Please help out an Aussie noob with saw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbosmash

Reaction score
Hi guys, nice forum you have here, even if it did show me how woefully inadequate my knowledge on saws is. :bowdown:

Hope I can get some advice, I'll try to keep the backstory to a minimum.

I live on a 20 acre heavily wooded block with a mix of red gum, stringy bark and long leaf bark. For the last ~20 years my dad and I have used an old Partner 5000 to cut firewood from fallen logs, fell and chop the occasional tree and generally help out any friends that don't own a saw. This mostly includes cutting off stumps, sizing old railway sleepers for use in gardens etc. The biggest wood we cut regularly is no more than 18" thick.

The saw is getting pretty old now, vibrates badly and is costing more in maintenance than I think it's worth. Having done some reading here though, it seems these are popular old saws! I wouldn't know where to take it for a complete rebuild and overhaul, but if that's a good option then by all means let me know.

So... That leads me here! Budget is around $1000AUD, less would be nice obviously, I can only stretch a little if it's really worth the extra for my use. The saw gets used about once a month, usually for an intense 1-2 day period. I'm a little lost with all the choice, though I am attracted to Stihl and Husky because I've used and liked them. I'm not totally opposed to secondhand if a great deal comes up.

I'm sure I've left out critical info or used completely the wrong terms, hopefully you can make sense of it and I can try to clarify anything necessary. :)

For a start welcome to the forum!

What size (diameter) wood do you usually cut?

Welcome
I would say something in the 70cc range with a 20'' bar would be the go,but ya wont get a new one for $1000.
A new Stihl 441C or 460 will be around $1700 new in Ozz or from the US something around $1100 to $1300.:msp_smile:

Hi guys, nice forum you have here, even if it did show me how woefully inadequate my knowledge on saws is. :bowdown:

Hope I can get some advice, I'll try to keep the backstory to a minimum.

I live on a 20 acre heavily wooded block with a mix of red gum, stringy bark and long leaf bark. For the last ~20 years my dad and I have used an old Partner 5000 to cut firewood from fallen logs, fell and chop the occasional tree and generally help out any friends that don't own a saw. This mostly includes cutting off stumps, sizing old railway sleepers for use in gardens etc. The biggest wood we cut regularly is no more than 18" thick.

The saw is getting pretty old now, vibrates badly and is costing more in maintenance than I think it's worth. Having done some reading here though, it seems these are popular old saws! I wouldn't know where to take it for a complete rebuild and overhaul, but if that's a good option then by all means let me know.

So... That leads me here! Budget is around $1000AUD, less would be nice obviously, I can only stretch a little if it's really worth the extra for my use. The saw gets used about once a month, usually for an intense 1-2 day period. I'm a little lost with all the choice, though I am attracted to Stihl and Husky because I've used and liked them. I'm not totally opposed to secondhand if a great deal comes up.

I'm sure I've left out critical info or used completely the wrong terms, hopefully you can make sense of it and I can try to clarify anything necessary. :)
Hi,try a husqvarna 365 special,a great allrounder saw,it will handle that size timber easily.Had one for years,can,t kill em with a big stick;)or get a good 2ndhand pro husqvarna or stihl 70cc.that,l do ya.:chainsawguy:

Thanks for the quick replies guys. :msp_thumbup:

$1700 is out of the question unfortunately. :(

Our normal wood is 6-12" diameter, max of ~18" (very rarely).

365 looks nice, is there any models in particular I should be looking for secondhand?

have a look at the makita dcs7901. 79cc and available with either 20" or 24" bars std

365 looks nice, is there any models in particular I should be looking for secondhand?

Try to get the 365 (65cc) special, you can get them used in Australia for around $600-800. The newer 365 X-torq is a bit different and if you were considering importing a saw you could get a new one for a similar price to used here in OZ

have a look at the makita dcs7901. 79cc and available with either 20" or 24" bars std

Yes the makita is also a good option and the 6401 model (64cc) are available on ebay for around $750 new and comes with Australian warranty. It is a professional chainsaw and made in Germany. The 6401 can also be upgraded later on with a bigger piston and cylinder to make it a 7901 (79cc) if you find you need a bigger saw.

for that size wood have a look at a ms261 or a husky 550xp they will handle a 18" bar with "aplomb"
cheers

wow did i just recommend a small saw

Welcome to AS. Lots of good advice and wisdom here - everyone has a favourite but you really need to think about local servicing if you are not mechanically minded. All the name brands are good; I use Husky, Stihl, Dolmar, J'red, Solo and plenty of obsolete saws that were good in the day. Can't think of many bad saws really.
That old Poulan 5000 is fine saw (and as a matter of fact I collect 'em) but parts are always going to be an issue with 30 year old saws. Try a few of the recommended saws out - I am sure you will like one of them.
BTW, wanna sell the P 5000?

Al.

Here's my suggestion http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=120955882471&index=10&nav=SEARCH&nid=05943481242
Would be within your budget I think, even with freight to Oz. I was going to suggest checking Craigslist, but I did and all I saw for anywhere in country was an electric saw
For 30.00 in the Melbourne listings. The PM700 is a real good saw, I have a tad
Older one than the one in the eBay link I posted, and it is an awesome cutting saw with the 28" bar. Throw a 20"'on her and you will be hard pressed to slow it down in any wood. It pulls a 28" B/C like a breeze.

I gotta give my usual plug for the 562XP. Get one of our kind members to ship it for you. I gave 645$ for mine with a couple of extra goodies. Russ

Here's my suggestion http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=120955882471&index=10&nav=SEARCH&nid=05943481242
Would be within your budget I think, even with freight to Oz. I was going to suggest checking Craigslist, but I did and all I saw for anywhere in country was an electric saw
For 30.00 in the Melbourne listings. The PM700 is a real good saw, I have a tad
Older one than the one in the eBay link I posted, and it is an awesome cutting saw with the 28" bar. Throw a 20"'on her and you will be hard pressed to slow it down in any wood. It pulls a 28" B/C like a breeze.

i got one yesterday it had been fueled by the dealer and never used i got it for free i need a carb kit and fuel lines and ill be ready to rock

Thanks for the welcome guys, definitely glad I picked AS to join. :)

The Makita 6401 is seeming like a really good option, with the upgrade possible in the future if necessary.

Also, it seems to be about half the price of a comparable (64cc) stihl or husky. Am I missing something?

Secondhand/importing is an option, if it were my decision alone then definitely, but the old man is a little leery about either option. There would have to be a REALLY good case to convince him. :(

EDIT: Some of you are really close to me! We are in St.Andrews, at the foot of the kinglake mountain.

@Nardoo - definitely interested, it's probably not worth much to us as a second saw. No idea of value though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome guys, definitely glad I picked AS to join. :)

The Makita 6401 is seeming like a really good option, with the upgrade possible in the future if necessary.

Also, it seems to be about half the price of a comparable (64cc) stihl or husky. Am I missing something?

Secondhand/importing is an option, if it were my decision alone then definitely, but the old man is a little leery about either option. There would have to be a REALLY good case to convince him. :(

Not missing anything with the makita, it is just a very underrated saw - most people haven't heard about it. The build quality however is comparable to any professional stihl or husky.

Yes some money can be saved by importing a saw, but you loose your warranty and local dealers won't want to touch it once they discover its imported... they usually check the serial number.

For the amount that you use the saw I'd be going used. For stringybarks you're going to want a saw with a bit more grunt, I'd be going 70cc. For under $1000 you could get 2 good used saws, say, a stihl 026 and 044 or a husky 340e and a 562 or 372 which leaves you in a good place. Since you don't use that often be sure to stabilise your fuel and only use premium. Try not to store your mixed fuel more than a month if you can help it.

Shaun

St Andrews aye? I lived in St Andrews after Kinglake and before my final move to Beechworth. Have a mate in Buttermans track (Kennedy rd), Mick who I still see regularly.

Get this- I did a satellite install for a fella near Mt Beauty yesterday and he lived in a log cabin I lived in prior to me many, many years ago. Small world!

You have quite tight slow growing redbox down there.

Like Shaun said, stringy (and pepperment) need a little more grunt due to their bark.

EDIT: Some of you are really close to me! We are in St.Andrews, at the foot of the kinglake mountain.

It is a small world, I'm in Ferntree Gully and I have some good mates in Kinglake who run kinglake kustoms.

I was in a simlar position when I joined this site, I ended up with a Dolmar/Malita 6401 with a HD filter kit, it Aus it simply cant be beat for the $$$, nearly $1000 cheaper than a equivalent Stihl or Husky. I have been very happy with the same, I use it for intermediate use similar to you, firewood, 4x4 trips and it works well in the timber I cut, 20'' bar and I have cut some 35''+ timber with it.

Latest posts

Back