Picking a New Chainsaw (stihl obviously)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELITER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
OK so I have been cutting firewood for around 15 years, I always used my fathers old 041 AV that he bought new in '77 and hasn't ever had to open up. That saw is a real go getter and has cut 100's of cords for us.

Anyway, I needed my own saw and I bought a lot smaller saw a few years back a husky 44 that I have had nothing but trouble with and want to ditch (runs strong, now it needs a drive sprocket). I am looking at getting a bigger saw at least in the 041av range and possibly with the ability to mount a Alaskan CSM to later.

I am mostly bucking logs (18"-36") into firewood and want a 24" bar with a power head that can push a 24" bar through a 30" oak tree without any qualms. I Know that the 041 will do this with a sharp chain. What newer saws are comparable?? I have been looking at MS 440's and MS 441's, and then reading information where many recomend a MS 361 for firewood.

I also would like to be able to push it through a decent sized log with a CSM and have a good cut. but this is 2nd to weight and firewood.

How do the following compare:
Stihl 041 AV (Super/rancher/farm boss/ etc)
Stihl 034 super AV
Stihl 044 magnum
Stihl MS 361
Stihl MS 440
Stihl MS 441

The factors of importance are, HP, displacement, WEIGHT, reliability, and of course personal experiences.

Most of the firewood will be hardwoods but I will cut some softwoods also, here in the PNW we have some big fast growing trees...

Thanks for all of your help, also what price range can I expect for the different models of saws?
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Of all those saws mentioned, the 440 would be the best saw for your firewood cutting needs. New ones are becoming rare . You will probably have to settle for a 441. And they aren't a bad saw. 70.7 cc's is more than enough for most firewood cutting. The 441 will pull a 24 in. bar with authority ! If you are going to be cutting 30 in. Oaks often , with a 24 in. bar, forget the 361 , there is no replacement for displacement. There is about 2 lbs. difference between the 361 and the 441, and about $150.00 but the power increase is worth it !
441 Dealer suggested retail with a 25 in. bar is around $ 769.00. You ought to be able to get it for around $700.00 .
Dealer suggested retail for the 361 with a 20 in. bar is $589.00
You said milling was secondary, if you are going to be doing much of it at all, I'd consider going much bigger than the saws listed.
:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
O.K., I'm gonna go there only because you didn't say it had to be Stihl, just obviouslybecause you have had experience w/ them. I don't have experience with the big saws but did alot of research before I bought my smaller saw...but the Husky 575xp sure looks like a contender and is right around $600, the 372xp would save about a pound for about $40 less.

However, if I had the $$$, the 440 would be the ticket. Enjoy whichever you decide on. :cheers:

How about a PS7900 ? Plenty of power for firewood cutting.
If they fit on a Alaskan I don't know, maybe someone has experience with that???

How about a PS7900 ? Plenty of power for firewood cutting.
If they fit on a Alaskan I don't know, maybe someone has experience with that???

I guess someone had to say it first. I'm a Stihl lover, but I have to admit that there is no saw on the market with the 7900's combination of weight and power. As a matter of fact, I have a barely used 361 I'm considering trading off for a 7900.

I think the saws on your list on too wimpy for 30" oak. I'd choose an MS460 if you want Stihl.

However I think the Domar 7900 would be perfect for the application.

How do the 440 and the 441 compare in weight? power? etc etc.
What about the domar 7900, how does it compare in weight power etc?

I have been leaning heavy towards the 440 since I started looking but I really need to get off my ass and go handle one for a bit to know.

Where are Dolmars made? I looked at one on E-bay looks like a slick saw, Lightweight for the size...

Sounds like to me you need two saws. A MS260 or MS361 for limbing and tops of the tree and a MS660 for felling, bucking and milling.

I actually have an old 025 I need to clean up that could be used for limbing and smaller stuff, however..I doubt I would want to haul a 660 around for all my firewood just for the occasional use as a CSM..

I am leaning more towards a 440 or 441 and buying an older BIG stihl for a mill like a 088 or 066.. 2 saws one for mill one for felling bucking etc..

I have to go for the Dolmar 7900 it is one mean machine but if you decide on stihl to get the kind of power you have in the 041 you will need a 70cc saw like the 440 or 441. Those old 041 are a torque monster for a small saw unfortunately they dont make them like that anymore.

I have to go for the Dolmar 7900 it is one mean machine but if you decide on stihl to get the kind of power you have in the 041 you will need a 70cc saw like the 440 or 441. Those old 041 are a torque monster for a small saw unfortunately they dont make them like that anymore.

Interesting to know... I have had opportunities to buy a decent old 041 super.. but was leaning towards new due to thinking it would be much lighter... does anyone know the spec for an 041 compared to a ms 440?? if I am not saving any weight maybe I should be saving money..

I didn't know the 041 was so highly ranked with torque compared to new ones I thought it would be like all other engine stuff newer is generally: smaller, lighter and stronger..

I have been leaning heavy towards the 440 since I started looking but I really need to get off my ass and go handle one for a bit to know.

Where are Dolmars made? I looked at one on E-bay looks like a slick saw, Lightweight for the size...

440 - 13.9#, 5.4 HP
441 - 14.6#, 5.5 HP
7900 - 13.6#, 6.3 HP (made in Germany)

I dont know the torque specs on the 041 feels stronger than the 361. So I figure it is closer to the 440 never actually run a 440 though so dont know for sure. The 361 is definitely lighter though and less vibe than the 041.

get a 460 and your good to go!!

I have to say I'm with Kevlar on this one. :clap:

Coming from someone who has both the 044/MS440 and the 046/MS460 I can say without question that you would be better off with the MS460. The MS361 is a fine saw but definitely not suited to run a 24" bar full time in hardwood. Your not likely to find the discontinued MS440 anymore but if you can it will run the 24" in hardwood ok but not with the authority that the MS460 will. Your choices are more likely going to be narrowed down to the MS441 or MS460:

MS441 = 5.5 hp @ 14.6 lbs
MS460 = 6 hp @ 14.6 lbs

if your gonna carry the weight why not get the extra power???

My 044 serves it's time on the end of a 20" bar for hardwood and seems to be well suited to it, the MS460 wears the 24" bar and chain full time and can (and does) pull 28" and 32" bars when necessary. The MS460 would also be a better choice for lite milling duties although milling really requires a truly big saw.

Just my .02 for the day

Here we go...

Eh, wise choice looking at the 7900 bro... I'll never look at another saw in the 70cc territory from Stihl or Husky again. I've got 3 041's that I've sworn by for years, and still use on occasion when I wanna feel my hands, lol... I did love my 440, excellent saw... Think of your 041 FB, then think of newer with a little more power, less torque, and that's the 440, the 460 has the torque the 440 is lacking, and the 7900 is like the 460, but with a little bit of Steroids, lmfao... I swear by my 7900, and yes, it's big enough to mill with. I'm ordering a Granberg mill from the Cutting Edge on here for my 7900 in a few weeks. It WILL handle it now problem. Try a 7900, you won't be disappointed.

:cheers:

And you'll save about $200...

So I am now heavily leaning towards the 7900 it weighs so much less, has more power, plus it looks DAMN sexxy!!

What are the drawbacks of the saw?

How are the parts and reliability? Do saw shops that deal with stihl ever work on dolmars (god forbid it ever needs work)

Also do the dolmars have cats? I don't want any extra emmission gear to weigh my saw down..

Also anyone know the weight of a stihl 041 powerhead for comparison or do I need to strip my dads and weigh it??

Latest posts

Back