Poulan Pro 335

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Picked up this Poulan Pro 335 at the pawnshop for $99 today:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It was a bit dirty, but otherwise in excellent shape. The only problem I could find anywhere on it is a broken rubber bushing on the front AV mount (you can see it hanging low below the oil cap). Shouldn't be too expensive to fix. Does that cross-reference to a Husky part number? P/C are in perfect shape, carb and fuel lines are good, chainbrake works great. It's running a 16" .325 bar right now, but the chain is pretty much hosed. I'll get a new one tomorrow when I'm at the dealer looking for the AV mount. Also, what tool is needed to get the clutch off of these? There's no "nut" to put a socket on. Looks like it needs some sort of two-post driver or something.

This thing runs really strong and has just under 160LBS compression. I actually bought it because I was in the pawnshop last week with my Dad, and he expressed interest in it. So it'll probably end up going to him for a firewood saw. He currently has one of the newer el-cheapo big-box Poulan 42cc saws, which IMO is a piece of garbage. I did a bit of digging here about this saw before buying it, and it seems like most think the 335 was about the last decent saw that Poulan made before being sold out to the big-box stores. Am I right on this? I plan on opening the muffler quite a bit as the existing opening is tiny. Would it be worth porting a bit though?

If you have a Poulan dealer than the part is still availible. I get my Poulan parts from a Jonsered dealer.

Brad, that's a pretty good saw you got there!

Make sure you specify if you have a 335 type 1 or 2 as the isolator is different. You said rubber though so I'm thinking you have a type 1 and that part # is 530-027393.

Do your self a favor and get the correct Poulan clutch removal tool, there less then $5 and worth every penny.

The one Baileys list won't work on that saw, there's is for the smaller saws. The one you want it part# 530031116.

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the IPL for that saw.

The first saw that I ever bought was a 335 pro. The year was 1989. In my opinion very good saw. Mind does not have a chain brake, did not come with one then. I used this saw hard til about two years ago. Never any problems. This year had new gas lines put on because old ones started cracking and leaking. Don't use much any more just one tank of gas this year, mostly because no chain brake, and this CAD disease that I have. Use my other saws now. That Poulan does run good though. I will never get rid of it.

Here's mine

Poulan330.jpg

NOS clearance from TSC about a year ago. Serial # says it's an 05, it must be one of the very last of these made. I can't find any difference between the 330 and 335. Finding bars for this thing is next to impossible!

Poulan330.jpg

NOS clearance from TSC about a year ago. Serial # says it's an 05, it must be one of the very last of these made. I can't find any difference between the 330 and 335. Finding bars for this thing is next to impossible!

I HAVE 330 use huskey 20'' bar you need to use a 7/32 file and elongate adj hole till it lines up with adj on saw..

Last edited:
I adapted an old Husky 20" bar to fit mine, seems to work allright. I had to widen the slot a bit, otherwise it didn't want to go over the mounting studs.

Those are actually pretty good saws, known around here as "The ones with the switch on the back handle." :givebeer:

You are right that they are the last decent saws that were actually Poulan designs. Saws in this family were available in both green and yellow Poulan colors. (And of course, Craftsman gray). I'm not certain, but I think the design predates the Electrulux purchase, which would qualify them as "Pure Poulans" according to Sawtrolls' strict parameters. (Couldn't resist LOL) ModifiedMark, can you confirm that?

Despite all of the model sharing that was going on at the time, neither Husky or Jonsered had a saw from this chassis in their respective lineups. So, parts for these saws will not be available from either Husky or Jred unless the specific part was also used on other models. In the case of a mount, you might luck out.

Bars should not be a problem. I doubt that very many shops would have them in stock, but they can easily be ordered from several sources.

I recently tossed one of the craftsman versions in the dumpster. It needed a bar, chain, clutch and drum, and the guy didn't want to fix it. The rest is probably OK. I'll check to see if it's still there tomorrow.

One other thing I've always wondered about these saws: The pro/yellow versions of Poulans back then were supposed to differ from their green counterparts in that they had chrome cylinders while the green ones did not. Does anybody know if this was true, or was it just marketing BS?

I believe the PP 455 is a Pioneer based design and is a very well made and dependable saw from what I have read.

MY bad, I was referring to the orange 455 Rancher, a nuch more common saw of similar displacement and performance.

Those are actually pretty good saws, known around here as "The ones with the switch on the back handle." :givebeer:

You are right that they are the last decent saws that were actually Poulan designs. Saws in this family were available in both green and yellow Poulan colors. (And of course, Craftsman gray). I'm not certain, but I think the design predates the Electrulux purchase, which would qualify them as "Pure Poulans" according to Sawtrolls' strict parameters. (Couldn't resist LOL) ModifiedMark, can you confirm that?

Despite all of the model sharing that was going on at the time, neither Husky or Jonsered had a saw from this chassis in their respective lineups. So, parts for these saws will not be available from either Husky or Jred unless the specific part was also used on other models. In the case of a mount, you might luck out.

Bars should not be a problem. I doubt that very many shops would have them in stock, but they can easily be ordered from several sources.

I recently tossed one of the craftsman versions in the dumpster. It needed a bar, chain, clutch and drum, and the guy didn't want to fix it. The rest is probably OK. I'll check to see if it's still there tomorrow.

One other thing I've always wondered about these saws: The pro/yellow versions of Poulans back then were supposed to differ from their green counterparts in that they had chrome cylinders while the green ones did not. Does anybody know if this was true, or was it just marketing BS?

I just went through some of this a few weeks ago regarding the history of my Poulan Pro 325.

I don't know when the 305 and 335 were designed but they were first produced in 1988 about 2 years after the Electolux buyout.

As far as I can tell the 305 and 335 were the only Poulan designed saws in the Poulan Pro lineup in 1988 to go with the Partner and Pioneer rebadged saws.

Here is the link, but I didn't get a whole lot of help with it as far as facts go.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=92787&highlight=poulan+325

For what it's worth, I would consider them "Pure Poulans" because like you say they really don't have any parts interchange with anyone else's.

As far as the chrome plated Poulan Pro cylinders vrs the green ones unplated, I think that is the case. Seems there was one green one that had the plated cyl, though off hand I don't remember which one.

As far as parts for the 335, they should all be able to be ordered right from any Poulan dealer as well as online at poulanpro.com

I have a Poulan Pro 365 and honestly it's one of my favorite saws to run. It's got good power, light weight, and the balance and controls are very good. Very dependable also.

Ok, I had to find this out, or I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight. LOL

I went over to the Mike Acres site, and this family of saws does indeed predate the Electrolux purchase by about 2 years. So, it's a real Poulan you've got there. You have to check out the listing for the model 3000. There is a reprint ad from 1986 when these saws came out titled "Bad news for imports" Elux must have been so scared that they decided to buy the whole company. :givebeer::givebeer:

Ok, I had to find this out, or I wouldn't have been able to sleep tonight. LOL

I went over to the Mike Acres site, and this family of saws does indeed predate the Electrolux purchase by about 2 years. So, it's a real Poulan you've got there. You have to check out the listing for the model 3000. There is a reprint ad from 1986 when these saws came out titled "Bad news for imports" Elux must have been so scared that they decided to buy the whole company. :givebeer::givebeer:

I'm glad you made me go back and look at that, it was the 3000 in green that had the plated cyl! LOL

While I'm not real happy as to what Elux did with Poulan, I would have to think that it was a sound bussiness move for them. For good, bad or whatever, they have sold a ton of them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back