Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 306750View attachment 306751

hi guys,

ive been reading this forum for a while, and thought i would contribute.

This is my wood pile so far. Ive just moved onto a block of land with alot of tree's. Lots of them are covering in my future house site and orchard so im going thru and clear felling those areas. The rest are in desperate need of a thin, so im taking out all the smaller stuff and draggin it out with my tractor and a wire rope.
I have made this stack, will split it all and look at selling next winter.

Since reading this forum i have learned heaps. The main thing Ive picked up is forestry tractor winches/ skidding winches. I never knew these existed, and solve the exact problem im having. I have looked high and low in New zealand for one, and only found one place that imports and sell them. The smallest one retails at $8,900NZD, with is about $7,100USD. how does this compare to your prices? im guessing its around double what you guys would pay. its on the wish list. I see how much cash i get from this years firewood, and if it works out like i hope, then i might be in for a brand new winch. anyway, dreams are free.
G'Day John. Don't buy the winch here mate - the dealers are beyond sane in their price expectations. But if you've got a fair bit to do, the winch is a superb attachment. Bought mine from USA a few years ago.

What's the max weight you want to be winching, what is the HP at the 3PH on the tractor (or of the tractor if you are not sure what it is at the 3PH), what sort of winch distances do you need to achieve, how hilly is the terrain likely to be and do you have any ways to make access and landings on the hilly stuff, will you be mainly working alone, how much do you think you'll be doing, how much fabrication and welding work can you do yourself?

Having learned a fair bit over the years with my lil 50HP tractor and 4t logging winch, there's plenty I would do different and more I still need to do for the best setup so maybe I can help you avoid some mistakes and poor decisions.

Cut one Ash today, neighbor/woods buddy cracked the frame on his truck. Guess I will be doing wood on my own for a while. I'm beat from having to throw rounds towards the truck twice to get them there. Then load them and run em home. Took 3 trips for one tree!

New ES bar is different cutting with. Stiffer with more vibration when not under full load. Still, only took me a little while to cut. Started at 1pm finished the split pile around 4:30!

null_zpsb0348f81.jpg

raining(by that i mean pouring) here on and off all day no splitting but over the past three days i have split no stacked over 3 cords.

heres my wood for the downstairs wood stove. finally im ahead on wood and have started logging next years wood. my mad scramble for firewood was getting annoying.

View attachment 307148

heres my wood for the downstairs wood stove. finally im ahead on wood and have started logging next years wood. my mad scramble for firewood was getting annoying.

View attachment 307148

Nice lookin' pile of wood "neighbah"..... :msp_thumbup:
It's a great position to be in not having to "scramble" to get wood in for the upcoming winter ain't it? :clap:

307148-misc-120-jpg

Nice lookin' pile of wood "neighbah"..... :msp_thumbup:
It's a great position to be in not having to "scramble" to get wood in for the upcoming winter ain't it? :clap:

307148-misc-120-jpg
[/QUOTE

its sure does feel good. Last year i had to dig out some logs from my wood pile an hour and a half away in three feet of snow cause i ran out. Never ever again!

I've been cutting and splitting since the beginning of July. Late start for me. Hours are slim at work so in the meantime- this is my job.

Wow that is clean. So does the wood stay stacked when the wind blows and those pines start a swayin?

They sway a bit but nothing major. All that wood will be gone first anyway. There is a hill on the other side that drops down a lot... Lots of wind through there all the time- quick drying times.

Nice work Joe, I like your "wood pile guard dogs", our neighbor right across the street has a beautiful shepard. :msp_thumbup:

More like wood pile thieves... Every time I turn around they grab a piece from my splittin' pile.
:msp_thumbsup:
They do keep an eye on the place for me though.

More like wood pile thieves... Every time I turn around they grab a piece from my splittin' pile.
:msp_thumbsup:
They do keep an eye on the place for me though.

I couldn't help it, I laughed right out loud! :D
Our neighbor's shepard will do the same thing to me if I don't keep an eye on him.....:hmm3grin2orange:

This is my saw and axe guard:
null_zpsb0fd6829.jpg

Saw is on the floor, they are next to it every time, not sure why? I really need to clean my work bench off...

Time to get to work. I have a lot of cutting splitting and cleaning to do. Don't mind the mess guys...that is how I roll this time of year. :big_smile:
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

This is my saw and axe guard:
null_zpsb0fd6829.jpg

Saw is on the floor, they are next to it every time, not sure why? I really need to clean my work bench off...

Is that a good idea? Then the dogs may want to sleep on the bench, lol!!

Back