early months, hard wood in the cold months and more junk wood to finish out the year. The house is 160 years old w/ poor insulation in the older parts of the house, about 1700 sq ft, plus heating a greenhouse.

Back