OWB Newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jh35

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I bought a used Heatmor 200 last summer. I had been wanting one for quite some time. About 95% of my heat for the last 12 or so years has been the Clayton/US Stove model 1537 (I think). Anyway its been great but I really wanted the fire outside and I do not like buying propane for my DHW.

i'm a full time machinist and a part time mechanical engineering student at a big university so I wasn't able to get everything hooked up until last weekend. I did a lot of it myself but had help from Dad and FIL for the outside work. I did most of the inside plumbing myself except for hiring the sheetmetal work for the heat exchanger (forced air) and some help repairing a leak and getting things fired up. (Bunch of great guys showed up Sunday unannounced to help)

If I ever have to do this again I will make sure all of the air is out of the system BEFORE the water is hot. OUCH!! With the help I had on Sunday, things were moving along quickly and the fire was lit before anyone thought about the possibility of air in the system. The removable / reusable pex fittings (can I say the name here?) worked as advertised although not cheap.

The stove is about 80' from the house. I used the CB thermopex line which isn't cheap but it was $1 / ft cheaper than the Logstor and quite a bit closer. I couldn't see if there is much difference between the two anyway.

I used the shorter sidearm heat exchanger for the DHW that has multiple small lines inside. I did not do any reserch but it was cheaper and I liked the idea. Two days in and the teenager (long showers) has not complained about a lack of hot water yet. It was frosty outside this morning and the house was a toasty 74 Deg. F just where we set it.

I hope this works out as planned. Wife's cousin has an 8yr old Heatmor 200 with no issues. FIL's is 5 years old. Dad's 400 was new last fall. Hunting buddy had a 200 for several years until he moved with no issues. So pretty much I knew what brand I wanted from being around them. Nothing negative about any other make, just good references from family and friends.

I need to add conditioner right away but I'm not sure what to get. Please advise. It holds 114 gallons of water.

thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
The dealer I bought my burner from gave me a bunch of conditioner,not sure who makes it but it is called SL-1

With all that experience with Heatmore in your circle of family/friends and heating with a woodstove previously you don't sound like a newbie to me! Just have to adjust your routine a bit. And when you want the ambiance of the fire inside you still have that option.

update...

I've been very happy with the Heatmor. I'm still burning just for the hot water. I really don't like the thought of burning propane so I may continue to burn through the summer but we'll see where it goes. A wheelbarrow load is getting me about 5 days or so right now so its really not that much wood.

jh35, does your incoming water go through the side arm then the furnace heat exchanger? Are you using a pump to circulate the dhw or just by thermosyphom?

owb

I bought a used Heatmor 200 last summer. I had been wanting one for quite some time. About 95% of my heat for the last 12 or so years has been the Clayton/US Stove model 1537 (I think). Anyway its been great but I really wanted the fire outside and I do not like buying propane for my DHW.

i'm a full time machinist and a part time mechanical engineering student at a big university so I wasn't able to get everything hooked up until last weekend. I did a lot of it myself but had help from Dad and FIL for the outside work. I did most of the inside plumbing myself except for hiring the sheetmetal work for the heat exchanger (forced air) and some help repairing a leak and getting things fired up. (Bunch of great guys showed up Sunday unannounced to help)

If I ever have to do this again I will make sure all of the air is out of the system BEFORE the water is hot. OUCH!! With the help I had on Sunday, things were moving along quickly and the fire was lit before anyone thought about the possibility of air in the system. The removable / reusable pex fittings (can I say the name here?) worked as advertised although not cheap.

The stove is about 80' from the house. I used the CB thermopex line which isn't cheap but it was $1 / ft cheaper than the Logstor and quite a bit closer. I couldn't see if there is much difference between the two anyway.

I used the shorter sidearm heat exchanger for the DHW that has multiple small lines inside. I did not do any reserch but it was cheaper and I liked the idea. Two days in and the teenager (long showers) has not complained about a lack of hot water yet. It was frosty outside this morning and the house was a toasty 74 Deg. F just where we set it.

I hope this works out as planned. Wife's cousin has an 8yr old Heatmor 200 with no issues. FIL's is 5 years old. Dad's 400 was new last fall. Hunting buddy had a 200 for several years until he moved with no issues. So pretty much I knew what brand I wanted from being around them. Nothing negative about any other make, just good references from family and friends.

I need to add conditioner right away but I'm not sure what to get. Please advise. It holds 114 gallons of water.

thanks,
Jeff

If you can fill the Heatmor half full with firebrick you will burn less wood too as the firebrick will act as a heat sink and also aid in combustion by keeping the firebox hotter as well.

jh35, does your incoming water go through the side arm then the furnace heat exchanger? Are you using a pump to circulate the dhw or just by thermosyphom?

The incoming water goes through the sidearm first. My reasoning for that is because my house is small and I had no fears of keeping the house warm. However, with a 14 yeat old daughter, I initially had fears of keeping enough hot water.:laugh:

Just thermosiphon, no pump on the DHW. It's working well.

The incoming water goes through the sidearm first. My reasoning for that is because my house is small and I had no fears of keeping the house warm. However, with a 14 yeat old daughter, I initially had fears of keeping enough hot water.:laugh:

Just thermosiphon, no pump on the DHW. It's working well.

Good to hear as I will be doing the same except instead of water to air will be going water to water brazed plate exchanger for in floor heat.

Good to hear as I will be doing the same except instead of water to air will be going water to water brazed plate exchanger for in floor heat.

My in-laws have the same Heatmor that I have but water to water exchanger and baseboard heat. They hired the hookup in the utility room and it looks really nice but I'm not sure if it flows through the sidearm first or not.

Anybody else that has a 14 year old daughter knows how much hot water is needed . I only have one child and I'm not burning propane so it's all OK.

Back