Poping trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't see what any of this has to do with Catholicism!
Or....is that Popeing?

Here is my serious question on this subject. It seems like the sap that is removed from the tree would be necessary for the health of the tree. I would think the tree would need that to help "burst" into life come spring.
Now I know this tapping of the trees has been going on for "pretty much ever" and maples aren't falling over dead because of it but it is something I've always wondered about.
My neighbor lives on a very large, syrup farm that is no longer tapped and last year they had all their old maples logged off. Over 200 of them and they were monsters. Loggers had to cut real high on the stump to avoid all the taps he told me. I think it would be cool to slice a cookie of one with the tap showing and use it for an end table or something!
He told me the only reason he had them cut was because they were falling off their prime and he figured he would get some money out of them before they fell apart. 400+ acres of almost solid woods with a small river running through it. It makes for the best neighbors! LOL They are smack dab in the middle of it with their house being over 1/2 mile off the road.

According to the experts the amount of sap removed, because of the fairly short duration of the flow, is well within the safe zone of sap loss for a maple. Of course if there was an ice storm or some other incident, where multiple branches were broken or bruised, plus the actual tapping process, the tree could lose more sap than it could safely withstand. The number of taps per tree is also important, too many and the tree may suffer. There is never a good reason to leave a plastic tap or metal spile in a tree after the flow stops. A new hole needs to be drilled every year as the old one seals itself once the flow stops. If the loggers cut high on the stump, it may have been undamaged, or veneer grade logs they were after, and not just the fact that metal spiles were left in the tree.

Sure... why not... whatever it takes to end this.

I am wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong... dead-azz wrong‼

Let's move on to something... like... hmmmmmm... how 'bout... which is better in an EPA certified stove, bias ply or radial tires?? :D
Hmmmm..... I like threads about EPA certified stoves. Is there something wrong with that or does it just irritate your giant pulsating brain? Remember not everyone has a giant pulsating brain.

Hmmmm..... I like threads about EPA certified stoves. Is there something wrong with that or does it just irritate your giant pulsating brain? Remember not everyone has a giant pulsating brain.

Here's white spider monkey's diagnosis..............http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder Fits like a glove. I'm not a shrink, but I do have medical professionals in the family. I strongly believe this is an accurate diagnosis. There is hope for him with cognitive therapy.
Best advice is to put him on the ignore list. Worked for me. I'll never have to wade through his detritus again.

There definitely is some internal activity going on in the trees where I am at.

Friday was a really nice day and Saturday morning I woke up to -10.

When I went out to fill the stove at 0600 there were a couple loud bangs in the woods. I thought that was odd for only -10 but remembered that it was in the 30's on Friday.

Either that or the Flying Squirrels caught a couple of Grays in their perimeter. I thought they were shiftier than usual Friday night when I saw them zipping around while I was on skunk patrol.

Back