PNW tree pics. Let's see the day to day...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Cold_Iron. I noticed you are in Oak Harbor. I work in Coupeville 1-2 days a week.

I was just thinking this morning that I should take some pics of some of the Firs near Bowman's Bay / Deception Pass right off of Hwy 20.

Not that anyone is cutting them soon, but for the fact that they are just cool to look at.

Hey Cold_Iron. I noticed you are in Oak Harbor. I work in Coupeville 1-2 days a week.

I was just thinking this morning that I should take some pics of some of the Firs near Bowman's Bay / Deception Pass right off of Hwy 20.

Not that anyone is cutting them soon, but for the fact that they are just cool to look at.

Yeah, Deception Pass is beautiful!

The drive never gets old, especially when it is nice out.

Woke up at 7:00am to snow-covered yard and 35 degrees F. As soon as I get to Deception Pass bridge it is sunny with blue skies.

Gotta love the PNW!

You're probably right, with exception to B.C. maybe.

I haven't seen too many logs coming out of here that were monsters. Now Tree Sling'r has some good videos of him cutting some decent size trees.

Yup...Ask Slingr' about some of the stuff he cut on the Okie Sale at Jarbo Gap. Some of those logs were definitely picture-worthy.

GO FOR IT!

we still get quite a few three log loads.

3 log loads??? OMG... :jawdrop:

Thanks for not taking offense to my questions about the BIG TIMBER. I really didn't want people to take it like I was wanting trouble, far from it... I just wanted to see if that really was what all the hype was about...

Cheers eh?
:cheers:

Have returned from 2 days in hell (the city). By trolley thingy, are you meaning the carriage? I'll shrink some pictures of the "trolley thingies" but we don't do big trees anymore here. I didn't pack a camera back when they were cutting them and I was too busy trying to stay out of the way back then. They didn't use carriages much then, it was mostly big towers, high lead and butt rigging. In fact, those axemen trees look pretty big compared to the stuff here. Old growth/big trees are off limits. They belong to the owls and slugs and snails, etc. Once in a while, a big tree has to come down to make room for the landing, road or it is a safety problem. Then the cutters haggle over who gets to cut it. It stays in the woods as a down log for slugs, snails, lizards etc. I don't have pictures of cutters because there's only a few I'd want to be close enough to get pictures of, and one of them almost got me (my fault) and I had to work in major pain for about 2 months until I hurt something else that canceled out the previous owie. And things don't seem to heal up all the way anymore....Anyway, stay tuned for trolley thingy pictures.

Hey mang... I live in Oak Harbor too... Lots of big trees in DP State park.

Gary

Pictures of carriages.

This one is the most commonly used around here. Acme, made in Orygun.

attachment.php

Here it is arriving with a turn at the landing. These guys work one in the brush, one on the landing, and one on the logtruck. The one in the brush also runs up to operate the processor, which is in the background. The truck driver brother also does the cutting, and loads logs on his truck. The dad, runs the koller yarder and unhooks the logs. The advantage to this little yarder is they can pull it behind the log truck or skidder and the operator doesn't have to climb up and down to unhook the logs.

attachment.php

This carriage is a Maki. It is made in Idaho, north of Orofino, I believe. The crew was letting it slam into the tail tree which is not good for it, while I was down there. It broke down many times last year. It was brand new last year too. They weren't quick enough on the bugs. (one beep to stop)

attachment.php

These two guys show the size of the Maki carriage. The carriage battery quit working so they ran down and got a lawnmower battery and it is fastened just below the sheaves. Or is it spelled shivs? No duck tape was used.

attachment.php

The usual disclaimer: I photoshopped the blue sky into these pictures. It was actually quite foggy, drizzly, and miserable.

Last edited:
Lots of big trees in DP State park.

I thought I remember you saying something about being out on Whidbey awhile ago.

On the way out to the office I see this house with about 7-10 cord of fir logs stacked against the fence. No chimney (i.e. gas heat) and a stack of split wood. I always think to myself, "that could very well be Gary's house."

I always lol when Internet-doings collide with daily IRL activities. I think it's a sign I spend too much damn time behind a computer.

Here ya go!

attachment.php

These are out my bedroom window and definatly not big trees. This area burned to the ground in the 1920's so these are only 80 or so years old.

man o man!! i could have a hay day in there!! nice adn tall and straight and close to one another...slap a 32" on the 460 so i could to all the work from one side (if they are that big-kinda hard to tell) and go to town!!

Bigguns

Have returned from 2 days in hell (the city). By trolley thingy, are you meaning the carriage? I'll shrink some pictures of the "trolley thingies" but we don't do big trees anymore here. I didn't pack a camera back when they were cutting them and I was too busy trying to stay out of the way back then. They didn't use carriages much then, it was mostly big towers, high lead and butt rigging. In fact, those axemen trees look pretty big compared to the stuff here. Old growth/big trees are off limits. They belong to the owls and slugs and snails, etc. Once in a while, a big tree has to come down to make room for the landing, road or it is a safety problem. Then the cutters haggle over who gets to cut it. It stays in the woods as a down log for slugs, snails, lizards etc. I don't have pictures of cutters because there's only a few I'd want to be close enough to get pictures of, and one of them almost got me (my fault) and I had to work in major pain for about 2 months until I hurt something else that canceled out the previous owie. And things don't seem to heal up all the way anymore....Anyway, stay tuned for trolley thingy pictures.
So they dont' actually use the danged bigguns they cut? Ugh, friggin' tree huggers chap my a55 more and more all the time... It never ceases to amaze me. Those Trolley pics are super. Is that pretty much how everything is done? Question: When the trolley pulls the log to the top of the hill, we call it skidway, what stops it from sliding back down? Does a skidder grab hold? I can't figure it out. Do you have to clear a flat area?

:popcorn:

Thanks for those pics and super info slow... When I come out there, you have no idea how much I've had the itch the past few months to just pack up and move, andddddd if my daughter wasn't here in school and family, I'd be gone and there already... Anyways, I'm gonna buy you several beers my friend. :cheers:

Do trees from the PSW count?
The first two are from local log yards.
#1 is a three log load.
#2 The short logs are 16'6"
3,4,and 5 are from cental CA
#3 is an old road through a stump. The tree fell in a storm in the sixties.
#4 is a decent sized hole through a down log.
#5 is a pic of a pretty common sized tree in the Serria's

Do trees from the PSW count?
The first two are from local log yards.
#1 is a three log load.
#2 The short logs are 16'6"
3,4,and 5 are from cental CA
#3 is an old road through a stump. The tree fell in a storm in the sixties.
#4 is a decent sized hole through a down log.
#5 is a pic of a pretty common sized tree in the Serria's

so maybe i need to shift my logging focus a little farther south.......:chainsaw:

so maybe i need to shift my logging focus a little farther south.......:chainsaw:

Check out Joe Woods pics here. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=60669
I never have a camera with me to get any good pics.

Good luck getting a job here. There was a huge rush when the bark beetle epidemic hit, but it is over now. I am just about The Last of the Mohican's. A few years ago their was several hundred people here cutting trees, now there are just a few.

So size does matter

I asked Mr Kelly what was the largest tree he ever cut was.

He didn't think it was the one that was 13 feet on the stump. He thought it was the one that was 292' to the first break.

For the most part, if you want big trees still being cut you'll have to go to BC.

Latest posts

Back