Picking a New Chainsaw (stihl obviously)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am now heavily leaning towards the 7900 it weighs so much less, has more power, plus it looks DAMN sexxy!!

What are the drawbacks of the saw?

How are the parts and reliability? Do saw shops that deal with stihl ever work on dolmars (god forbid it ever needs work)

Also do the dolmars have cats? I don't want any extra emmission gear to weigh my saw down..

I got to run the 7900 at the IN GTG and have to say it is a nice saw and I would have no problems recommending it. So far reliability does not seem to be an issue but with limited time in service only time will tell. I think the biggest draw back to the Dolmar is the dealer network, or lack there of. If you don't have a Dolmar dealer local I would stick to the Stihl. If the saw does need service I would imagine you could probably talk a Stihl dealer into working on one but you can bet that you are gonna pay full price (and then some) for service and your saw is gonna be headed straight to the back of the bench.

So I am now heavily leaning towards the 7900 it weighs so much less, has more power, plus it looks DAMN sexxy!!

What are the drawbacks of the saw?

How are the parts and reliability? Do saw shops that deal with stihl ever work on dolmars (god forbid it ever needs work)

Also do the dolmars have cats? I don't want any extra emmission gear to weigh my saw down..

Also anyone know the weight of a stihl 041 powerhead for comparison or do I need to strip my dads and weigh it??

PM dude

OK so I have been cutting firewood for around 15 years, I always used my fathers old 041 AV that he bought new in '77 and hasn't ever had to open up. That saw is a real go getter and has cut 100's of cords for us.

Anyway, I needed my own saw and I bought a lot smaller saw a few years back a husky 44 that I have had nothing but trouble with and want to ditch (runs strong, now it needs a drive sprocket). I am looking at getting a bigger saw at least in the 041av range and possibly with the ability to mount a Alaskan CSM to later.

I am mostly bucking logs (18"-36") into firewood and want a 24" bar with a power head that can push a 24" bar through a 30" oak tree without any qualms. I Know that the 041 will do this with a sharp chain. What newer saws are comparable?? I have been looking at MS 440's and MS 441's, and then reading information where many recomend a MS 361 for firewood.

I also would like to be able to push it through a decent sized log with a CSM and have a good cut. but this is 2nd to weight and firewood.

How do the following compare:
Stihl 041 AV (Super/rancher/farm boss/ etc)
Stihl 034 super AV
Stihl 044 magnum
Stihl MS 361
Stihl MS 440
Stihl MS 441

The factors of importance are, HP, displacement, WEIGHT, reliability, and of course personal experiences.

Most of the firewood will be hardwoods but I will cut some softwoods also, here in the PNW we have some big fast growing trees...

Thanks for all of your help, also what price range can I expect for the different models of saws?
Thanks!!

Weightwise to handle for long periods of time both limbing and bucking(I do mostly hardwoods here) ,the biggest saw I feel comfortable with is my 044 (like the 440). More power is always an advantage when bucking large logs so if your in good shape you may be better jumping up to the 460 or simmiliar.
I am spoiled with my 660 when I have a lot of bucking without much limbing.

Last edited:
The powerhead of the 041 and the powerhead of the 7900 are very close I believe the 041 is about a .5 heavier than the 7900. Thats without bar and chain.

Does anyone have a reliable weight on an 041av powerhead? the one on that site has a 13" bar, I don't have any idea what one weighs with chain..

the problem you would have around here in oregon (i live in oregon too) is that there is only one dolmar shop... that i know about, and its in portland. oregon is almost all stihl country, with a few huskys sprinkled about.

i was on a fire crew, and used 440's and were really liked them. but then i bought a 460 and was surprised what a few more cc could do. in oak i would rather run the 066 but the 460 does a great job too.

If you are wanting to stick with Stihl:

Two saw combo: 361 and 660/066 modd them both, for sure mod the 361 it will get into the 40's range and really save on refueling times, LOL.

One saw: 460 mod it and it would work for whatever you would probably need.

I like modified saws, even if they are new, they just save so much time in the cut.

I don't know what numbers a modified 7900 would run but a properly modded 460 can pull some "pleasing" numbers in the power to weight ratio game, could possibly be everything you need in one package.

If money is an issue, buy used and get them modified.

My opinion,

Sam

the problem you would have around here in oregon (i live in oregon too) is that there is only one dolmar shop... that i know about, and its in portland. oregon is almost all stihl country, with a few huskys sprinkled about.

i was on a fire crew, and used 440's and were really liked them. but then i bought a 460 and was surprised what a few more cc could do. in oak i would rather run the 066 but the 460 does a great job too.

we have a similar issue here. i dont even get a chance to slag dolmar off because:

1. No dealer will stock them.
2. They are imported by makita, who dont give a $hit about them i.e. no spares, no product knowledge, no experience, no market support.

Its all stihl and husky here. if a dealer cant get that agency, they are pretty much a dead business having to resort to echo, shindaiwa, or oleomac (which do not sell at all in nz - sorry if you have one, but you are one in a million)

...btw, all the specs posted here so far are the "catalog/web-site" ones, they more often than not are not quite true.....:givebeer:

...btw, all the specs posted here so far are the "catalog/web-site" ones, they more often than not are not quite true.....:givebeer:

One exemple, the 441 is actually heavier than the 460, and just as heavy as the 575xp, which is a tad lighter than specked, while the 441 is a tad heavier than specked...

Last edited:
It hasn't stopped the 441 selling like hot cakes even when side by side with the 460... Only the weak worry about a few ounces... ;)

It hasn't stopped the 441 selling like hot cakes even when side by side with the 460... Only the weak worry about a few ounces... ;)

Sure, I am a 230 lbs weakling, that prefere the MS361 as a limbing saw.....:cheers:

I can even bend my back now and then, despite of serious Arthritis + 5 disfigured vertebrae (vedge chaped) - I just place my left elbo on the left knee, for support - no problem......

I never understood the guys the want a long bar, for not bending over, sounds plainly lazy too me.....

Last edited:
If you can afford it , get yourself 2 saw's a Stihl MS660 for doing all the big stuff and a smaller one for limbing , the 660 is exelent for the big stuff , but a bit heavy for lot's of limbing and Im no weakling , it's just a lot smarter to work smarter , not harder with a heroe's attitude , we only have one body and need to look after it , I use my small saw Ms 180c for limbing . Cheer's MM

Back