OT-Lawn Tractor

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

infomet

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK, I know it's not a saw, but I'll bet someone has good lawn tractor experience. I'm sick of belt problems. Is there a lawn size tractor, up to 48" cut, that uses some sort of mechanical drive systems, especially for the deck?? Thanks, Wilson

To jump up to the hydraulically driven mowers is the next jump, but they still all use belts - even the high dollar pto driven tractors with a finish mower.

The only thing that doesn't use a belt is a "shredder" pulled behind a tractor with a pto drive. It doesn't make for a pleasing looking lawn.

Your problem is likely with a poorly adjusted belt system or a loose spindle and pulley. This will cause premature belt failure every time.

Check the bolts holding the spindles in place - if they're loose, replace them with new bolts and lock washers.

Size matters

Check owner's manual or mfg's website and try to find out the exact length belt that is supposed to on the deck. Might be the factory put the wrong length on to start with.
Also make sure the idler / tensioner arm and pulley assembly is not hanging up.
If it is proper tension is not being maintained.
Last thought, are you mowing a lot of side hill or uneven ground? Reason I ask is the belt on my old Simplicity deck used to jump on me if I got the deck too far out of parallel with the ground.

Hope you find a solution.
Take Care

When the time comes to replace a set of worn out gears you will wish it was a belt after you see the bill.

Old gravely

Is what you need. If you want a bullet proof gear driven mower, look at an 816 or 8163, these old cadillacs were all gear drive transmission, gear drive pto, most could have hydraulic lift, but alas there is one belt-on the deck, but at least it isn't going over lots of round-the-corner idler pulleys!:clap:

My folks have a JD 435 IIRC garden tracter they mow with (60" deck). It is a hydrostatic drive and has a drive shaft that runs from the front of the engine to the deck. It runs a transverse gearbox with a pully. The pulley drives a 2 sided belt. The belt runs over 3 pulleys under the deckplates and hasnt given them any trouble. The driveshaft is electonicaly engaged similar to a cars airconditioner clutch by the flip of a switch.

It does seem as though there was a smaller deck available but not sure if it was under 48".

Thanks everyone. I'll look at the Deere.
My irritation is the wheel drive belt. It really wants to jump the engine pulley when it's slackened to change gears.

Back