Poulan Pro 5020 - Anyone Seen One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No Whiskey Tango glare either. Didn't even recognize you. Good thing H. looks like her mom BTW....:D

Sorry about the phone call. Every time i try to make a call (or sneak off to the shed for some saw work) I get guilted out of it. Happens when the family is all cooped up due to rain. I'm going to be babysitting the little one soon. Wife and oldest are gonna be gone for the next 2-3 hours. Dunno how much of the playoff game I'm going to be able to watch. Will call you when I can. I've gotta remember that you're 3 hours ahead of me too.

Last edited:
No no... lol oops. A model 1950. WAY not as cool as a 1950 model. Just like this one:)

Poulan 1950 Woodshark Chainsaw | eBay

Still, for five clameronies, that ain't bad at all. I'm hoping to get some in the next batch. The wrench called me on the phone, said he had a batch ready to go out. I have to go in and negotiate now, but they are usually more than fair to me, like scrap prices. Supposedly some chains customers never picked up as well. We'll see what I get.

That's a pretty strong opinion for someone who has never seen, let alone held or used one. I find it ironic how some people discount the saw just because of the brand. My first saw was a 4620, and honestly, it is a better saw than my in-law's MS271. It came with a 20BPX chain, and though the bar is probably just a little big, it cuts just as fast, if not faster, for a fraction of the price of a 271. Husqvarna owns Poulan, and while it may not be made in the USA like some of the Stihls, you can't knock it for that because chances are the GM or Ford truck you drive because it's American made has 60-75% foreign assembled or built components in it.

Nick

He rides a scooter.

I was just looking at Poulans website the other day, wishing they made a little bigger saw.I was really wishing for a 65cc+.Maybe in time.Yes, I know, does a homeowner really need a 65cc+ saw.I do.:msp_smile:I like Stihls and Huskys just fine, but even a used one cost as much or more that this one.I'm not a very good mechanic, so that isn't always the best option for me.I would end up paying the difference at the sawshop if it needed much work.
If it has any quality at all to it, I'm sure it will be decent.Get rid of the vanguard chain, tune it and let 'er rip.For that price, the old lady might even let me try it out myself.
Hope to see some reviews of one after somebody runs it.

He rides a scooter.

What American company makes scooters? Oh, you mean a Sportster 883, don't you!

Does the 5020 come with a Vanguard chain? My 4620 came with Oregon BPX chain from the get go. I thought I would order a couple loops right away, and wouldn't you know it, all three are identical.

Nick

Just an interesting note, but PoulanPro.com doesn't even list the 4620 anymore...odd, eh?

Just an interesting note, but PoulanPro.com doesn't even list the 4620 anymore...odd, eh?
It's getting pretty old, and all they show are strato engines now. Still don't know why the PP5020 isn't shown.

Good features

The pp5020AV saw appears to me to have some good features. It has spring anti-vibe and, a XP husky style chain brake. Perhaps a Husqvarna influence on this design. I looked at the tech data on it, and can't really find anything to squawk. Clamshell vs pro engine?

There is a growing number of production saws with plastic cases, and when it comes right down to it, we replace just as many magnesium cases due to damage.

Personally, I want to get my hands on one of these after it has some time and use on it to see how it has held up. There is one on Ebay right now, but I'm sure someone will bid retail plus 10% to get it. lol

What American company makes scooters? Oh, you mean a Sportster 883, don't you!

Does the 5020 come with a Vanguard chain? My 4620 came with Oregon BPX chain from the get go. I thought I would order a couple loops right away, and wouldn't you know it, all three are identical.

Nick

No, the kind of scooter that also has pedals.

I thought I read in this thread that they came with vanguard chain, maybe I imagined that, I'm not sure.That happens to me sometimes.:D

So, do we know for sure if this is a stratocharged engine or not?

**edit**
Also, is the oiler adjustable? It is on my PP330 and I kinda like that.

Last edited:
No adjustable oiler on mine. She sure puts out the oil though.

How do I tell if it's stratocharged? It has the two inlet carb with the snorkel on top as the second inlet like a few of my newer Stihls. Does that help?

Well at least it is a strato engine. I want my next saw to be one of those, I'm sick and tired of breathing in acrid smoke while felling trees so I want the cleanest saw I can get. Honestly if battery electric saws were good enough I'd consider one of those even! But alas, they aren't so it's a moot point. Although I hear Stihl has a new one that might be a decent little limber.

Checked around online for prices.Amazon $199, Ace hard.$201, sears,$398.What's up with sears?

First, that's not the "sears" price but rather online retailers you can purchase from through sears.com.

Second, get the Craftsman from Sears if you want this saw, they sell it for $220 or so or $200 on sale.

Well at least it is a strato engine. I want my next saw to be one of those, I'm sick and tired of breathing in acrid smoke while felling trees so I want the cleanest saw I can get. Honestly if battery electric saws were good enough I'd consider one of those even! But alas, they aren't so it's a moot point. Although I hear Stihl has a new one that might be a decent little limber.

How large of trees do you need to do at a time? And are you cutting near your house? I can get a fair amount cut from my oregon batt saw. AFAIK it's the best one out there, and cheaper than the stihl, both for the saw and also for the batteries. I figured push comes to shove, cutting one batt worth a day (which I can recharge with my solar panels and an inverter), I could do all my firewood with mine easily, albeit I would skip any larger trees. One battery, the endurance size, is allegedly good for 1000 charges so that is two years and change cutting every day. For bar oil, three charges + a little on one small tank of oil.

I've found if I first use my fiskars hatchet and limb off what I don't want, then every cut is a "keeper" piece of wood. 1-4 inches you get the best mileage per battery charge, but it will cut out to 10" OK. It has a 14 inch bar and the powersharp self sharpening rig built in.

I have one of my stacks here has a little more than two cords in it, almost all of it done with my batt saw.

Besides being thrifty to use, and non stinky, it is also *quiet*. No need for earplugs running it.

How large of trees do you need to do at a time? And are you cutting near your house? I can get a fair amount cut from my oregon batt saw. AFAIK it's the best one out there, and cheaper than the stihl, both for the saw and also for the batteries. I figured push comes to shove, cutting one batt worth a day (which I can recharge with my solar panels and an inverter), I could do all my firewood with mine easily, albeit I would skip any larger trees. One battery, the endurance size, is allegedly good for 1000 charges so that is two years and change cutting every day. For bar oil, three charges + a little on one small tank of oil.

I've found if I first use my fiskars hatchet and limb off what I don't want, then every cut is a "keeper" piece of wood. 1-4 inches you get the best mileage per battery charge, but it will cut out to 10" OK. It has a 14 inch bar and the powersharp self sharpening rig built in.

I have one of my stacks here has a little more than two cords in it, almost all of it done with my batt saw.

Besides being thrifty to use, and non stinky, it is also *quiet*. No need for earplugs running it.

It sounds like when it comes time to replace my 339XP something like this may be just the ticket. Most of the time that saw is only seeing 4-6" wood. I do need a bigger saw too though, something that can regularly do 10-14" and periodically do up to 20". That's what I use my PP330 for now and eventually I figure I'll replace that with a newer strato saw - I'm actually thinking of maybe even going with something like the new Husqvarna 555 but we'll see. I'll probably run the PP330 for at least another couple years and the 339XP I could end up running even longer since it's such a nice saw.

It sounds like when it comes time to replace my 339XP something like this may be just the ticket. Most of the time that saw is only seeing 4-6" wood. I do need a bigger saw too though, something that can regularly do 10-14" and periodically do up to 20". That's what I use my PP330 for now and eventually I figure I'll replace that with a newer strato saw - I'm actually thinking of maybe even going with something like the new Husqvarna 555 but we'll see. I'll probably run the PP330 for at least another couple years and the 339XP I could end up running even longer since it's such a nice saw.

There's another option on 4-6 inch wood that is fast quiet and cheap. Bowsaw. When I lived in Maine I cut 5-6 cords a year with a 30" sandvik bowsaw. That was for heating and also a little sugaring from one big maple in the front yard. Pretty fast in that size wood. A 36" is another option for a bit longer stroke and more cutting power and speed.

I wouldn't go smaller than 30 though, you just don't get a good full stroke and you are limited on the diameter you can cut easily. I'd also suggest building a nice saw buck or getting one of those nifty branch and small log holders Bailey's has. Then you can do two hand cutting easier.

Give it a shot, they are cheap and you might like it. Quiet, no stinky fumes, you can actually accumulate some wood fast with one once you get your technique down. That and some sharp axes and hatchets and you can go to town.

There's another option on 4-6 inch wood that is fast quiet and cheap. Bowsaw. When I lived in Maine I cut 5-6 cords a year with a 30" sandvik bowsaw. That was for heating and also a little sugaring from one big maple in the front yard. Pretty fast in that size wood. A 36" is another option for a bit longer stroke and more cutting power and speed.

I wouldn't go smaller than 30 though, you just don't get a good full stroke and you are limited on the diameter you can cut easily. I'd also suggest building a nice saw buck or getting one of those nifty branch and small log holders Bailey's has. Then you can do two hand cutting easier.

Give it a shot, they are cheap and you might like it. Quiet, no stinky fumes, you can actually accumulate some wood fast with one once you get your technique down. That and some sharp axes and hatchets and you can go to town.

I might actually consider that. I'm working on the axes and hatchets right now. I finally have a good hatchet and two good axes. I'm working on a double headed axe as well that should be good for limbing/debarking/scarring neighbors when they show up in my yard and I'm splitting wood with a double headed axe while wearing chainmail armor.

Latest posts

Back