pole saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Stihl HT131 for the tree service. Zero regrets on that one. It pulls a 12" bar buried in oak all day if needed. Cuts under water. Saved my body from being crushed under storm damaged trees many times. I highly recommend coughing up the extra for the Stihl

Edit: it's also a four/mix engine so it's a torque monster

Only use mine once or twice a year . About 80 dollar electric Remington been using it a few years now use a little 1500 watt generator when the cord is not long enough . Just could not see paying a lot for no more than I use it.

PPF-225
21.2cc Power Pruner with i-30 Starter
★★★★★★★★★★4.8 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(17)

Fixed shaft Power Pruner cuts tough jobs down to size
MSRP: $399.99 *

FIND A STOREBUY NOW
PPF-280
28.1cc Power Pruner
★★★★★★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(1)

Extended length fixed shaft Power Pruner®
MSRP: $449.99 *

FIND A STOREBUY NOW
PPT-266
25.4 cc Power Pruner with i-30 Starter
★★★★★★★★★★4.9 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(9)

Professional features and long-reach cutting ability.
MSRP: $599.99 *

FIND A STOREBUY NOW
PPT-266H
25.4 cc Power Pruner with i-30 Starter and Straight Handle
★★★★★★★★★★5 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(3)

Trimmer-style handle and long-reach cutting ability
MSRP: $599.99 *

FIND A STOREBUY NOW
PPT-280
28.1cc Power Pruner
★★★★★★★★★★4.8 out of 5 stars. Read reviews.
(11)

Extra-long reach combined with outstanding cutting ability
MSRP: $659.99 *

hope it gives you an idea on price

I agree, as I do not use one enough to need a gas model. I can roll the 6500 watt gen in the truck and go cut limbs. ( with help )

I don't think I have ever seen a pole saw that is not quality... I kinda think the issue here is utility. what is best for one might be more than another needs. heck, even my rope pull loper has quality, but might not meet other's utility needs... even a hand pole saw can do a lot of work... you know... the kind the engine is your arms... lol ;)

I do like getting up in my tractor's bucket... raised high... and then carefully take down a high limb needing to be removed, etc... great 'reach utility' combo! ;)

I knew the dealer and did a fair amount of business with him, he sold me the Echo PPT-266 for $500. Only thing I didn't like about it and it is hard to explain is the position of the operator presence lever on the loop handle. It way too far forward and you need your hand on the back of handle to deal with the extreme leverage generated when the pole is extended. So I zip tied the operator presence lever and now I can easily use the throttle trigger when reaching.

I don't use this a lot and generally use canned fuel in this and the Echo top handle due to infrequent use. A quart of gas goes a long way in a pole saw. In minutes you can create an hours worth of clean up work.

FWIW, this first time I used it on a job, it paid for half itself in an hour of running.

Well, I got my pole saw. Thought you might like to see it. It was a lot more expensive than I intended, but it came with a tractor so I'm not complaining. Still, it's not easy to scoop stuff up with a 12' pole welded to the bucket.

pole saw.jpg

Seriously, I got the Echo with an extension pole, so I've got 16' now. Will use it sometime next week.

Well, I got my pole saw. Thought you might like to see it. It was a lot more expensive than I intended, but it came with a tractor so I'm not complaining. Still, it's not easy to scoop stuff up with a 12' pole welded to the bucket.

View attachment 496037

Seriously, I got the Echo with an extension pole, so I've got 16' now. Will use it sometime next week.

Why is there a black door in the middle of your yard and where does it lead to? You see those in Ohio quite often but never south of that.
Did you buy that on EBay and have it shipped to your location?

Why is there a black door in the middle of your yard and where does it lead to? You see those in Ohio quite often but never south of that.
Did you buy that on EBay and have it shipped to your location?

It leads down the rabbit hole.

I have an older Stihl HT-75 that I has been spectacular IMO. I used it friday and it proved itself to me. Mind you I thought I was over taxing it taking on some thick limbs but it just chugged along. Spend a bit more and get some quality. I have never seen any of the tree guys use an echo so I can not comment.

I have a Poulan limb saw tied to a Toro power head, after the Poulan quit. Do the Echo shaft unit hook up like the Poulan, Toro but NOT Sthyl. Someone on here steered me to the Toro unit from HD and it works mighty good for me and was about 125$ or so.

Mines a Husqvarna and it works really good...

I don't know if it's better or worse than any other brand, cuz I never owned any other brand! lol

SR
Ive got the husqvarna from lowes and it does what I need it Ryu o do.

I have two multitools, one from Stihl and the second from Hitachi/Tanaka. Both with extension and chainsaw. If one doesn't have a lot of wood to cut that is in my eyes a valid way to go.

Although I will add that extension hand saws of proper quality can be exceptionally great tools to use. I am speaking of something in the league like silky or similar. Further they can usually be extended WAY higher than a "mechanical" saw. But last they are NOT cheap!

Since my climbing days are more-or-less over, I'm thinking about getting a pole saw. Something with a good long reach, but it doesn't need to be terribly fancy. I'd even consider electric and battery powered. I don't plan on using it a whole lot, but I don't want cheap junk either. Max budget is $500, but I'd really like to keep it under $400. Any advice?

I mounted a hand held corona razor saw to a 21' pole section of a cyclone fence.
Works great for a pole saw. Cuts fast and holds up great.
http://coronatoolsusa.com/7100-1-blade-rs-7130.html
13zv788.jpg

Latest posts

Back