Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got down there and was a little disappointed in what I found. The saw runs really strong, oils well and except for two issues looks to be in good shape.

The clutch cover is cracked in half but in a non stress area so I think I can repair that with JB Weld. The handle is cracked right through and I'll need to replace that or more than likely have it TIG welded.

I hesitated buying it but it sounded so darn good I couldn't resist. Got it for $100 and I'm happy with that.
Compression checked out at 135 lbs but I think the decomp valve is leaking a bit. The piston and cylinder look really clean so it may need a ring.

Tag says it's a P51H built in 82. It came with a 24" bar and Pioneer chain

I'm looking forward to trying a cut tomorrow after I sharpen the chain and then fixing her up.

(My wife isn't home yet so I will forward my black eye pic later.)

Here are a few pics

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0814.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

You did great! It was obviously beat around, but it doesn't look to have many hours on it. Most of the paint is worn off mine, and it was runnin' like a turpentined cat today. I got to run that one and my 655 today for a big load of wood. Yahoo! Yes, the ol' five-cuber does run well enough that I can mention it in the same sentence as 655BP.

See? that was pretty easy! :msp_smile:

Great people on here, although...
About 8 months ago I thought why should I buy firewood when so many prople in the city are trying to get rid of it. I only had my trusty CS310 and thought I shoud get something with a little more zip so I bought the 026.

I searched for advice to get it going in peak form, which it is, thanks to you guys, and look what you guys did to me. Now I have 11 saws mostly bought one at a time.

That's the best part of this thing (CAD)

Thanks

Great people on here, although...
About 8 months ago I thought why should I buy firewood when so many prople in the city are trying to get rid of it. I only had my trusty CS310 and thought I shoud get something with a little more zip so I bought the 026.

I searched for advice to get it going in peak form, which it is, thanks to you guys, and look what you guys did to me. Now I have 11 saws mostly bought one at a time.

That's the best part of this thing (CAD)

Thanks

Only 11 saws ! Your not even getting warmed up yet ! :D Add a zero on the end of that,then your getting some where ! :D

A quick question on the walbro carb on the PP 655, what is the brass plug on the same side as the high and low adjustment needles, it has a spring, rubber nipple and washer inside it , I plugged the governor on the other side of the carb as it was faulty and took it down for inspection and cleaning and now I am curious as to what this is and what it does, thanks in advance.

A quick question on the walbro carb on the PP 655, what is the brass plug on the same side as the high and low adjustment needles, it has a spring, rubber nipple and washer inside it , I plugged the governor on the other side of the carb as it was faulty and took it down for inspection and cleaning and now I am curious as to what this is and what it does, thanks in advance.

That's the accelerator pump, such as it is. As to its effectiveness, I have no idea. Probably worth noting that the truly sought-after carb for these saws is the SDC 80.

Chris B.

P51

Sharpened the chain today, fired it up and made a few cuts.

What a beast. Tons of torque. I had to go across the yard to get the cookies back.

Would one of you let me know what the size and thread pitch of he starter cover screws are?

I would also be good to know what type of head were on the OEM screws.

Thanks

Tim

Sharpened the chain today, fired it up and made a few cuts.

What a beast. Tons of torque. I had to go across the yard to get the cookies back.

Would one of you let me know what the size and thread pitch of he starter cover screws are?

I would also be good to know what type of head were on the OEM screws.

Thanks

Tim

12/24 machine screws. I have a box of assorted ones, I can send you some with the other stuff.

Original screws on the starter cover were slotted, with a fairly flat head on them. Hard to tell on the picture, but those look to be the originals. Should be able to find them as they were used on the P40, 41 series as well.

That's the accelerator pump, such as it is. As to its effectiveness, I have no idea. Probably worth noting that the truly sought-after carb for these saws is the SDC 80.

Chris B.

What other saws use the SDC 80 so I can keep a lookout for one if the need arises.

Original screws on the starter cover were slotted, with a fairly flat head on them. Hard to tell on the picture, but those look to be the originals. Should be able to find them as they were used on the P40, 41 series as well.

Thanks for that info. I don't think they are the originals as the lengths don't seem to be right but, I will find some that are close or right.

You did great Tim!! If Chris can't fix you up with the parts, I can send them to you. I also have a coffee can full of nos Pioneer screws if you need any.
I also have an oem starter handle you can have, that one looks a little strange.

Latest posts

Back