Porting/modding my first 026 Please Help!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papossefan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am getting ready to do my first saw mod and would like some advice. I want to port a 026, increase compression and go with a 044 carb. I would like to get around 120 psi compression, anyone know about how much squish I will need to achieve this on an 026??? Has anyone does this to an 026 recently? Care to share any pics? Thanks in advance

Ryan

Hi Ryan, I have a MS260 Pro but it is currently stock. Hope all goes well with your build. I am getting ready to do a 034 shortly with a 036 jug and piston. I will tell you squish numbers, compression figures, timing adjustments, etc. when I get into it. Squish depends on where you are starting from. Get several measurements from both sides of the jug. Also, go ahead and widen the intake and exhaust. I would leave the timing where it is; do not remove material from the top and bottom of the intake and exhaust ports only from the sides. Removing from the top and bottom will adjust the saw's timing. Also, read up on transfer ports and how to "clean them up" as well.

When removing material, use good cutters and go really slow. I can't over emphasize this enough.

There is tons of information on how to do this on this site. Alot more folks more knowledgeable than I. Do some searches and prepared to be overwhelmed with material. Make sure you research and read a lot before starting and you will be fine. Don't get in a hurry. Think each action through before doing it.

Take care and have a blessed evening.

Trever

I am getting ready to do my first saw mod and would like some advice. I want to port a 026, increase compression and go with a 044 carb. I would like to get around 120 psi compression, anyone know about how much squish I will need to achieve this on an 026??? Has anyone does this to an 026 recently? Care to share any pics? Thanks in advance

Ryan
Your 120 number is nuts! You need 150 psi for the saw to even be a good runner. I seriously doubt you want an 044 carb, the air filter don't flow enough for the stock carb when it's reved up high.If you want higher compression get someone with a lathe cut the squish band .020" - .030", that will get you 195 psi to 200 + Then it will be mandatory to put a degree wheel on and re time the ports.

Ryan
Good to see a fellow Sprint car fan lol. Good luck with your build too. Lots of informative threads on here.

Ryan
Good luck. I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you need to read, a lot.

Latest posts

Back