Poll: What is the saw to have in the 70-80cc range?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the saw to have in the 70-80cc range?

• Husqvarna 372xp

Votes: 68 25.4%
  • Husqvarna 372 Xtorq

Votes: 26 9.7%
  • Stihl 044/440

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Stihl 046/460

Votes: 19 7.1%
  • Stihl 461

Votes: 38 14.2%
  • Dolmar 7900/7910

Votes: 73 27.2%
  • Stihl 441/441CM

Votes: 25 9.3%
  • Stihl 44/46 hybrid

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Husqvarna 576

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Husqvarna 372xpw

Votes: 31 11.6%

• Total voters
Yah, I am sticking with carbs for now as well. 462 is going to be a while yet. The 461 engine with the exhaust scavenging, Mtronic, and spring loaded. Maybe even a laser (outside North America). AV requirements are getting tougher. The 461 was just a stop gap saw to tie things over. The 661 fiasco has slowed them down/pushed them back with new releases.
462 is not as far off as you may think. There are some 461's fitted with m-tron and other goodies being tested now.

I buy at stihl cost and they are still too damn expensive. All I will say is that several "high profile " members here all but called me a liar on the existence of the 362, the release of the 261, and the second coming of the ms440. You will see the 461cm/ 462cm for sale in the states by late spring 2016. So, roughly a year or so according to my source.

I buy at stihl cost and they are still too damn expensive. All I will say is that several "high profile " members here all but called me a liar on the existence of the 362, the release of the 261, and the second coming of the ms440. You will see the 461cm/ 462cm for sale in the states by late spring 2016. So, roughly a year or so according to my source.

I heard about the same thing sir.

327 xpw. With its weight I can limb and buck as long as I need to without going to my truck for another size saw. I've had to climb bigger takedowns that required my 372 to get the job done. Good vibes and filtration to. I sold it a week ago and now I'm looking for another one because its my favorite model to run.

462 is not as far off as you may think. There are some 461's fitted with m-tron and other goodies being tested now.

Yah, but testing is usually a year out from production and release. We saw that with the 461 here and the 661 in the EU. Also they will be more careful and thorough with testing and early production after the 661 recall (a complete failure for Stihl). Though if the engine is the same as the 461, they will be ahead of the game there. Lots of rumors out there. On Butch's site, the bozo Holeman trees says the 462 will have FI. He has also cut 2 million trees in Canada, cut with Andreas Stihl himself, and done other supernatural feats of wonder. Those Canadians know it all.

So, roughly a year or so according to my source.

That is still a ways out. They will release them in Germany and the UE first, and then Canada and then here, and then finally in Oz, if it is like previous larger German made saw releases. Anyone that is testing a pre release or prototype Stihl (or Husky) saw will have had to sign a non-disclosure, and thus they cannot say a peep about them, lest they be held liable. No photos, no looking under the hood, no boasting about using them.

Yah, but testing is usually a year out from production and release. We saw that with the 461 here and the 661 in the EU. Also they will be more careful and thorough with testing and early production after the 661 recall (a complete failure for Stihl). Though if the engine is the same as the 461, they will be ahead of the game there. Lots of rumors out there. On Butch's site, the bozo Holeman trees says the 462 will have FI. He has also cut 2 million trees in Canada, cut with Andreas Stihl himself, and done other supernatural feats of wonder. Those Canadians know it all.

That is still a ways out. They will release them in Germany and the UE first, and then Canada and then here, and then finally in Oz, if it is like previous larger German made saw releases. Anyone that is testing a pre release or prototype Stihl (or Husky) saw will have had to sign a non-disclosure, and thus they cannot say a peep about them, lest they be held liable. No photos, no looking under the hood, no boasting about using them.
i think we will see FI saws soon enough, m-tronic is the stepping stone for that. they have already spoke of it in the meeting at VA-Beach. didn't we see a pre-production 461 on here a while back?

how much more bulk/ weight can the 441 have over the 440??? I think the odd shape of the 441 fools people to some extent.

The 441 is way wider than the 440 was. It is noticeable cutting with it. It is also heavier by about 3/4 of a pound. I also find the 441 is also more complicated to tear down and harder to tune than the 440 was.

The other question is, where is the next Husky 372 replacement? They have been field testing them like, forever now.
with the issues on the 562, husky need to step up their r & d, and the field testing. thats why i was so leary pulling the trigger on my new 2260. they seem to push things to market to quickly. at least with stihl, once they knew of he 661 issue, they pulled them all back and fixed the issue instead of pushing the poor dealers to fix it, and deal with pissed off customers

The 441 is way wider than the 440 was. It is noticeable cutting with it. It is also heavier by about 3/4 of a pound. I also find the 441 is also more complicated to tear down and harder to tune than the 440 was.
buy a 441cmr, and you don't have to tune it or tear it down. just run the snot out of it. a ported one will quickly make you forget any extra bulk.:D

i think we will see FI saws soon enough, m-tronic is the stepping stone for that. they have already spoke of it in the meeting at VA-Beach. didn't we see a pre-production 461 on here a while back?

They (Stihl) already have FI in production on the cut off saws. I don't know about any pre-production photos... not supposed to do that. May have been after the fact. I know several guys that tested them here in the PNW, but mum's the word from them about it. Some guys in Oz posted information from them about it, but it was second hand.

buy a 441cmr, and you don't have to tune it or tear it down. just run the snot out of it. a ported one will quickly make you forget any extra bulk.:D

Prove that Mtronic works longer term, and I will think about it. But for now I am keeping my orange screwdriver. I know they are releasing non-Mtronic 661s in eastern Europe, and I would like to get one.

Prove that Mtronic works longer term, and I will think about it. But for now I am keeping my orange screwdriver. I know they are releasing non-Mtronic 661s in eastern Europe, and I would like to get one.
i have not heard of many issues with 441's, have seen a couple of solenoid issues on the latest 261's. i am fine with carrying the orange screwdrivers as well. to be honest 99% of my firewood is cut with 024/026 saws, i have an older 362 and 600p echo for the bigger stuff. i have very little interest in messing with wood that a 20" bar wont cut anymore.

Latest posts

Back