pole saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Since my climbing days are more-or-less over, I'm thinking about getting a pole saw. Something with a good long reach, but it doesn't need to be terribly fancy. I'd even consider electric and battery powered. I don't plan on using it a whole lot, but I don't want cheap junk either. Max budget is $500, but I'd really like to keep it under $400. Any advice?

I have the Remington model available from Home Depot for $179.

It does what it is asked however it doesn't have a lot of reach which means you need to stand almost directly under higher branches and then skidaddle when they start to come down. I used a rented Stihl with a telescoping pole last summer and that was real nice. I might suggest looking for one of the mid level brands with a telescoping pole.

I got a stihl last year , it sure runs good with more power than i expected . Maybe ck the pawn shops or service shops for a used one .

I never do pawn shops. Nothing but junk, and the prices are slightly higher than what you would buy new.

I have an Echo PPT280
Not cheap, very well made.
It has lots of power and a long reach.
http://www.echo.ca/Products/Power-Pruners/PPT-280

Looks very tempting, but it's about $250 over the price range. But then, everything I'm looking at seems to be in that range. I guess if I want quality, I'm going to have to pay for it.

I've seen the ex-rental Echo pole saws for $300 @ home depot.

ex-rental equipment is a great deal. Got one or two items that were once rentals. Very happy with them.

I don't typically respond but have to second the echo unit with 4'extension. It's a wicked amount of functionality...

"don't typically respond' ?!?!? You've been here 9 years and this is your second post! lol! How about "don't EVER respond." :rolleyes:

Where in MT? Missoula? (It's OK - you can still respond) :drinking:

The little Remington 10" electric we got a couple years back works well. Not a big fan of electric saws ~ tree limbs (and yer feet) can easily get tangled in the extension cord. But for occasional use around the house it's been great.

For what little we use it, it'll probably last forever. :)

I have an Echo PPT280
Not cheap, very well made.
It has lots of power and a long reach.
http://www.echo.ca/Products/Power-Pruners/PPT-280

I have an Echo PPT280 also. additionally, I have the extension, too. nice unit. well made... reaches... way-y up... an upgraded harness can be beneficial... I do like my Echo equipment... I used my Echo 266T trimmer yesterday afternoon... lots of smooth high performance torque! cuts like hot knife thru butter. I have an even larger Echo trimmer for trimming country fence lines around the compound... been using that unit for nearly 20 yrs... still starts right up!!! very powerful, too... I might add. :)

you don't have to buy a top of the line pole saw to get quality. for example, imo... any Echo pole saw is a quality unit. C L might be a good source, too. I see them from time to time. I would not buy one used, unless the seller had orig invoice, operator's manual, tools, etc... otherwise... just a pole saw, no documentation... I would be suspect of its origin...

plan to use my Echo CS 271T chainsaw later today on some further 'whittling' on my latest scrounded oak wood pile. the featherlite is a joy to use, imo very powerful... and cuts one he** of a mean kerf... and I might add: fast.

http://www.echo.ca/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-271T

let us know what you decide on...

I don't typically respond but have to second the echo unit with 4'extension. It's a wicked amount of functionality...
Alright. . . Way to get that 2nd post brother Woodcutter! If you didn't live so far away, I would find a reason for you to lend me that Echo with the extension. . . . I have an 8 year old black Lab I could trade you. . . he seems smart and all that. He has "stalker" tendencies though. . .no matter where you are if you put on your shoes or glasses he somehow knows and feels that you should do something that involves him. So, I guess what I am saying is, that if you don't wear shoes or glasses he would be a great dog. . . I can ship him to you and if you like him you could ship the Echo. . .and if you don't like him, it might be best if you started wearing contact lenses and thick socks....Yeah

I've got an Echo, it's a true 2 stroke, runs great. Will tire out your back just like a Stihl when extended fully.

The little Remington 10" electric

Laughed at myself last year...but I couldn't make out what size the the chain was and mine desperately needed a sharpening...so I brought the saw into my local where the loggers go Stihl shop and asked them for the proper file :D

That little bugger is in my top-10 list for the best money for the dollar tools I've ever bought.

=====
I am going to have to bite the bullet soon and actually have, gasp, contractors on my property for the first time in years. The house service took a hit in a snow storm this winter that needs an electrician to properly repair the sacrificial link to the weatherhead, and I reckon before I pay for that I need a tree service to spend a couple hours to trim up the trees that endanger said service. What remains to be trimmed on them is too close to the house service for my skill level to attempt.

Mines a Husqvarna and it works really good...

I don't know if it's better or worse than any other brand, cuz I never owned any other brand! lol

SR

I've got an Echo, it's a true 2 stroke, runs great. Will tire out your back just like a Stihl when extended fully.

no doubt! running a pole saw is serious work!!! I take each limb or cut as a single project. once completed safely, I stop! go rest, etc do other stuff. then come back and do another pole saw project... this procedure works well for me and is in guidelines of Pole Saw Safety.... :)

:yes:

no doubt! running a pole saw is serious work!!! I take each limb or cut as a single project. once completed safely, I stop! go rest, etc do other stuff. then come back and do another pole saw project... this procedure works well for me and is in guidelines of Pole Saw Safety.... :)

:yes:

The one thing I have learned running a pole saw is to make several cuts, especially as the limb gets bigger. If one tries to take off a limb in one cut, it increases the odds of the bar pinching as the limbs starts to fall. Then it is easy for the limb to take the saw with it and bend the power shaft. Very expensive thing to fix. The closer you are to vertical, the more this increases the risk.

Latest posts

Back