Poulan 3400 muffler mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenmachine3400

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know this has been posted a few times. This is my first try at this. I removed the baffle (spark arrester) put two short pipes in there to support muffler pieces. I cut a slice in the outside of the muffler and drilled two holes in lower front of muffler. I drilled several small holes into air cleaner housing top cover. I sprayed out air filter really good with brake cleaner and blew it out good with air. Like I said this is my first times so I'm still learning. After looking at many old treads on here I decided to try this. I wasn't able to view many pictures as they all had X's on them. I took some pictures of what I have done.

Now my question is the carb adjustment? I see most say to open high screw 1/8 to 1/4 turn to richen high speed. Is this correct? I have not put the muffler back on yet so have not ran it. I cant believe how restricted that muffler is. A 6 small holes on backside on top. I cant believe it could run like that. It must have ran really hot. It should breath good now. I seen some say advance the timing 2 degrees too? do I need to do this? I plan on a base gasket delete at some point too. Not right now

I have three 3400's one is becoming a parts saw and two smaller ones. I really like these ol green machines. My buddy laughs at me when we are out cutting firewood and I grab the the old 3400 instead of my new Stihl MS311. Hopefully I can get some more RPM's now and run with my 311. Both saws have 20" bars with really sharp ground chains and filed rakers. The 311 is 59cc and 4.2hp where the 3400 is 54cc cant a true hp rating on it. The 3400 is 40 yrs old a lot lower compression turns quite a bit lower RPM's but still hangs right in there cutting 20" oak. Hopefully now when it can breath better it will run with that 311. The 311 probably has a choked muffler too. Bought a chain grinder sharpener at Harbor Freight for $30 best $30 I ever spent. My buddy and I always have sharp chains now. What a difference on how our saw's cut now. Thanks for the post! This is a great sight. I really enjoy reading about these old green machines.

Attachments

• IMG_4095.jpeg
    IMG_4095.jpeg
    507.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4096.jpeg
    IMG_4096.jpeg
    601 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4097.jpeg
    IMG_4097.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4098.jpeg
    IMG_4098.jpeg
    549.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4099.jpeg
    IMG_4099.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 0
If the 311 last like it dont for some folks. Your 3400 will outlast it still even with many years under it's belt already.
GL and keep working on them and learning. Like the side gill. Sort of like a 4000 way.

I'm down to 3 in that series. 4000 3.7 that is red and thin ring 3700 not the 3800 like some are. A 3.4 that was sold as 3.0 by sears for price point.

Mostly just flip them or part them off anymore.

4000 was my root cutter last year.

Attachments

• p4000han.jpg
    p4000han.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 0
  • rootttt.jpg
    rootttt.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 0
Well I took the ol green beast out today to see how it would run with with air and exhaust opened up. Wow! Its like a completely different saw. Revs quite a bit higher and pulls way better. I stuck it in a 20" red oak and let her beller. I think its pretty close to that MS311 now. What a difference. It's a little on load side but it really cuts.

I think I'm goin to take the cylinder off my parts saw or buy another on evilbay for $20. Can anyone tell me where i can send it to get ported and base cut down?

Well I took the ol green beast out today to see how it would run with with air and exhaust opened up. Wow! Its like a completely different saw. Revs quite a bit higher and pulls way better. I stuck it in a 20" red oak and let her beller. I think its pretty close to that MS311 now. What a difference. It's a little on load side but it really cuts.

I think I'm goin to take the cylinder off my parts saw or buy another on evilbay for $20. Can anyone tell me where i can send it to get ported and base cut down?
Better learn to do that yourself. Porting.

Guys doing it now days wanting 250-400 for a saw done. That saw is a 50-100 saw on a good day. See what I am saying. Best learn yourself.

Here is a running 3400 I sold to local for 50.

Attachments

• p3400.jpg
    p3400.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back