Post your best saw scores under $100

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may not count, but...

I was browsing eBay one day and spotted a BIN listing for two unidentified Jonsered saws. I was able to figure out the 670 with a little research, but the second saw had me baffled (I was a newbie). I hit the BIN of $170.00, with shipping about $200.00 total, IIRC.

The second saw turned out to be an 801. Both were basically complete, just needed a few parts nothing too expensive, & a little tinkering. Now if you calculate the time I spent cleaning the 1/2 inch of crud off the outside & inside of both saws.........

The 670 I still have, the 801 went to PB (check out his BIL thread :dizzy:!).

Here is a 930 with heated handles I got for $70
100_0385-1.jpg

this is the 670 heated handles I got with it for another 70
100_0559.jpg

Here is my 6401 for 100
100_0557.jpg

here is a sp125 I got for 50
100_0138.jpg

346xo oe for 100
johnson103

and my baby a minty sxl for 25
100_0562.jpg

Wow! A couple of good looking saws there Jerry. How do you like that Husky?

When I found that one Jeff,.. the bar had nary a scratch on it,. however the saw had a big problem. It would stop running abruptly, just like a switch was shut off, it took me 3 tries to figure it out. There was a small piece of the carb gasket floating around in the fuel bowl and when the saw went to full throttle that piece would suck tight to the high speed jet and shut the saw off completely, removed the small bit of carb gasket and now the saw runs flawlessly. I might have run two tanks of fuel through that saw since I got it figured out, it`s still just like new, never use it as my Stihl and Sachs Dolmar saws are about all I ever use.

Pioneerguy600

said I would post pics once I had them... Technically I paid $75 for this 6401 and $26.32 for a carb kit so now that it's running perfect I am $1.32 over the $100... I still thought I was close enough to post it!
P1010749.jpg

P1010750.jpg

P1010751.jpg

P1010752.jpg

P1010753.jpg

Well a couple of years ago I saved a bunch of saws from the scrap dealer.
Old dealer was going to sell all of his saws for junk scrap price.
I end up selling and parting saws out on the 1/2's with him.
This is one load of many. So I ended up with a few saws on the cheap.
Dealer got way more money than he ever dreamed he thought he would
and It worked out good for us both :)

attachment.php

PS, Yes they are all gone but one or two project saws of my own.

TT

jonsered 510sp , stihl 015av = free. good runners
remington pl-5 free good runner
3 remington super 754's + 6 ton comealong $60 ( pkg. deal )

Well a couple of years ago I saved a bunch of saws from the scrap dealer.
Old dealer was going to sell all of his saws for junk scrap price.
I end up selling and parting saws out on the 1/2's with him.
This is one load of many. So I ended up with a few saws on the cheap.
Dealer got way more money than he ever dreamed he thought he would
and It worked out good for us both :)

PS, Yes they are all gone but one or two project saws of my own.

TT

:jawdrop:That was one load of many?????:dizzy:

What project saws didja keep out of the lot?

Running Stihl 090 at a yard sale two years ago - $20. Put another $150 into it for a new carb, non-busted clutch cover plate, and misc. small parts like a choke pull, decomp button, decal plate, etc., but still...

Running Stihl 041G in very good condition but needing an oiler overhaul, including 28" bar and near-new chisel chain; FREE at a local scrap metal dropoff bin back in the Spring. :)

Got a running Mac PM1000 with a leaky fuel tank two months ago for $40 at a yardsale.

181SE in good condition needing a fuel system rebuild at a pawnshop for $90 three years ago. Neither of us could get it to start (fuel line had rotted off from sitting too long in the back room while on pawn) so I offered the shop owner what he had into it plus $10 for handling and storage. Sold. Also got another running 181SE missing a muffler and top cover for $10 at the scrap last year; put about $75 into that one.

Siezed 066 in otherwise good condition for $100 even, at another pawnshop back in the spring. Put another $100 or so into it for a new piston, clutch side crank seal, and air filter.

Intact but semi-seized and not running Mac 7-55 for $5 from the scrapyard a few weeks ago.

Stihl 041 Super piston and cylinder, essentially free at scrapyard; installed onto an 041AV I paid $25 for.

Last edited:
Heh, a common theme with old Macs, as I'm finding more and more!

This thing is crazy. In this picture you can see a "button" and a "lever" on the top left side. You would think the lever is a choke, but no!! That is how you adjust the carb, push it forward to lean it out and pull it back to rich it up. The saw has no choke at all, but the "button" is a primer like the little rubber bubble on your string trimmer.

attachment.php

This thing is crazy. In this picture you can see a "button" and a "lever" on the top left side. You would think the lever is a choke, but no!! That is how you adjust the carb, push it forward to lean it out and pull it back to rich it up. The saw has no choke at all, but the "button" is a primer like the little rubber bubble on your string trimmer.

Nice. I always love to see Old Iron and Magnesium saved. BTW-That button actualy is a primer as you said (and many Macs used them instead of a choke for cold starting). Pushing the primer button shoots a spritz of mix into the engine. Many modern lawmowers have primer pumps or bulbs now too.

However, the "little rubber bubble" on your string trimmer (and on many new chainsaws as well) is not a primer. Your trimmer still has a choke (for cold starting). That "bubble" is a purge bulb. It pumps fuel through the carb (and back into the tank), purging all the air out of the system so you don't have to crank the engine so many times before starting.

I scored a freebee Homelite Super-XL12 from a buddy (who saved it from the trash) last weekend. Has some 'white death' corrosion issues that need attention ASAP, and needs the usual carb kit and cleaning. Wears a 16" replaceable sprocket-tip Windsor bar and a good 3/8" RC chain. Looks to have been sharpened, briefly used, then set on the shelf (with gas....argh) for a LONG time. Before the corrosion set in, it appeared to have almost ALL of the original blue/white paint and decals intact....

Yesterday I got a Homelite XP1020 from a guy who answered my CL ad. Got it on the way to work as the seller was five minutes from my house! It's a bit tired, and has a cracked clutch cover and some piston scoring. Hopefully the cylinder is salvageable. Wears a 30" Cannon roller nose bar and a good loop of full comp .404 RC. Has a full-wrap handlebar, the original starter handle (funky but cool), and the bigger 'redwood' dogs. Gonna rebuild and repaint this bad boy. Into it for well below a Franklin (so far).

Last edited:
My best? The Pioneer RA, $40 from CL...Pictured with the hardhat Avalancher sent around for people to sign...

Can't find the pic of Buzz Sawyer drooling over it at the GTG last year...

Latest posts

Back